The Student Room Group

Chemistry in University of Edinburgh

Hello. I'm planning to apply to the University of Edinburgh for Chemistry. And then I figured out that there are 21 courses related to this subject area (including Chemistry, Chemistry with Environmental and Sustainable Chemistry, Chemistry with Material Chemistry etc.)
My question is: would it be wise to choose 2 to 3 courses within this subject area (i.e. Chemistry) in Edinburgh?
Reply 1
Simple answer: probably not

I can't say for certain about chemistry at Edinburgh but for most unis with sets of degrees like this, they will have a set number of places in their department so how ever many are doing each degree doesn't really matter. This then affects you because it would mean that you would get the same decision for each of your UCAS choices so that applying to 2 or 3 chemistry courses at one university then takes your 5 choices down to 4 or 3 effectively.

It will normally be easy to switch between the degrees in first and second year anyway as well as between BSc and MChem.
Reply 2
Original post by qno2
Simple answer: probably not

I can't say for certain about chemistry at Edinburgh but for most unis with sets of degrees like this, they will have a set number of places in their department so how ever many are doing each degree doesn't really matter. This then affects you because it would mean that you would get the same decision for each of your UCAS choices so that applying to 2 or 3 chemistry courses at one university then takes your 5 choices down to 4 or 3 effectively.

It will normally be easy to switch between the degrees in first and second year anyway as well as between BSc and MChem.

Thank you so much! And do you think it wise to choose chemistry and chemical engineering in an uni (Edinburgh for example) as two of my choices? Will it somehow affect my personal statement as I am crossing between two subjects?
Reply 3
Original post by annbee
Thank you so much! And do you think it wise to choose chemistry and chemical engineering in an uni (Edinburgh for example) as two of my choices? Will it somehow affect my personal statement as I am crossing between two subjects?

Chemistry and chemical engineering are actually quite different degrees so you really should be choosing one. Writing a good statement that is suitable for both will be quite difficult.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending