The Student Room Group

Countdown to access course, excited!!

Hey all,

Starting an access to science in September and really can't wait. Place and loan all sorted.

Anybody else starting an access to science? Anyone that'll be going to Leeds City College?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
That's great news :smile:

My college is only getting setup for interviews to enrol now, how did you find the loan application process? I believe you need a letter / form from the college before you can apply? My college start date is late September, so I bet they will be swamped :frown:

All the best with the course!
Original post by Al.F
That's great news :smile:

My college is only getting setup for interviews to enrol now, how did you find the loan application process? I believe you need a letter / form from the college before you can apply? My college start date is late September, so I bet they will be swamped :frown:

All the best with the course!

All the best to you too :smile:

The loan application is straight forward, just google advanced learner loan and follow the links to apply online, get registered and once you have your college letter you can send it off. The loan should get approved in less than a week (at least mind did) but could take up to 6 weeks.

Are you studying access to science?
Reply 3
Original post by ApplyYourself
All the best to you too :smile:

The loan application is straight forward, just google advanced learner loan and follow the links to apply online, get registered and once you have your college letter you can send it off. The loan should get approved in less than a week (at least mind did) but could take up to 6 weeks.

Are you studying access to science?

A2HE: Social Sciences. I was on the fence about the Sciences access, but after mailing some uni admissions I was ok to stick to social science route (For psych BSc).

Thanks for the loan advice, I'll get the in the works asap :smile:

What course are you thinking of taking up at uni?
Original post by Al.F
A2HE: Social Sciences. I was on the fence about the Sciences access, but after mailing some uni admissions I was ok to stick to social science route (For psych BSc).

Thanks for the loan advice, I'll get the in the works asap :smile:

What course are you thinking of taking up at uni?

That sounds great, it's good that you know what you want to do after the access course.

I want to study clinical sciences at Bradford or do foundation interdisciplinary science at Leeds, both with a view to doing medicine after completing the year.

I know a psycology graduate and she said she loved the course.

When your course starts see if you have the time to start a sort of access course diary on tsr, I will too, it'll be a good way of keeping each other (and others) motivated :smile:
Reply 5
That sounds great, it's good that you know what you want to do after the access course.

I want to study clinical sciences at Bradford or do foundation interdisciplinary science at Leeds, both with a view to doing medicine after completing the year.

I know a psycology graduate and she said she loved the course.

When your course starts see if you have the time to start a sort of access course diary on tsr, I will too, it'll be a good way of keeping each other (and others) motivated :smile:

Oh, I intend to! I've siphoned off a lot of great help and info regarding A2HE courses/content and mature student help from TSR, I'll definitely be giving back :smile:

As for this time next year there will be people frantically googling for advice, so anything that can help them! :smile:

That's a great field path and goal, I wish you the best with it.

May I ask your age? I am 27 and left school at 17, so I've been dusting the ol' cobwebs away awaiting sept :wink:
Original post by Al.F
Oh, I intend to! I've siphoned off a lot of great help and info regarding A2HE courses/content and mature student help from TSR, I'll definitely be giving back :smile:

As for this time next year there will be people frantically googling for advice, so anything that can help them! :smile:

That's a great field path and goal, I wish you the best with it.

May I ask your age? I am 27 and left school at 17, so I've been dusting the ol' cobwebs away awaiting sept :wink:

Same here I've picked up so much off tsr :smile: and thanks it's a hard road ahead but it'll be worth all the effort (if I can pull it off)

I'm 30, proud father of 2 :smile: yeah me too, I can't believe I'm studying already and college hasn't even started yet ha
Reply 7
Same here I've picked up so much off tsr :smile: and thanks it's a hard road ahead but it'll be worth all the effort (if I can pull it off)

I'm 30, proud father of 2 :smile: yeah me too, I can't believe I'm studying already and college hasn't even started yet ha

That's a great mind set, I'm currently doing the same in the hope that it will take the edge off the beginning of the course :biggrin:

It's a great you are going back into HE with two little'uns in tow, much respect :smile:
Original post by Al.F
That's a great mind set, I'm currently doing the same in the hope that it will take the edge off the beginning of the course :biggrin:

It's a great you are going back into HE with two little'uns in tow, much respect :smile:

I'm sure it will, if we cover as much of gcse/AS/head start to AS before college starts we'll be able to hit the ground running.

And thanks I appreciate that :biggrin:
Reply 9
Hello!

I'll also be doing Access to Science at LCC! I'm a mixture of excitement and nerves, i know I'll be fine as soon but until then i'm going to fret that I'll walk in and suddenly have forgotten how to read.
I see you're hoping to do Clinical Sciences so I'm guessing we'll have chosen different subjects (I'm doing Physics and Maths) but good luck! Maybe I'll see you about :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Hey, I'm 27 and starting my access to science on wednesday.
What's your timetable like? Mine's part time, and I'm stuck with doing psychology as part of it as well.
Original post by jamiejay
Hey, I'm 27 and starting my access to science on wednesday.
What's your timetable like? Mine's part time, and I'm stuck with doing psychology as part of it as well.

Hi good to hear from another mature student :smile:

The course I'm doing will be 3 full days with a half day every other week. Will yours be evening part time? And I'm lucky in that respect I'm not having to study anything I don't want to apart from the mandatory unity like study skills etc.

What are you wanting to study at uni?
Reply 12
Hey Guys :smile:

I thought I'd day hello as a fellow mature student Starting access to Science on Monday (eeee what have we done!?)
Nervous and excited. Looking forward to hearing everyone elses experiences with it.

Goodluck to all of us and hopefully we can help each other through this! We can do this
Reply 13
Hows everyone getting on with their Access Courses?
Good luck everyone. I am just about the start the next stage and start uni next week after completing an access course this year. Hope you all enjoy it. I gained so much from it and not just knowledge for my future career but confidence to help me believe that I may be getting back on the career path I fell off when I was 19 (I'm now 31 and married with 2 kiddies) but I can definitely do this. As can all of you. So good luck all :-) xx
Hi everyone Im new here.
I just started my Access course (Psychology, Sociology, Law) and I'm already worried.
Early days yet but does anyone know of some good revision tools? (i know its not exam based but any good websites to help understand the subjects more) I'm the youngest in my class and Everyone seems to know what they're doing :| any advice appreciated. Thank you
Reply 16
My first "proper" day tomorrow :-)
Access to health science professions with hopes of doing radiography
I'm 30 with two kids
Original post by Tigger20
Hows everyone getting on with their Access Courses?

I started mine on Monday and am in 3 days a week! It's all very interesting but the way they're describing the assignments is making me very nervous but fingers crossed it'll go okay! I hope everyone else is enjoying themselves as well! 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mine is set at 2 days a week 9:15 until 4 with 45 min lunch.

Bio, Physics, then tuesday is SS and Chem. I'm not working at all during the course and have barely any commitments so i have the edge over some of the older ones with families and full time jobs. We will be working on assignments in lessons and shown past assignments to template from, so im using today to work on my personal statement (im in monday and tues).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending