The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hi, I'm thinking of applying to either Oxford or Cambridge for History (currently undecided between the two). I was wondering that given the new reformed AS levels, will you look specifically at the percentages achieved in each unit, considering that there is no UMS available for linear reformed AS levels.

Thank you very much for your help!
Original post by Mimi230299
Hi, I'm thinking of applying to either Oxford or Cambridge for History (currently undecided between the two). I was wondering that given the new reformed AS levels, will you look specifically at the percentages achieved in each unit, considering that there is no UMS available for linear reformed AS levels.

Thank you very much for your help!

Hello there an thanks for your question. If you have any questions about the course to help you choose between Oxford and Cambridge, I'd be happy to help. We haven't yet decided whether to look at raw marks for the new AS Levels. it's going to be discussed at a meeting of the Admissions Forum (all the admissions tutors in Cambridge) this afternoon and we should have a definite answer by the end of the month.
Original post by Christ's Admissions
Hello there an thanks for your question. If you have any questions about the course to help you choose between Oxford and Cambridge, I'd be happy to help. We haven't yet decided whether to look at raw marks for the new AS Levels. it's going to be discussed at a meeting of the Admissions Forum (all the admissions tutors in Cambridge) this afternoon and we should have a definite answer by the end of the month.

Hi
If I am in the summerpool will I find out tommorrow?
Also, how will I be contacted.
Original post by physicsmaths
Hi

You should find out tomorrow yes. I'm not sure how all colleges handle this but we are writing to everyone to inform them of their current situation. Letters went out today. Overseas people will be emailed tomorrow morning. I expect his is what will happen from most colleges.
I'm curious how "the other side of the process" feels about results day... Are you excited? or not much because you already know the outcomes?
Hi

You should find out tomorrow yes. I'm not sure how all colleges handle this but we are writing to everyone to inform them of their current situation. Letters went out today. Overseas people will be emailed tomorrow morning. I expect his is what will happen from most colleges.
@physicsmaths

You should find out tomorrow, yes. I'm not sure how all colleges will handle it but at Christ's we are writing to everyone to inform them of their current situation. Letters went out today. Overseas candidates will be emailed tomorrow morning. I expect that something like this will happen at other colleges.

Thank you :smile: Do direct rejection letters also go out today? (For christs) i assume my college is 'similar'.
Because I did get a rejection letter in the post from fitzwilliam last year but I wasn't in the country so can't recall what date I was informed.
Also what the hell is going on with TSR. Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0balt
I'm curious how "the other side of the process" feels about results day... Are you excited? or not much because you already know the outcomes?

Hmm, good question. This week is very interesting and I look forward to it because it's so interesting. It's hard, though. Hard because one has to make a lot of difficult decisions and hard because you know you are going to be disappointing some people who've had an offer to come to Cambridge for 7 months and it's now taken away from them. That's not a nice feeling, though I appreciate it's much worse from the other side!

One gets some very nice calls from people who are delighted to have made their offers and a number of difficult calls from candidates or their schools who have missed.

The Summer Pool (Friday) is more 'exciting' than results day, as then one has the opportunity to rescue people's Cambridge future and to see and hope that somebody else rescues your own near misses.

I hope that gives a good explanation from our side.

To cheer people up/relieve tension, here's a picture of Rocket from today hiding someone's statement of results!
Thank you :smile: Do direct rejection letters also go out today? (For christs) i assume my college is 'similar'.
Because I did get a rejection letter in the post from fitzwilliam last year but I wasn't in the country so can't recall what date I was informed.
Also what the hell is going on with TSR. Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, direct rejection letters will go out today. I signed mine this morning :frown: And I've no idea what's happening with TSR but it is rather annoying!
Yes, direct rejection letters will go out today. I signed mine this morning :frown: And I've no idea what's happening with TSR but it is rather annoying!

Atleast you signed yours!
Mine were just printed last year :/.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Out of interest, what is the average number of A*s and average score for IB for an arts student?

And what is the average number of A*s and average score for IB for a science student?

Hope all runs smoothly during these busy few days.
Hmm, good question. This week is very interesting and I look forward to it because it's so interesting. It's hard, though. Hard because one has to make a lot of difficult decisions and hard because you know you are going to be disappointing some people who've had an offer to come to Cambridge for 7 months and it's now taken away from them. That's not a nice feeling, though I appreciate it's much worse from the other side!

One gets some very nice calls from people who are delighted to have made their offers and a number of difficult calls from candidates or their schools who have missed.

The Summer Pool (Friday) is more 'exciting' than results day, as then one has the opportunity to rescue people's Cambridge future and to see and hope that somebody else rescues your own near misses.

I hope that gives a good explanation from our side.

To cheer people up/relieve tension, here's a picture of Rocket from today hiding someone's statement of results!

Thanks for the response. I couldn't help but try to read into the tone of your reply to me but obviously it wasn't going to work :ahee:
Summer pool does sound exciting if it is hot especially, swimming in hot weather is good but still can't win to an air conditioned room with an acceptance letter... Sorry my nerves are making me make even less sense than usual :lol:

Rocket looks like a brilliant assistant!
Original post by C0balt
Thanks for the response. I couldn't help but try to read into the tone of your reply to me but obviously it wasn't going to work :ahee:
Summer pool does sound exciting if it is hot especially, swimming in hot weather is good but still can't win to an air conditioned room with an acceptance letter... Sorry my nerves are making me make even less sense than usual :lol:

Rocket looks like a brilliant assistant!

This is why Christ's has its very own beautiful outdoor swimming pool (and very much unheated).

Rocket doesn't look impressed by that particular candidate...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
This is why Christ's has its very own beautiful outdoor swimming pool (and very much unheated).

Rocket doesn't look impressed by that particular candidate...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hope it wasn't mine and if it was I hope he's eaten it
Hello,

I'm hoping to study law at university and possibly even Cambridge when I finish my a levels and would really appreciate some advice as to whether my a levels would be seen as good preparation for the subject, as I am aware there aren't any specified. I'm going to be taking history, government and politics, philosphy and ethics and sociology. Would these be sufficient/attractive? Also, would 'dropping' one subject after AS put me at a disadvantage for law? Is there a subject you would suggest dropping rather than any of my other choices?
Do Christs have certain preferences in law applicants?

I really have a passion for law and am very much looking forward to having the opportunity to study it. Any tips/advice for preparation would be so helpful, thank you!
Hello! I wish to study medicine for 2017 entry, and am still unsure about whether to apply to Cambridge or not even though I really want to. I know previously emphasis was put on specific modular UMS in AS levels but with new AS, and as was previously mentioned, they may or may not be looked at.

If AS level raw marks are not to be looked at, would this mean more emphasis is put on other aspects of the application? And is there any knowledge yet if this is the case on which parts? Trying to apply to my strengths :smile:

Also, I got 10A* and 3A's at GCSE, and was told not to apply to Oxford because of the percentage of A* measure. Is there anything like this at Cambridge? Would I have a chance applying with those GCSE grades?

Thanks!!
Reply 316
We do offer affiliate places for Law though it's been a while since we had one.

Is that due to high competition/strict selectiveness or because of a lack of applications? Would you recommend applying for the affiliated BA at Christ's or is it better to apply to a graduate college for this course?*
Original post by francais123
Out of interest, what is the average number of A*s and average score for IB for an arts student?

And what is the average number of A*s and average score for IB for a science student?

Hope all runs smoothly during these busy few days.

The average number of A*s at A Level for a successful entrant is around 2.7. It is over 3 for Scientists and over 2 for Humanities students.

It obviously varies somewhat from year to year on a college basis but last year (2015) at Christ's it was 3.68 A*s for Science students and for Humanities it was 2.38. In 2014 it was 3.31 for Scientists and for Humanities it was 2.33.

I'm not sure what the average points total for IB is but the vast majority of offers are at 41 or 42 points. I would guess that the average entrants ha somewhere between 42 and 43 points. At Christ's we only taken a couple of students with fewer than 42 points since I started three years ago.
Original post by katie4610
Hello,

I'm hoping to study law at university and possibly even Cambridge when I finish my a levels and would really appreciate some advice as to whether my a levels would be seen as good preparation for the subject, as I am aware there aren't any specified. I'm going to be taking history, government and politics, philosphy and ethics and sociology. Would these be sufficient/attractive? Also, would 'dropping' one subject after AS put me at a disadvantage for law? Is there a subject you would suggest dropping rather than any of my other choices?
Do Christs have certain preferences in law applicants?

I really have a passion for law and am very much looking forward to having the opportunity to study it. Any tips/advice for preparation would be so helpful, thank you!

Hello an thanks for your questions. Law is very much an open access subject and students present with all sorts of different A Level combinations. Those you suggest are all good ones and will work well in Law. We have no preferences for particular combinations at Christ's. We want to see evidence of a legal train f thought and we want to know that you can write.

It's fine to drop a subject after AS, before the changes to A Level about half of all successful applicants for non-Science subjects had 3 A Levels and the other half had 4. I wouldn't recommend dropping History as it is what we call a keystone subject for Humanities (one of a few subjects which are most common in the profiles of successful applicants to Russell Group universities for Humanities subjects.

Read the Law pages of the quality newspapers, rea and think about political ad news issues from a legal perspective. Maybe download some lectures on law from iTunesU. Finally, Law calls for clear, logical thinking so practice your logical reasoning. Best of luck.
Original post by isabella1999
Hello! I wish to study medicine for 2017 entry, and am still unsure about whether to apply to Cambridge or not even though I really want to. I know previously emphasis was put on specific modular UMS in AS levels but with new AS, and as was previously mentioned, they may or may not be looked at.

If AS level raw marks are not to be looked at, would this mean more emphasis is put on other aspects of the application? And is there any knowledge yet if this is the case on which parts? Trying to apply to my strengths :smile:

Also, I got 10A* and 3A's at GCSE, and was told not to apply to Oxford because of the percentage of A* measure. Is there anything like this at Cambridge? Would I have a chance applying with those GCSE grades?

Thanks!!

Hello an thanks for your questions. We won't be asking for Raw Marks from reformed A an AS Levels for 2017 entry. Schools will be at liberty to discuss them in their references but we won't be collecting them in the SAQ for application purposes. We will look at all parts of the application, for different people different aspects will turn out to be more or less important. We aren't going to be rigid or mechanistic about it.

Oxfordd for Medicine do place a lot of emphasis on the percentage of A*s at GCSE when deciding on interviews. 10A*s and 3 As is a very strong performance, not being at Oxford I can't comment on how that compares with other Oxford applicants but it would certainly be regarded as strong at Cambridge - not at the absolute top on that aspect perhaps but certainly not unlike the profile of many successful applicants.

I hope that helps. Good luck!

Latest