The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Puregym opening on Market St with an £11 a month offer right now

Tempting, but nah

Gym ain't in me
Original post by bammy jastard 27
Question for gymmers.

Doing weekdays at the gym, approximately 1hr in the gym. Main aim is hypertrophy and after the hypertrophy will go to a more cardio heavy workout to cut, once I've cut and have the right amount of body fat then I will focus on power(repeat cycle whenever needed).

I'm planning on swimming once a week for a recovery workout. I'm wondering whether I should make it on day 4(so that I have the weekend to rest) or day 5(so I have a 3 day rest routine)?

I'm inclined to do it on day 4 as 4 days straight gym and 3 days rest doesn't seem very healthy, feels like I will overtrain but if I do recovery swim on day 4, I have one day of rest, then I go to the gym on day 5 and then have a weekends rest.

So what exactly is this routine?
Olympics should have been held in London again. It's embarassing seeing so many empty seats.

Imagine how dead the Paralympics will be.
Original post by sr90
Olympics should have been held in London again. It's embarassing seeing so many empty seats.

Imagine how dead the Paralympics will be.

We were absolutely fanstastic hosting the Olympics - London 2012 was unreal.

When was the last time USA had the Olympics? I reckon it'd be great in one of their cities.
Original post by Angry cucumber

knowing jam it'll be something like this:

monday: chest and biceps
tuesday: chest and biceps
wednesday: chest and biceps
thursday: chest and biceps
friday: biceps and chest (switch it up)

training goal: get stronger legs
Original post by Lúcio
We were absolutely fanstastic hosting the Olympics - London 2012 was unreal.

When was the last time USA had the Olympics? I reckon it'd be great in one of their cities.

Atlanta 96
If your only going 4 days a week for 1hr with one day being a recovery day, you can't have a bro-split type work out. You're gonna need to do a PPL type. I would do Pull on Monday, Push Tues, Lower on Thurs and then swim or jog whenever you fancy before the next week.

It's going to be difficult to get the volume in with so few work outs so you're gonna need to stick to bigger lifts. That's why I'd do the Pull and Lower as far apart as possible, deadlifts for example you can put in on Pull days and be fresh enough to still have an intense lower work out later in the week.

Not a big believer in recovery cardio though. Not for non distance stuff anyway. I'll do a recovery run if I do a 7-8 miler but for lifting, some foam rolling and 10mins on the treadmill is enough for me assuming I'm not coming back from time off.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8047
Original post by Angry cucumber

Long going into each specifically but you can imagine what the routine consists of, most stuff are done 8-12 rep range 3-4 sets and when finishing with the muscle group final set lower weight(same weight if I still have energy) until failure. Mon-Fri

Day 1: Tris and Chest
Day 2: Back, Shoulder and Biceps
Day 3: Leg day (Mainly weighted Squats/leg extensions and weighted calf raises)
Day 4: Recovery day*/Lats/Abs
Day 5: Recovery day*/Biceps/Lats/Abs

*Recovery day only done once a week so if not done on day 4 done on day 5. Reasoning for those two days is because I'll rest one day on the weekend anyway and I'll want maximum rest time .

Recovery day is usually low-medium, intensity cardio based(such as swimming or cycling) or just plain rest.

I also play either basketball/football on weekends, basketball usually very high intensity so technically I get one rest day.

I'm also one of those people who suffer from long, long arms.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by swirly
knowing jam it'll be something like this:

monday: chest and biceps
tuesday: chest and biceps
wednesday: chest and biceps
thursday: chest and biceps
friday: biceps and chest (switch it up)

training goal: get stronger legs

First 30 seconds

Day 2: Back, Shoulder and Biceps
This is basically why I wouldn't do a bro split. If you're doing 8-12 reps with 3-4 sets, you're probably spending at least 5 mins on each exercise. You've got 3 body parts do in 1hr, so assuming seamless transitions and some pretty short rest periods you've got 4 exercises per body part. If you're doing 4 exercises for back, at the intensity that the workout time imply for rest periods, you're going to struggle to get results imo.

If you want results you need to put in the cumulative work. That workout looks low on volume and high on accessory/fluff-work.

Also these youtube embeds aren't working for me of late.
Full body workouts ftw
Reply 8051
Original post by Fizzel
This is basically why I wouldn't do a bro split. If you're doing 8-12 reps with 3-4 sets, you're probably spending at least 5 mins on each exercise. You've got 3 body parts do in 1hr, so assuming seamless transitions and some pretty short rest periods you've got 4 exercises per body part. If you're doing 4 exercises for back, at the intensity that the workout time imply for rest periods, you're going to struggle to get results imo.

If you want results you need to put in the cumulative work. That workout looks low on volume and high on accessory/fluff-work.

Also these youtube embeds aren't working for me of late.

Yeah. The 3 muscle group day does seem a bit much. In all honesty I have time to increase the workout to an hour and a half but I figured after an hour I lose the ability to actually gym at a decent intensity, seems like I am more likely to over train than get results after an hour. I get way too tired after that point and I do an until failure set at the end anyway.

Since I play basketball on weekends I figured I'd get a full body workout from that anyway. That's kind of the reason why I want to have a recovery day midweek otherwise it means I workout 6/7 days which is just asking for an injury.
(edited 7 years ago)
A level results tomorrow. Fair to say I won't be getting much sleep tonight.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Yeah. The 3 muscle group day does seem a bit much. In all honesty I have time to increase the workout to an hour and a half but I figured after an hour I lose the ability to actually gym at a decent intensity, seems like I am more likely to over train than get results after an hour.
The point was more one of not all exercises are equal, doing squats, OHP, deads, bench are all going to give you more bang for your buck than accessory/isolation type stuff. If you've got limited time and limited work outs, you need to avoid focusing on details at the expense of overall workload. Imo, far far more gym goes suffer from lack of volume in their workouts than overtraining, basically far more people in the gym wasting time on the cables and such, than guys who need more rest to progress. I've run a couple of high frequency training methods on my squat over the last year, and I've never suffered from "overtraining", in the sense of lack of results in either case. I made great progress, but found it niggling injuries, boredom and general life to be the constraints with running them again. Have you run any cookie cutter programs for any period of time as a gauge?
Original post by IamJacksContempt
What? I agree that we're punching well above our weight in size but wealth? Britain has spent a lot in order to be more and more competitive in the olympics. Its the reason why we've been more successful in recent competitions.

6th richest country - 2nd in the medal table = above our weight,

Is what I meant,
Original post by ClockEnderAFC

Damn, good luck man!

I remember when I was getting mine - I woke up at about 6am and saw I had an email saying my firm choice had accepted me.

I was proper confused and thought there was a mistake so I went on to the UCAS site and there it was :tongue:
Didn't know my grades but I knew I'd been accepted, so it kinda took the results day drama away from me. However I knew whatever happened I'd done enough to get to uni so there was nothing to be scared about.

Turns out I got the only Psychology A* in the entire College :wink:

Good luck!
Reply 8057

Good luck
exchange rate between pound / rmb has risen back up from 8.54 a few days ago, to 8.73

Effectively a grand and a half gone from my savings, in uk money terms.

hate this worry, need to get my money back in pounds sometime soon, so that I can just relax again and not have to consider a fluctuating currency when planning
How are rappers meant to eat when opening week sales barely top 300k:frown: