The Student Room Group

Muslims "in the crosshairs of bigotry"

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by MMM1997
I disagree with you . Islam does not preach hate of women because in islamic ideology a women is guaranteed heaven just for being a mother. And Muhammad is said to have said that the person you should love most after God and Muhammad is your mother, your mother, your mother and then you love your father. Three times more than the father.
Yes, it says to respect your mother.
But it also says that a husband may beat a disobedient wife under certain conditions.
And there is the Quran's statements on inheritance and legal testimony inequality.
And it describes a wife as "like a field for you to plough as and when you like".
And there's all the stuff about how contact with women at certain times causes all sorts of problems with acceptability of prayer and the suchlike.

It is utterly pointless, not to say dishonest, to claim that women have some kind of elevated social position in Islam, as it is clearly not the case, either theologically or practically.

And no one claims that Islam preaches "hatred" of women. Just that it is clearly misogynistic and discriminatory.

Tell me, can a woman pray at the front of the mosque if she wants?
Reply 181
Original post by irfan98
Okay. What about Christianity?

Christians don't occupy the West Bank (in fact some Palestinians are Christians and share the pain of the occupation with their fellow Muslims) and the war in Iraq wasn't made in the name of Jesus -- it was about WMD and planting the seed of democracy.
Reply 182
Original post by Chakede
why would someone love mohammed before their mother and father- thats just nonesense
Muslims do not idolise Muhammad! FACT!!
Original post by QE2
What Mr Levestress seems to misunderstand is the logical disconnect between the two positions:
1. Muslims believe that the Quran is perfect, immutable and universal, and
2. Muslims do not agree with some of the contents of the Quran.

If those Muslims who do not believe that the ultimate aim of Allah is the universal adoption of Islam (by choice or by force) clearly stated that they consider the Quran to be flawed and requiring some revision, it would be a major step on the road towards the reformation and enlightenment of Islam. It is not an easy road (as Christianity can attest to) but it is nontheless a road that must be travelled, for the good of all.

Answer me, do we live in a world with 1.6 billion poor Muslims? Because I don't think even 0.1% of that figure actively go around killing non-believers
Original post by QE2
But it also says that a husband may beat a disobedient wife under certain conditions.
And there is the Quran's statements on inheritance and legal testimony inequality.
And it describes a wife as "like a field for you to plough as and when you like".
And there's all the stuff about how contact with women at certain times causes all sorts of problems with acceptability of prayer and the suchlike.

It is utterly pointless, not to say dishonest, to claim that women have some kind of elevated social position in Islam, as it is clearly not the case, either theologically or practically.

And no one claims that Islam preaches "hatred" of women. Just that it is clearly misogynistic and discriminatory.

Considerably if you compare them to the social position of women in 7th century.
Getting some inheritance, allowing them to own assets and limiting the number of wifes to 4 and institutionalising alimony is far better than having none of these things.
Reply 185
Original post by QE2

Well said. I'm surprised that nobody said that Islam invented human rights or music.
Reply 186
Original post by savonarola
Considerably if you compare them to the social position of women in 7th century.

Getting some inheritance, allowing them to own assets and limiting the number of wifes to 4 and institutionalising alimony is far better than having none of these things.

Perhaps it was a progress in the 7th century, but now, in the 21st century, Islam is completely outdated and useless regarding women's rights.
Reply 187
Original post by alevelstresss
Because I don't think even 0.1% of that figure actively go around killing non-believers

Only a slight minority would go and kill disbelievers, but many more would agree with them.
Original post by Josb
Only a slight minority would go and kill disbelievers, but many more would agree with them.

if you want an Orwellian-style government where people are not entitled to their own opinions, I hear North Korea is rather close to the novel
Reply 189
if you want an Orwellian-style government where people are not entitled to their own opinions, I hear North Korea is rather close to the novel

Wow. You have a gift for putting words in other people's mouth and for deflecting any answer to your weak arguments. I give you that.

People are entitled to their opinions, but I don't have to agree with them.
Reply 190
You're making the assumption that I am basing this on a few individuals.
The number of individual Muslims who you quizzed about their attitudes and beliefs is irrelevant. You are using limited personal experience to generalise about a wider population - the very thing that you are attacking others for doing.

You're also being an idiot for choosing the worst Muslim region and thinking thats going to give an accurate view of the whole of Islam, which you seem very eager to generalise as brutes.
You're also being an idiot for choosing any particular Muslim community and claiming that it represents the whole.

My statement was simply to illustrate the flaw in your argument that a small sample can be used to represent the whole. I do not believe that any particular community represents the whole. Muslims are individuals and should be judged as such, and not used as examples to generalise.
Original post by Josb
Perhaps it was a progress in the 7th century, but now, in the 21st century, Islam is completely outdated and useless regarding women's rights.

never said that. i only mentioned it to show that the original prophets of islam were very progressive with regards to how women ought to be treated in a society. too bad this
characteristic has been lost on the contemporary muslims.
Momo was married to a women 20 year his elder who was an entrepreneur (lady was in import/resale of spices), that's liberal as ****, even by today's standards :tongue:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 192
The Quran is open to interpretation, 1.6 billion Muslims evidently don't follow these things, so it is a human decision whether or not to carry out these acts
Exactly. Just because a group interprets passages literally does not mean that their interpretation is wrong. In fact, taking a passage literally, without interpretation, is not "interpretation". It is simply accepting that an omnipotent, omniscient god said what he meant and meant what he said.

isn't it blatant that extremists exploit the vagueness to justify their actions?
Except that often the passage is not vague.
"Fight the disbelievers until there is no more idolatry and all religion is for Allah" is not at all vague. It is quite explicit that there is and action to be taken against a group until a set objective is achieved.

or are 1.6 billion people not true Muslims? I'm not sure
It depends who you ask. Each sect will accuse the others of being "not true Muslims" and when you tot it all up (as well as taking into account that people who convert for reasons other than a genuine belief in the truth of Islam are "not true Muslims"), there are very few "true Muslims".

[video="youtube;RJAL6xgViqg"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJAL6xgViqg[/video]
Reply 193
Equally, their forms of communism and nazism were crystal clear in their views. So it balances out.
You've lost me there.
Reply 194
So we live in a world of 1.6 billion poor followers of Islam, or what?
If you mean that the vast majority of Muslims either cherry-pick, or are fed a cherry-picked version of Islam to suit a particular agenda - then yes, you would be correct.
Reply 195
And yet, women were able to hold poitions of influence, manage their own affairs, and inherit familiy wealth in pre-Islamic Arabia (see Khadija, Muhammad's first wife).
Something doesn't add up.
Reply 196
Original post by Josb
Well said. I'm surprised that nobody said that Islam invented human rights or music.
The sun is Muslim!
Reply 197
I absolutely support the right for people to hold opinions and beliefs. I equally support the right for those opinions and beliefs to be criticised and ridiculed without mercy.
Reply 198
never said that. i only mentioned it to show that the original prophets of islam were very progressive with regards to how women ought to be treated in a society. too bad this
characteristic has been lost on the contemporary muslims.
Momo was married to a women 20 year his elder who was an entrepreneur (lady was in import/resale of spices), that's liberal as ****, even by today's standards :tongue:
Yes. And she was all those things (having inherited the business from her father) before Muhammad invented Islam.
Not sure where you got the idea that Muhammad was a warlord, and even then, so were many other figures in history? Why is the Muslim one suddenly more worthy of criticism than say Chairman Mao or Hitler?

again. seems odd for an 'atheist' to question the idea mohammed was a warlord, to anyone but a muslim he would have been the very definition of such, given his attempted conquests of the arabian penisula to impose himself as leader of all the arabs right up to his death

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending