The Student Room Group

Philip Davies MP has a “deeply sexist” rant showing "utter contempt for women"

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Bornblue
Statistical evidence to show men are treated more harshly in criminal courts.

How about the barely passing reference in court guidelines that men can be victims of domestic violence and them implying that it is discrimination to treat a female defendant like a male defendant?

This is from the equal treatment bench book.
Original post by joecphillips
How about the barely passing reference in court guidelines that men can be victims of domestic violence and them implying that it is discrimination to treat a female defendant like a male defendant?

This is from the equal treatment bench book.

I'm asking for statistical evidence that men are given harsher sentences for the same crimes. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, i'm asking for evidence.
Reply 22
Original post by Mathemagicien

The MP even defends vicious rapists and other male criminals in his haste to push his agenda. He whined that it is 'unfair' that men have to wear uniforms in prison but women do not “because it’s bad for their self esteem”.

Is it true? I didn't know that.
Reply 23
I'm asking for statistical evidence that men are given harsher sentences for the same crimes. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, i'm asking for evidence.

Yes I know that but I haven't seen a study recently from the uk, someone else might have a link to one I am showing you some ways women are treated better and how in the courts institutional discrimination exists.

'29% of male first-time offenders were sentenced to custody. For women, that figure was 17%. Men have a 62% chance of being bailed, while for women that figure is 80% and on average men serve 53% of their sentence but women serve 5% less than that.'
https://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2013/may/07/men-gender-divide-feminism

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/toughening-up-prisoner-privileges
Take away privileges from only male prisoners.

This is from the court guidelines I mentioned saying that the courts should question whether treating women the same is unjust.

"It is now well recognised that a misplaced conception of equality has resulted in some very unequal treatment for the women and girls who appear before the criminal justice system. Simply put, a male‐ordered world has applied to them its perceptions of the appropriate treatment for male offenders.... The criminal justice system could ... ask itself whether it is indeed unjust to women.”
Reply 24
Original post by Mathemagicien
Davies has a checkered political history. He has made scandalous statements before, recently sitting in a Parliamentary meeting about a debate for International Mens Day where he attacked Jess Phillips MP, one of the women defending civil rights and calling for him to be investigated/suspended, for laughing when he suggested a Parliamentary debate about Mens Issues such as the high suicide rate amongst men, and cancer treatment imbalances.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/699988/Philip-Davies-MP-sexism-feminism-criminal-justice-sustem-Jeremy-Corbyn-Theresa-May

(I'm paraphrasing here)

When a article holds a woman up who complains no one wants to rape her and comes out in support of mass sexual assault, as well as laughing at male suicide and ignoring over 40% of domestic violence victims you have to question what agenda are they pushing.
If a feminist or lefty group gave awards for 'lying male activist' or the month or 'why men rape', you'd accuse them of being sexist pigs. But apparently it's fine when such groups as this do it?

No, I wouldn't accuse somebody of being a sexist pig for writing an article about why men rape. It would depend entirely on what the article says about men (and it could prove a very interesting read).

Feminists attack MRAs just as MRAs attack feminists. We all know this. What's your point? How does this invalidate or incriminate Davies? People can write about whatever they want in the manner they want, as long as they don't lie. I don't have a problem with this.

Yes it may have been from a woman, but that doesn't mean it's not sexist. And yes there are a small number of false accusations but there is zero evidence that false accusations of rape are widespread.

What exactly is sexist about the article? Is it calling all women lying whores, saying untrue things about them...? Well, is it?

It is known that women can and do lie, and there have been several high profile cases in recent years. Articles exploring the topic are justified. Regardless, we don't exactly know how many women lie; we can only identify the cases where deception was discovered. It's a dark figure.

Judge a person by who they associate themselves with.

Assuming he's even aware Pruddy made this statement, he may not even agree with him in the first place, yet you immediately judge him for being in the guy's presence. I judge people by what they say and do.

Also, I suggest you amend your original post by removing the misleading falsehoods about Davies and the J4MB party before more people see it and you end up spreading more misinformation on the internet (which we really don't need).
(edited 7 years ago)
Anyone who has any doubts about the extreme disparity in sentencing & discrimination in the justice system should consult this U.C.L.
lecture here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyWSjz_z6BE

It's pretty comprehensive.

So it is an appalling situation where a public figure tries to speak truth to power. The media then makes no attempt whatsoever to ascertain whether what he is saying is true, and he gets castigated by the two main leaders of the opposition, Farron and Corbyn, who are more interested in their own prejudices than the truth as well. All in all, a democratic system which is failing its people.

Quick Reply

Latest