The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by erinls2
Thank you, I was honestly in shock lol :P

haha I'm the complete opposite - I've decided I don't want to apply to any of the BMAT uni's plus I don't actually want to do the BMAT :P I was going to apply to Oxford but I currently go to school in Oxford so I think it'd be good to move away, plus I don't really like the traditional course structure. Where are you going to apply, do you think?

I'm really hoping on getting into Brighton and Sussex, that's like the ultimate dream but it means BMAT, but then I prefer BMAT kinda so yeah... Same about Oxford though, i'm not a fan of traditional, but not a fan of PBL either so trying to find all the integrated ones :smile: What about you where are you thinking of applying?
Hey guys!!

Soz to be another one of those people :tongue:
But I did my UkCat test today and I achieved:
VR: 600
QR: 710
AR: 700 (was disappointed with this as I was consistently scoring above 770)
Average 670 w/ band 2 SJT

I'm trying not to cry or be disheartened but I don't know where to apply now:frown:
Can anybody please help me? I'm really desperate sigh
Original post by Irukandji5
I'm really hoping on getting into Brighton and Sussex, that's like the ultimate dream but it means BMAT, but then I prefer BMAT kinda so yeah... Same about Oxford though, i'm not a fan of traditional, but not a fan of PBL either so trying to find all the integrated ones :smile: What about you where are you thinking of applying?

Yeah exactly the same as me! At the moment I think I'll apply to Bristol (I loved it so much), Birmingham, Nottingham and Sheffield - tbh even I just get 1 offer I'll be ecstatic :P
Original post by future_doctor_
Hey guys!!

I'm trying not to cry or be disheartened but I don't know where to apply now:frown:

I don't know why you feel disheartened. 670 isn't a bad result at all! In fact, I'm pretty sure you'd be able to apply to most uni's with that score :smile:

You should view it as an advantage, not a burden, 670 is great!
Hey guys!!

That's a really good score! Honestly just getting through that exam intact is amazing tbh... In terms of applying maybe not UKCAT heavy ones such as newcastle etc... But universities like Aberdeen, Sheffield I think, Keele... I don't think they look at it as much. Plus there's always BMAT but 670 is still defintely above average :smile:
Hey guys!!

Shame about the AR. Was it the timing or nerves? Don't worry 670 is fine for most universities. Just avoid Edinburgh and King's (unless you've got strong GCSEs).

How comes BSMS is the ultimate dream?
Original post by UniAdmissions
Hi Irukandji5

Hoping I can help a little...

Firstly, get familiar with the on screen calculator and use the calculator with the keyboard for speed, it's really important to practice this.

Make sure you look for hard questions and skip these straight away, there is no point in wasting valuable time. If the question is hard to understand, the data you need is complex or there are many stages to the calculation, then it is a hard question and you are best to move on. If moving on, just guess an answer and flag for review in case you get extra time later. There is no negative marking so always worth having guess.

I hope that is useful.

Good luck for tomorrow!

UniAdmissions

Thank you, it's useful I haven't really used the flagging before but can try it out before tomorrow, thanks :smile:
Original post by Chutiya
I got 633.33 (without applying any strategies)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh okay, how are you faring in your mocks now?
Original post by manlike99
How comes BSMS is the ultimate dream?

I just really like the environment and the course structure. The way they teach anatomy and integrate clinical practice suits me and I live in Brighton and love it here so it's also nice being close to home.
Original post by studentsixth
Shame about the AR. Was it the timing or nerves? Don't worry 670 is fine for most universities. Just avoid Edinburgh and King's (unless you've got strong GCSEs).

honestly I think I just got unlucky on the day tbh:frown:
my timing was right on the dot but medify AR was A LOT EASIER. Honestly for everyone doing AR try and find harder versions or use UKCAT website because medify will put you in a false sense of security
Original post by cookiemonster15
I don't know why you feel disheartened. 670 isn't a bad result at all! In fact, I'm pretty sure you'd be able to apply to most uni's with that score :smile:

You should view it as an advantage, not a burden, 670 is great!

Looool thank you I guess .... its just that I thought i'd do a lot better you know? plus I really wanted to apply to kings since I do all my work experience/volunteering there and have made friends with some of the students:frown:
Original post by wesxd
Hey so I've just finished my UKCAT and got :

VR 630
QR 710
AR 680
SJT BAND 1
Total 2020

Not sure what to make of it not amazing but not bad. Not sure what unis to focus on now? Any help would mean loads :smile:

Was the VR as hard as the 1000Q book? :frown: i reallly struggle
That's a really good score! Honestly just getting through that exam intact is amazing tbh... In terms of applying maybe not UKCAT heavy ones such as newcastle etc... But universities like Aberdeen, Sheffield I think, Keele... I don't think they look at it as much. Plus there's always BMAT but 670 is still defintely above average :smile:

loooool thank you :smile:
do you think I should bother applying to QMUL or not?
Reply 2494
Original post by clairebear101

Personally I've always found VR hard I'm just not a reader. But the thing with the book is that it kinda focuses you on the true false can't tell type of questions when the majority will be the comprehension. So yes I've found it hard but keep on practising!
Original post by SGHD26716
I got 740 as well. The VR was difficult though. I averaged 650, so average...

my VR was also awful (550) dragged my overall average down to 670 which is disappointing
Original post by clairebear101

Mine was actually harder than the 1000Q book!
loooool thank you :smile:
do you think I should bother applying to QMUL or not?

Well, on the website they use UKCAT and tariff in 50/50 weighting and on average last year UKCAT was around 1750 for lowest offer?
"The top and bottom UKCAT scores for School Leavers that received offers for
interview were 3,410 (2380-2680) and 2,350 (1760)." This is what they said and link http://www.smd.qmul.ac.uk/assets/courses/admissions-data-from-the-2016-admissions-cycle.pdf
Website also says UKCAT in third decile or above which is around 2410 or above? which is 602.5 I believe, but yeah go for it I think you've got a shot there UKCAT wise! :smile:
Well, on the website they use UKCAT and tariff in 50/50 weighting and on average last year UKCAT was around 1750 for lowest offer?
"The top and bottom UKCAT scores for School Leavers that received offers for
interview were 3,410 (2380-2680) and 2,350 (1760)." This is what they said and link http://www.smd.qmul.ac.uk/assets/courses/admissions-data-from-the-2016-admissions-cycle.pdf
Website also says UKCAT in third decile or above which is around 2410 or above? which is 602.5 I believe, but yeah go for it I think you've got a shot there UKCAT wise! :smile:

Okay thank you! I'm still not sure :biggrin: but I'll at least consider it now
Which unis put a lot of emphasis on ukcat?
I got an average around 650 which I know is not amazing, I would quite like to go to Newcastle, but how likely am I to get in with that? (you can be honest!)
Thankyou

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending