The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Airmed
Have a hand on your PS, just in case, but sounds all good!

We don't make the decisions, we guide you through the process. Offers or rejects are decided by the admissions team. :h:

If Track says you're unsuccessful for your firm, then unfortunately you are unsuccessful. You can always see if you can go onto another course at your firm choice uni.

If you are rejected by your firm, you need to directly speak to your insurance and ask them to release you into Clearing. You can still phone unis and see what is in Clearing, but you need to explain your situation to them. Some unis like to only process applications with a person holding no offers at all and are confirmed to be in Clearing by UCAS.

Thanks for the answers!

One more question though, my firm uni does not do clearing. Can I still try go onto another course of lower grades to that same uni?
What do you say when a student calls up with grades that miss your clearing requirements?
E.g you are asking for AAA and they have gotten AAB?
Reply 62
I too, like hascho9, am not keen on my insurance option. If I don't make my firm choice, I understand that I'll have to ring them up and ask to be released into clearing, right?

But my main concern is, how long does it take for me to be 'released' and could the wait significantly hinder my chances of getting on a course through clearing in time? Could I make arrangements with the University I'm interested in through Clearing while waiting to be released to 'reserve' a place?
Original post by Airmed
If you are accepted by your firm, you can phone admissions and ask to switch courses.

Hi Airmed, my current firm choice is in clearing at the grades I already have. So is it possible tomorrow to ask them for a clearing offer instead of a firm offer so I have a clearing number to enquire about other courses?
Thanks
@PQ any thoughts?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 64
Original post by AspiringBanker
Can I ask my firm choice to give me a clearing offer instead?

Original post by Airmed
If you are accepted by your firm, you can phone admissions and ask to switch courses.

I was going to answer this since it happened to me many years back but didn't want to hijack Airmed's thread but she said I could answer this :ninja:

Basically, if you're accepted by your firm (or your insurance if you end up taking that); you can ask them to release you into clearing. Although they're technically under no obligation to do so, most generally are lovely about it and do so :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 65
Original post by hascho9
Thanks for the answers!

One more question though, my firm uni does not do clearing. Can I still try go onto another course of lower grades to that same uni?

If your firm is not in Clearing and if Track says unsuccessful, there is slim hope, unfortunately.

Original post by Economistician
What do you say when a student calls up with grades that miss your clearing requirements?
E.g you are asking for AAA and they have gotten AAB?

I would still encourage them to apply. All applications are dealt with on a personal basis.
Reply 66
Original post by DWTDevil
I too, like hascho9, am not keen on my insurance option. If I don't make my firm choice, I understand that I'll have to ring them up and ask to be released into clearing, right?

But my main concern is, how long does it take for me to be 'released' and could the wait significantly hinder my chances of getting on a course through clearing in time? Could I make arrangements with the University I'm interested in through Clearing while waiting to be released to 'reserve' a place?

Yes. But you can still phone other unis and enquire about Clearing. It depends on the uni on how long it will take for you to be released. Some unis do require people to be in Clearing, notified by UCAS, before they can process applications. Some (like mine) don't.

Original post by AspiringBanker
Hi Airmed, my current firm choice is in clearing at the grades I already have. So is it possible tomorrow to ask them for a clearing offer instead of a firm offer so I have a clearing number to enquire about other courses?
Thanks

No. If you get the grades, your offer will change to unconditional.

Thanks, was helpfull. Saved those links for tommorow.
Original post by Airmed
If your firm is not in Clearing and if Track says unsuccessful, there is slim hope, unfortunately.

I would still encourage them to apply. All applications are dealt with on a personal basis.

Oh, i thought each conversation ends with either, 'we will accept your application if you send one', or 'sorry, we can not accept your application, so don't send one'. Otherwise they will send it and then miss the opportunity to send applications to other unis whilst they wait for the decision of your uni...
Reply 69
Original post by Airmed
We don't make the decisions, we guide you through the process. Offers or rejects are decided by the admissions team. :h:

Hmmn.. so you do refer them to admissions? :ahhhhh:
Don't you give offers immediately after finding out the applicant's grades and other necessary details at that very moment?
Oh, i thought each conversation ends with either, 'we will accept your application if you send one', or 'sorry, we can not accept your application, so don't send one'. Otherwise they will send it and then miss the opportunity to send applications to other unis whilst they wait for the decision of your uni...

You're misunderstanding what the people on the phone are doing - they collect your details on a local database and pass your application on to someone else to consider (informally - outside of Track). If you meet the criteria you'll get an emailed offer inviting you to add that choice on Track, if not you'll get an email saying "sorry but no".

None of this takes place on Track.
Reply 71

We encourage all to apply, and you can still enquiry at other unis.
I know this is a stupid question :colondollar: but my college is going to give out results from 9 o'clock onwards, so do I have to wait until I receive my results to phone up?
Original post by Airmed
At my university, we haven't. We certainly didn't last week during the Scottish Higher results day. I have checked the courses and they seem to be same offers from during the main UCAS cycle.

However, this is not the same for all universities, and it is always best to phone up and check, rather than relying solely on their website. :h:

Thanks for that :smile:
Question to OP: How long would you guess it takes on average for admissions to accept/reject clearing applications?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by lnux
Don't you give offers immediately after finding out the applicant's grades and other necessary details at that very moment?

Changes in rules from the Competitions and Marketing Authority last year mean that universities tend not to make offers over the phone any more (as it isn't possible to provide all the legally required information verbally and be sure that the applicant has received and understood it.

(sorry @Airmed - don't mean to gatecrash so much :o: )
Reply 76
Original post by lnux

You would fill out a form, and then admissions officers would look at it. Then I would be told whether or not to email you back asking for more info, or with an offer or rejection. :smile:
Reply 77
This is what i thought as well.

Question to OP: How long would you guess it takes on average to accept/reject clearing applications?

We were doing it at around 48 hours but now it will be faster. I honestly wouldn't expect more than a day. Unis recognise it is a stressful time!

Original post by phdparker
I know this is a stupid question :colondollar: but my college is going to give out results from 9 o'clock onwards, so do I have to wait until I receive my results to phone up?

You can still enquire, based on what your Track says, but having grades on hand is very handy.

Original post by PQ
Changes in rules from the Competitions and Marketing Authority last year mean that universities tend not to make offers over the phone any more (as it isn't possible to provide all the legally required information verbally and be sure that the applicant has received and understood it.

(sorry @Airmed - don't mean to gatecrash so much :o: )

Gatecrash all you want, you're an expert!
I'm looking to do computer science and I believe I'm going to miss out on my conditional offer by 1 grade! Would you be able to tell me how likely or unlikely am I to get accepted into this course
Hi Airmed, apologies I didnt explain properly. My current firm choice is in clearing at the grades I already have. So is it possible tomorrow to ask them for a clearing offer instead of an unconditional firm offer so I have a clearing number to enquire about other courses?
Thanks
PQ any thoughts?

Latest

Trending

Trending