The Student Room Group

A level exams have gotten much harder?!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
I remember when I looked at past papers from 2006/ 2007/ 2008 and the questions on them were so simple, almost GCSE style. I would definitely agree A-levels have gotten harder over the years.

Absolutely A levels these days are harder than they have ever been, its a wonder anyone passes at all.
Reply 21
Original post by mass_
I think your being quite specific to your exam board seeing as you've began to delve into the depths of mark schemes, which quite frankly most probably isn't the case for the rest of exam boards. Having done exams for both AQA and WJEC I feel i am quite qualified to say this and several members of my family who are now pharmacists and doctors themselves have agreed and said that the exam style has become more difficult in marriage with timing, the new reforms which all contribute to a much more difficult a level. Before you state your opinion next time make sure there's a bit more coherence please. :smile:

You seem like a whinging, pretentious douche. The man's trying to have a discussion, and you pull out anecdotal evidence from your arse, draw hasty conclusions, and then, have the nerve to add a spiteful remark at the end of it.

Apologise!
Reply 22
Lol I just love the way you wrote that all out! XD

I agree about the transition, it's like going from learning your A B C's to being thrown an Oxford Dictionary and being made to memorise every single page. That is how I see it anyway...

hehe thank you, i get super sassy when people try and instill their opinion on me on the exams i do! and yep i completely agree with you, the transition is unreal and teachers of a generation whee the needed like 4 Us to get into a uni where demands was extremely low anyway try and show our generation hs it easy! lol
Original post by 999tigger
Absolutely A levels these days are harder than they have ever been, its a wonder anyone passes at all.

You're being sarcastic with me, aren't you? :frown:
Reply 24
Original post by G.name
You seem like a whinging, pretentious douche. The man's trying to have a discussion, and you pull out anecdotal evidence from your arse, draw hasty conclusions, and then, have the nerve to add a spiteful remark at the end of it.

Apologise!

Fam, all im doing is just stating my opinion and throwing in some views of my own, in all honestly im not syaing my evidence is like gospel but listen yeah im an actual student and this is WHAT I FEEL and many others do too, and if you cant handle the heat of a alevel discussion on TSR then step out da kitchen, much love hunny xo
You're being sarcastic with me, aren't you? :frown:

Maybe, dont worry though. If you are waiting for your results tomorrow GL. I hought you were a bit older though.
Original post by 999tigger
Maybe, dont worry though. If you are waiting for your results tomorrow GL. I hought you were a bit older though.

That isn't what I meant, but I do see the exams getting tougher over the years. Obviously that is inevitable but there are times when I look at papers and think people in 2004/5/6/7/8 etc must have flown into university with ease.

I am waiting for results tomorrow, and thank you. Did you really? Well I shall take that as a compliment :smile:
Original post by mass_
Listen up fam, i get what your saying and respect your opinion and all that but what you said about the fact that examiners just ask different questions on a particular topi is very true, but the point your missing is now as apposed to like 5 years ago (i stress this next bit) particularly in WJEC the actual maths style has changed, proof is soo much more common and all the topics which students struggled with most are much more prevalent, and in our board many topics in the as level maths which were present say 6 years ago are now part of the gcse course, explain that xo

There has always been significant overlap between AS maths and the A* topics in GCSE. Across all examiners GCSE mathematics has been revised and a few A level topics have been added. Nobody has been tested with these new specifications that have their first exam next summer.
The A level specification has barely changed since 2004, just a bit of cosmetic fiddling. You are shocked that proof and hard topics should be tested in A level maths??? Next you will be telling me you signed the petition complaining to Edexcel about using too many hard fractions in an A level maths paper.
Even if I buy into you suggestion that exams are getting massively harder - and I don't for subjects like maths that have not been reformed - how is this unfair if everyone is facing the same reforms and grades are not falling?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
Original post by mass_
Fam, all im doing is just stating my opinion and throwing in some views of my own, in all honestly im not syaing my evidence is like gospel but listen yeah im an actual student and this is WHAT I FEEL and many others do too, and if you cant handle the heat of a alevel discussion on TSR then step out da kitchen, much love hunny xo

I'm a student too, of the reforms. And I can see you're not taking this very seriously. Quite funny, well done, hunny xo.
Reply 29
Original post by gdunne42
There has always been significant overlap between AS maths and the A* topics in GCSE. Across all examiners GCSE mathematics has been revised and a few A level topics have been added. Nobody has been tested with these new specifications that have their first exam next summer.
The A level specification has barely changed since 2004, just a bit of cosmetic fiddling. You are shocked that proof and hard topics should be tested in A level maths??? Next you will be telling me you signed the petition complaining to Edexcel about using too many hard fractions in an A level maths paper.
Even if I buy into you suggestion that exams are getting massively harder - and I don't for subjects like maths that have not been reformed - how is this unfair if everyone is facing the same reforms and grades are not falling?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ii really dont expect you to even fathom what I am saying becaue you did your exams god knows when and you got wherever you wanted with your alevels, what you dont seem to grasp is for degrees like medicine/dentsitry/pharmacy students literally work so hard and often end up getting ill as a result of it and it is unfair that 5 years ago a student had a greater cahnce of getting into their degree because the alevels were blatently easier (my opinion hunny) and now literlly because the government has noticed these exams were too easy theyve completly made the exams in scince and maths (in my case) extremely difficult and we the younger generation are having to experience the *****iness of itxD THIS REMINDS ME of a similar political debacle not so long ago haha
Reply 30
Original post by G.name
I'm a student too, of the reforms. And I can see you're not taking this very seriously. Quite funny, well done, hunny xo.

I dont see what i have to apologise for when ive just stated my opinion, you are getting worked up because you dont like my opinion, learn to handle the heat hunny, tomorrow might be a lil warm for you baby cakes, much love hunny xo
Original post by mass_
Personally from my experience and what with my sisters experience of doing a levels just last year, these new a level exams are just sooooo much more difficult than the exams say 4/5/6/7//8/9/10 years ago! this is just sooo unfair and is soo evident in maths and science eams where they just throw in the most random and pointless proof questions or how science eorks questions. futhermore the wording for questions these days are terrible and its difficult to even select wht they are asking especially in th elong winded maths questions personally i feel this is very evident in the wjec exams, anyone agree?

Lol, I did WJEC too. However, the boundaries were put to so ridiculously low, that you'd need around 50% for an A in chemistry or biology. So really, the proportion of people achieving each grade should be similar, so I'm not really understanding the problem here.
Reply 32
Original post by mass_
I dont see what i have to apologise for when ive just stated my opinion, you are getting worked up because you dont like my opinion, learn to handle the heat hunny, tomorrow might be a lil warm for you baby cakes, much love hunny xo

And you have a grand time continuing to talk like a prostitute.
Reply 33
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Lol, I did WJEC too. However, the boundaries were put to so ridiculously low, that you'd need around 50% for an A in chemistry or biology. So really, the proportion of people achieving each grade should be similar, so I'm not really understanding the problem here.

its unfair to categorise how alevels are like based on just chemistry, but good luck for tomorrow x
Reply 34
Original post by oni176
Yes, they are harder and the grade boundaries for the new specification proves this. At least we have lower grade boundaries in comparison to the current Year 13's receiving their examination results tomorrow.

I agree with the wording of questions. I have always misinterpreted the questions in Biology, simply because it was not questioned in a simple method and I found them too vague, not knowing their expectations. On the other hand, for OCR Biology, the fact that having an average of 67% for an A and 60% for a B does worry me. This is probably because the students provided weak answers that are considered not acceptable by the examiners.
I believe next year we will have similar boundaries for the A2 examinations as they have been introduced the 'linear' examinations in A-levels recently.

TBH i get the fact that wording these days may be a little bit of an issue during cses because gcse content it pretty godamn easy but at alevel it really angers me that they use confusing and timeconsuming wording and 'scenarios', its stupid because these exam boards know their demographics and know that majority of its students doing science based subjects will be applying for quite academic and prestigious degrees which are often health care related, this is stupid because the wording often costs us marks when out actual scientific knowledge is completlely acceptable :/ its stupid because in the real world and in your career its not very like you'll be tested in such a scrutinising mannerism
It's widely accepted that A levels were at their easiest during the noughties (2000's), and it got so ridiculous that they made it harder in the 2008 change of specification, with it getting increasingly (but only slightly) year on year.

If you compare a 2016 maths or chemistry A level paper with a 2005 paper, you would clearly see that it is currently much harder than back then, when it was just stupidly easy.

Still doesn't compare to the 70s and 80s though, those were really hard.
Reply 36
Original post by G.name
And you have a grand time continuing to talk like a prostitute.

HUNKNEE! NO NEED to go persnal about ur mum here xo
Reply 37
Original post by richpanda
It's widely accepted that A levels were at their easiest during the noughties (2000's), and it got so ridiculous that they made it harder in the 2008 change of specification, with it getting increasingly (but only slightly) year on year.

If you compare a 2016 maths or chemistry A level paper with a 2005 paper, you would clearly see that it is currently much harder than back then, when it was just stupidly easy.

Still doesn't compare to the 70s and 80s though, those were really hard.

thank yiu!
There is an obvious reason for this. Each year of a specification the exam becomes harder as students have had more past papers to learn/practice... ethically this is wrong, but unless we change the specification every year and do away with past papers this will keep being the case
Reply 39
Original post by mass_
TBH i get the fact that wording these days may be a little bit of an issue during cses because gcse content it pretty godamn easy but at alevel it really angers me that they use confusing and timeconsuming wording and 'scenarios', its stupid because these exam boards know their demographics and know that majority of its students doing science based subjects will be applying for quite academic and prestigious degrees which are often health care related, this is stupid because the wording often costs us marks when out actual scientific knowledge is completlely acceptable :/ its stupid because in the real world and in your career its not very like you'll be tested in such a scrutinising mannerism

I agree with your argument.

On the bright side, we are the first year being tested and the grade boundaries have been adjusted for this purpose. I find it normal to struggle in this 'science related scenarios' because it was not tested before and it is a difficult skill to gain. It is frustrating though. It appeared more often in Biology which had a lot of content to cover.

Quick Reply

Latest