The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Kenny going to get a lot of the hype but let's be honest, he's the arm candy in that relationship with Trott.

Kenny
Olympic gold: 6
World gold: 3
European gold: 1
Commonwealth gold: 0
Total: 10

Trott
Olympic gold: 4
World gold: 7
European gold: 10
Commonwealth gold: 1
Total: 22
Xbox One S + Fifa 17 = £225

Good deal or nah?

plus does it cost to play online on xbox?
Original post by Zerforax
Kenny going to get a lot of the hype but let's be honest, he's the arm candy in that relationship with Trott.

Kenny
Olympic gold: 6
World gold: 3
European gold: 1
Commonwealth gold: 0
Total: 10

Trott
Olympic gold: 4
World gold: 7
European gold: 10
Commonwealth gold: 1
Total: 22

The thing is though, it's all about Olympic medals.

I couldn't tell you who won the European Championships in any events since London 2012 - the Olympics is always what matters, especially for cycling.

That's why GB are so much better during those times; we obviously don't dope but we tailor our technological advancements and training to come well in line with the Olympics.

It's kinda similar to how an F1 team might be developing technology not for next season, but the season after - you saw it with Mercedes. When Hamilton went to them, they could only finish 8th or so, but he kept saying that the team were planning to be the best in a few years, and look what happened?
Original post by swirly

Good deal or nah?

No because Xbox you fool

If you're gonna get FIFA, get it on PS4 so you can clubs with the lads xxxx
Original post by swirly

Good deal or nah?

Yes and yes
Original post by Lúcio
The thing is though, it's all about Olympic medals.

I couldn't tell you who won the European Championships in any events since London 2012 - the Olympics is always what matters, especially for cycling.

That's why GB are so much better during those times; we obviously don't dope but we tailor our technological advancements and training to come well in line with the Olympics.

It's kinda similar to how an F1 team might be developing technology not for next season, but the season after - you saw it with Mercedes. When Hamilton went to them, they could only finish 8th or so, but he kept saying that the team were planning to be the best in a few years, and look what happened?

Please - that's just the lazy armchair fan view. If someone told you that all the football in between world cups didn't matter, you'd laugh at them. The same applies here. Just because you don't take an active interest, doesn't mean the rest of the sport/career doesn't matter.
Please - that's just the lazy armchair fan view. If someone told you that all the football in between world cups didn't matter, you'd laugh at them. The same applies here. Just because you don't take an active interest, doesn't mean the rest of the sport/career doesn't matter.

Football is a little different though because it's the biggest sport in the world.

In the Olympics, everybody cares about random sports that they'd never watch normally so the majority of the world will be "lazy armchair fans". The Olympics compared to European Championships is like the difference between winning the World Cup and the League Cup.

Athletes will always be judged primarily on their Olympic performance and that's just how it is.
Trott may have more medals in total but Kenny (so far) is our most successful Olympian ever so of course he's gonna be held in higher esteem...for now.

:rofl:
Reply 8028
Original post by swirly

:rofl:

Popo gonna be on his arse quicktime.
Reply 8029
x

Original post by Lúcio
Not as much as before but I still go on it.
Hatched an Aerodactyl this morning :biggrin:

What do you need to know on gym battles?

Original post by Kenan and Kel
Hadn't in a while but went down to Piccadilly Gardens yesterday to use my last lucky egg. Atmosphere was **** so I left after 15mins. You?

Basically, I want to know whether the special attack of this is essentially 130, that I can use as 65 and 65? Or whether both bars = 65??

image.jpg

Also wanted to show off my Gyarados
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SA-1
Basically, I want to know whether the special attack of this is essentially 130, that I can use as 65 and 65? Or whether both bars = 65??

image.jpg

Also wanted to show off my Gyarados

The 65 is how much damage is dealt per bar, and the amount of bars is how many you can store at once.

Strong 6 attack tho

Did you get a Gyarados from 400 candies or from finding one in the wild?

My rarest is only a Snorlax :frown:
Please - that's just the lazy armchair fan view.
Its also the view espoused by the head coach of team GB only yesterday.

"Dyer said the British squad was all focused around the Olympics. “While we peak athletically for the Olympics, we also peak in our research and innovation for the Olympics "

Callum Skinner “For us it’s all about the Olympics. All the competitions are all processed in order to get to the Olympics in the best shape possible because ultimately to us that’s what matters most.”
Original post by Lúcio
Football is a little different though because it's the biggest sport in the world.

In the Olympics, everybody cares about random sports that they'd never watch normally so the majority of the world will be "lazy armchair fans". The Olympics compared to European Championships is like the difference between winning the World Cup and the League Cup.

Athletes will always be judged primarily on their Olympic performance and that's just how it is.
Trott may have more medals in total but Kenny (so far) is our most successful Olympian ever so of course he's gonna be held in higher esteem...for now.

Football is different to you because you care about it. Keen cyclists fans will be able to list all the winners of recent competitions and likewise casual football fans will know who won the last world cup but won't be able to tell you much else.

Psff - half of Kenny's gold medals were won in team events. What's so great about his first gold medal when you've got someone like Sir Chris Hoy dragging him up there.

Original post by Fizzel

"Dyer said the British squad was all focused around the Olympics. “While we peak athletically for the Olympics, we also peak in our research and innovation for the Olympics "

Callum Skinner “For us it’s all about the Olympics. All the competitions are all processed in order to get to the Olympics in the best shape possible because ultimately to us that’s what matters most.”

Well I'm probably being pedantic but Luke making it sound like the Olympics only matter whereas Dyer is saying that the Olympics are the priority. There's a difference imo.

In any event, my point still remains that Trott > Kenny because she's a bigger winner. Could go down as one of the greatest cyclists ever.

Well I'm probably being pedantic but Luke making it sound like the Olympics only matter whereas Dyer is saying that the Olympics are the priority. There's a difference imo.

In any event, my point still remains that Trott > Kenny because she's a bigger winner. Could go down as one of the greatest cyclists ever.

Kenny > Trott because he's faster

I agree, but its clear from what they are saying you cannot just count medal against medal, its like an FA cup and a CL there are different gradings of difficulty with the Olympics being the highest. European and Commonwealths are minority competitions too, its not a world stage. I'm not a cyclist or proper cycling fan so I can't really gauge the trade off but like anything else if they use certain events as build up then a lesser performance in an earlier stage will be vindicated if it results in a medal on the highest stage. Regardless, you can't take an arbitrary number of competitions and count medals. Take Wiggins for example, how much is a Tour worth in these rankings, equal to a commonwealth golf but a worlds silver?

Trott could well go down as greater, she's an Olympics behind Kenny age wise so her medal counts is likely far from final, but as it stand Kenny has greater achievements at the highest level, however the team element is a worthwhile point.
Original post by Fizzel

You got my back bro x
Football is different to you because you care about it. Keen cyclists fans will be able to list all the winners of recent competitions and likewise casual football fans will know who won the last world cup but won't be able to tell you much else.

Psff - half of Kenny's gold medals were won in team events. What's so great about his first gold medal when you've got someone like Sir Chris Hoy dragging him up there.

Oh I completely agree; it's all down to the perspective of the person looking in - I'm only saying football is a little different because it's a significantly bigger sport with way more fans.

Either way, as Fizzel has so kindly pointed out, my points stand about technology and training building up to the Olympics.
This is the main event and it only occurs once every 4 years. Cycling fans may remember the world/European champions but the rest of the word will only remember the Olympic Champions - that's just how it is.

It may not be right and you're effectively running the same races, but Olympic golds are significantly more important than anything else and ultimately, that's what people will be judged on the most.

Based on that, I can't blame people for holding Kenny in higher esteem, although don't make that lead you to believe I don't think Trott is absolutely exceptional.
Saying Trott is far better because she has 10 commenwealth medals and Kenny has none is like saying Hilario is a better goalkeeper than Messi because he has more FA Cup medals.
Original post by fallen_acorns
cant watch much of the olympics out here in china, but trying to make the most of it..

When you consider our size/wealth, we are batting well our of our league at the moment, and it cant last forever.. expect in a few olympics us to be back to par, around the level of france/spain/germany etc.

But for now.. 50 medals.. ahead of china.. bragging rights over the wife.. (and everyone else around me) = brilliant

What? I agree that we're punching well above our weight in size but wealth? Britain has spent a lot in order to be more and more competitive in the olympics. Its the reason why we've been more successful in recent competitions.
Reply 8039
Question for gymmers.

Doing weekdays at the gym, approximately 1hr in the gym. Main aim is hypertrophy and after the hypertrophy will go to a more cardio heavy workout to cut, once I've cut and have the right amount of body fat then I will focus on power(repeat cycle whenever needed).

I'm planning on swimming once a week for a recovery workout. I'm wondering whether I should make it on day 4(so that I have the weekend to rest) or day 5(so I have a 3 day rest routine)?

I'm inclined to do it on day 4 as 4 days straight gym and 3 days rest doesn't seem very healthy, feels like I will overtrain but if I do recovery swim on day 4, I have one day of rest, then I go to the gym on day 5 and then have a weekends rest.
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest