The Student Room Group

STEP Prep Thread 2016 (Mark. II)

Scroll to see replies

Will results be out at midnight or in the morning?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Glavien
Will results be out at midnight or in the morning?

Posted from TSR Mobile

12 A.M so I guess it's morning, well midnight as well
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Hauss
Probably not as there already files in the low 300,000s on the website.
Don't agree about it being hacking but I agree about it being not advised, may as well just wait at this point.

Can I see your python code? How do you do this.
Reply 2863
Here's mine i'm currently running. Install python from python.org. Open IDLE. Click ctrl-n to open a doc to type in. Enter "pip install requests" in your command prompt (see here: http://docs.python-requests.org/en/master/user/install/) - there are other modules that'll work but I used this one for this code. Enter the code into the new doc you opened, save and run. It should open in the IDLE printing 404 and the number tested until it works. Obviously adjust the bounds as appropriate. The lines after "while" should all be indented.

import requests

x = 246349
s = 404

while x < 300000 and s == 404:
p = "http://www.admissionstestingservice.org/images/" + str(x) + "-step-2016-explanation-of-results.pdf"
r = requests.head(p)
s = r.status_code
x += 1
print(s,x)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jweo
Here's mine i'm currently running. Install python from python.org. Open IDLE. Click ctrl-n to open a doc to type in. Enter "pip install requests" in your command prompt (see here: http://docs.python-requests.org/en/master/user/install/) - there are other modules that'll work but I used this one for this code. Enter the code into the new doc you opened, save and run. It should open in the IDLE printing 404 and the number tested until it works. Obviously adjust the bounds as appropriate. The lines after "while" should all be indented.

import requests

x = 246349
s = 404

while x < 300000 and s == 404:
p = "http://www.admissionstestingservice.org/images/" + str(x) + "-step-2016-explanation-of-results.pdf"
r = requests.head(p)
s = r.status_code
x += 1
print(s,x)

I'm doing this backwards (from 300000 down) right now, but I have a foreboding feeling that they're gonna block my IP address soon....
Reply 2865
Original post by cogito.
I do not recommend buying retail laptops, they are overpriced and most importantly you cannot upgrade the components after 1-2 years when you need it. You can go for barebone machines and DIY the rest, usually the GPU/CPU is fixed for low end models, but I am sure you can change them for some high end machines.

*shrugs* if you buy a decent laptop then you don't need to replace anything till 3/4 years, when you should be getting a new laptop anyway. I built my own PC, I can upgrade that if I need need cutting edge stuff, which I most likely don't.
Original post by Vesniep
12 A.M so I guess it's morning, well midnight as well

Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zacken
*shrugs* if you buy a decent laptop then you don't need to replace anything till 3/4 years, when you should be getting a new laptop anyway. I built my own PC, I can upgrade that if I need need cutting edge stuff, which I most likely don't.

Well I said that based on my experience with 4K gaming with 60Hz and max settings, and I cannot run new games without top graphic card, e.g. GTX 1080 can barely run Battlefield 1 at 4K around 40Hz, which is unsatisfactory.
Reply 2868
Original post by cogito.
Well I said that based on my experience with 4K gaming with 60Hz and max settings, and I cannot run new games without top graphic card, e.g. GTX 1080 can barely run Battlefield 1 at 4K around 40Hz, which is unsatisfactory.

Yeah, but that's niche, most people don't play 4K gaming with 60Hz and max settings...
Predicted (after having sat the exam)
STEP I: 1 (90)
STEP II: 1 (89)
STEP III: 1 (82)
Siklos y no vectors. I literally spent most of my time practising vectors since I didnt do any vectors last year and it didnt even turn up 😂.
Actual
STEP I:
STEP II:
STEP III:

Offer
S,1 in II and III (any order)
University
Cambridge
Course
MATHEMATICS
Comments

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Good luck tonight everyone! It's been a hell of a year.
Reply 2871
good luck everyone :smile: what time are results released for STEP tomorrow?
Original post by leaf3
good luck everyone :smile: what time are results released for STEP tomorrow?

In about 6 hours I believe

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2873
Original post by drandy76

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah! Okay, thank you :smile:
thread is no longer a sticky so

can we please have a minutes silence

end of the 2016 STEPlads era

thank you
Original post by drandy76

Posted from TSR Mobile

Erm no.
5hrs 50 minutes actually.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2876
Original post by physicsmaths
Erm no.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not that anyone is counting down :wink:
Reply 2877
Original post by Number Nine
thread is no longer a sticky so

can we please have a minutes silence

end of the 2016 STEPlads era

thank you

being

silent

rn
Original post by physicsmaths
Erm no.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Look when I posted it, learn 2 count bruv

Posted from TSR Mobile
Imma let y'all finish, but the 2016 STEPlads were the greatest STEPlads of all time

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply