The Student Room Group

Help pls gcse maths

hey, im 18 and didnt do very well in my GCSE's due to bullying and i really want to take them again in my local college to get into A-Levels and then on to uni, but i struggle with maths so much and in order to get into my GCSE's i need a maths grade at D at least but i got a U In my exam and i just didnt get it the teacher was awful he never helped me, and my mum refuses to buy me a tutor my mum left school at 15 and never did her GCSE's so i really have no help at home, so ill have to learn myself does anyone know where to start and what websites? and how i could learn myself? thank you
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Buy a detailed maths book for the GCSE spec you are going to sit. Read through it and complete ALL the exercises,if you have any questions post them here an loads of TSR users will help you out and explain things.Just search online for any other resources :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by TSRPAV
Buy a detailed maths book for the GCSE spec you are going to sit. Read through it and complete ALL the exercises,if you have any questions post them here an loads of TSR users will help you out and explain things.Just search online for any other resources :smile:

Thank youuuuu :smile:
Reply 3
When are you starting it/how long is it before you're taking the exam? it will be hard and require a LOT of practice if your self taught. Do a little (1-2 hours broken down everyday) for the year and start past paper question about 3 months before you exam to get a good grade.And keep posting questions!
there are plenty of websites online i used:
http://www.mathedup.co.uk/classes/10n2/gcse-maths-takeaway/
its amazing it goes through all if not most topics and has a video questions with answers for each one
also maybe you could look at khan academy its a website and includes a youtube channel
hope this helps
its amazing it goes through all if not most topics and has a video aswell as questions with answers for each one
also maybe you could look at khan academy its a website and includes a youtube channel
hope this helps
Reply 6
Original post by TSRPAV
When are you starting it/how long is it before you're taking the exam? it will be hard and require a LOT of practice if your self taught. Do a little (1-2 hours broken down everyday) for the year and start past paper question about 3 months before you exam to get a good grade.And keep posting questions!

next year my exam will be and thank you im willing to put in the effort as i really want to go to uni
Reply 7
Hegartymaths YouTube channel is excellent for self teaching imo
Reply 8
Good good, start when you feel like it but the sooner the better as it will be less stressful for later :smile: whats the thing you struggle most with? might be worth trying to brush up on the basics of the topic your struggling most with first
Reply 9
Original post by TSRPAV
Good good, start when you feel like it but the sooner the better as it will be less stressful for later :smile: whats the thing you struggle most with? might be worth trying to brush up on the basics of the topic your struggling most with first

thank you :smile: and algebra and fractions, i sucked so much
Original post by thatawesomekid
Hegartymaths YouTube channel is excellent for self teaching imo

thank you:smile:
Original post by OHH_MY_DAYZ:b
its amazing it goes through all if not most topics and has a video aswell as questions with answers for each one
hope this helps

thank you :smile:
I would recommend hegarty maths on YouTube and mathsgenie topics page they have topic past papers with answers as well as a video for each maths topic from grade E to A*
I highly recommend you use it-
It really made a difference to my understanding key topics in maths and I actually started enjoy maths a lot
I assume you are doing foundation level, so I would suggest getting a Foundation Maths GCSE textbook with worked examples and exam questions (CPG have excellent quality books) and try using MyMaths (Website) and Maths Watch (this is a CD program) for really good interactive lessons, which gave me extra help when I needed it for my exams. Also I would recommend making a timetable or set mini goals as to what topics you want to learn and what grade levels from E-C every week to try to stay motivated. I hope this helped and I wish you luck 😄
Reply 14
Hey ! I got B from mathemathics extended IGCSE and I always studied to past exam papers. because IGCSE almost didn't change its format so past exam papers were very beneficial for me
I get my results for GCSE Maths next week, I'm a mature student, I need Maths for teaching and I have dyscalculia (number dyslexia) I found MyMaths, Maths Watch and BBC Bitesize invaluable. Good luck x

Quick Reply