The Student Room Group

There is no evidence for God

Scroll to see replies

Original post by stirkee
I agree there's a difference between wanting to believe it (say because you think its "right" to) and actually believing it. I'm not remotely religious but I accept that people are. They all will presumably have their own reasons, maybe they thought they saw some miracle when they were 7 or something haha, but I don't understand why people get so worked up if people are religious.Why is it necessarily illogical? If worshipping a god brings someone happiness or makes them feel good then why should they stop?

There is a line, of course. If say creationism gets in the way of hard scientific facts then fair enough but as far as I am aware no-one has proven that a god, or gods, do not exist?
It's illogical because there's no evidence for it, in the sense that you're essentially fooling yourself into believing it's there just because it makes you happier to think so (some people are obviously satisfied with this, but I'd hate to purposefully withhold the truth from myself). If you use religion as just a way of life then it's harmless, but those who become too devout can turn it into a political force if they have sufficient numbers and anything that doesn't fit their narrative is then threatened. One example is, as you have aptly said, creationism being taught in religious schools. The children had no choice in attending the school since their parents decided, so it's essentially indoctrination and (in my opinion) a form of intellectual abuse. Obviously that doesn't occur in a lot of instances, but that's dependent on where you live in the world. Moreover I just couldn't stand lying to myself when there's a mountain of evidence to suggest the converse. By its very nature one cannot prove or disprove God, but the probability of his existence is practically zero in face of the counter evidence (and that's just a non-interventionist creator God, the gods of the various world scriptures blatantly don't exist).
I havnt never seen evolution beffore. I think its all lies
*grabs popcorn*
Original post by davidguettafan
So why do people still believe in God?

Posted from TSR Mobile

They were brought up by their parents to do so and lack the courage to defy their wishes for what is the truth.
Reply 24
Original post by hellodave5
I havnt never seen evolution beffore. I think its all lies

Does this have anything to do with the thread? Haven't seen =/= no evidence for
Original post by difeo
Does this have anything to do with the thread? Haven't seen =/= no evidence for

:reel::ahee:
Ultimately it probably comes down to a fear of death.Everyone you love is going to die one day and then you will too.Religion says that you'll never die,you'll see everyone again and that you'll be eternally happy in heaven.And everyone bad will be punished. People want to believe its true.But of course its too good to possibly be true.
Reply 27
It may be illogical, but religion gives people hope. If you see a family member on the verge of death and they believe in heaven would you tell them straight up it's illogical to believe in someone like god and therefore life after death? If you think it's right to put people down like that or imply that it's stupid to believe in something which doesn't have actual proof you disgust me mate. It's called faith.
Personally I believe in God but sometimes I don't it's all about faith. if you don't believe in god that's fine. I do me, you do you. Get me g? :smile:
Original post by JRKinder
It's illogical because there's no evidence for it, in the sense that you're essentially fooling yourself into believing it's there just because it makes you happier to think so (some people are obviously satisfied with this, but I'd hate to purposefully withhold the truth from myself). If you use religion as just a way of life then it's harmless, but those who become too devout can turn it into a political force if they have sufficient numbers and anything that doesn't fit their narrative is then threatened. One example is, as you have aptly said, creationism being taught in religious schools. The children had no choice in attending the school since their parents decided, so it's essentially indoctrination and (in my opinion) a form of intellectual abuse. Obviously that doesn't occur in a lot of instances, but that's dependent on where you live in the world. Moreover I just couldn't stand lying to myself when there's a mountain of evidence to suggest the converse. By its very nature one cannot prove or disprove God, but the probability of his existence is practically zero in face of the counter evidence (and that's just a non-interventionist creator God, the gods of the various world scriptures blatantly don't exist).

I get your point (and largely I agree with you, I just like debate :wink:)

My only point is that the illogicality (is that a word?!) of it is perhaps irrelevant, if someone wants to "fool themselves" as you put it (and to an extent, its maybe a case of its harsh but true) then if it makes them happy and its not impacting anyone else then each to their own.

Obviously when religion steps in the way of fact, like the creationism example I gave, or when it becomes an issue maybe in terms of indoctrination as you mentioned then clearly its doing more harm than good- though that wasn't the point of the thread.

The fact that there is no evidence for god should not stop people from believing it if they want to. Do I personally waste time believing it, no, but if for someone else it brings hope or happiness in a harmless sense then how can it be an issue?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 29
like I said I said I dont think it's illogical to believe in God because it actually serves a purpose. It gives people hope, brings out (SOMETIMES) the best of people and even helps create a community. Even if you do fool yourself into it I think it helps people deal with issues. For example before I was born my brother died,my grandma used to tell my parents that it was all part of gods plan. I found it hard to believe when my grandma told me it at that time and I still do now but it helped my parents get over the death, and of course they had me after :smile: So I think in someways things like faith is helpful.

I have to say though I used to be an athiest and I sort of see where you're coming from.
Reply 30
Original post by Retropattern
there is no evidence that god does not exist.

There's no evidence I don't shape shift into a tomato when no one's looking

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
dunno, why do girls still worship kim kardashian?
Reply 32
Original post by Kendrik Lamar
That's kind of a rush, emotional, risky, blanket judgmental opinion there, don't you think?

Much like believing in a fairy tale then?
Reply 33
Original post by FrenchUnicorn
You again ..?

If you're happy not believing in God well you should just keep that up :h:

If some other people do think there is a God somewhere and are happy with that thought; they should keep that up :h:

If some others don't want to believe in humans and think they're a unicorn and are happy this way they should keep that up :h:

Why would you be bothered by what people think if it does not cause you any harm..

[scrollr] :pika: [/scrollr]

Because they brainwash their kids, they manipulate others. Just because there is no immediate physical harm doesn't mean there is no harm at all.

And by your logic it is fine to be racist as long as you don't act out. If people can talk about God they can talk about how whites are God's chosen people.
Reply 34
Original post by Josh124
It may be illogical, but religion gives people hope. If you see a family member on the verge of death and they believe in heaven would you tell them straight up it's illogical to believe in someone like god and therefore life after death? If you think it's right to put people down like that or imply that it's stupid to believe in something which doesn't have actual proof you disgust me mate. It's called faith.
Personally I believe in God but sometimes I don't it's all about faith. if you don't believe in god that's fine. I do me, you do you. Get me g? :smile:

yea g, what you saying is you weak.
It's funny how believing in God is pretty much the only thing you can believe in with no evidence or even logical suggestion and not be called crazy

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by inhuman
Because they brainwash their kids, they manipulate others. Just because there is no immediate physical harm doesn't mean there is no harm at all.

So basically raising a child is a brainwash now ? Like if your parents raise you as a bilingual child omg what a brainwash maybe you didn't want to be bilingual :no:

And by your logic it is fine to be racist as long as you don't act out.

O_o
O____o
O____________o

"My logic" never said being racist is okay, you said it, ffs are you that stupid ?

If people can talk about God they can talk about how whites are God's chosen people.

I'm sorry ?
Reply 37
Original post by FrenchUnicorn
So basically raising a child is a brainwash now ? Like if your parents raise you as a bilingual child omg what a brainwash maybe you didn't want to be bilingual :no:

O_o
O____o
O____________o

"My logic" never said being racist is okay, you said it, ffs are you that stupid ?

I'm sorry ?

The only one who is stupid is you. You refuse to look beyond your bias.

A language is real. God is not. Telling your child she is real is brainwashing. I appreciate that this may apply to many things regarding raising children, but this is particularly discerning as you are essentially making up a fairy tale.

Yes it did. You said it's fine to believe what you want as long as you don't hurt others. Going around saying whites are God's chosen people, is not harming others, is it? It is a perfectly legitimate belief according to you.
Original post by inhuman
The only one who is stupid is you. You refuse to look beyond your bias.

A language is real. God is not. Telling your child she is real is brainwashing. I appreciate that this may apply to many things regarding raising children, but this is particularly discerning as you are essentially making up a fairy tale.

Yes it did. You said it's fine to believe what you want as long as you don't hurt others. Going around saying whites are God's chosen people, is not harming others, is it? It is a perfectly legitimate belief according to you.

Is that a pure fact? Set out in stone? Completely objective? No. It's a belief. You believe God isn't real, others believe he is. Get a grip and stop insulting people for their belief. You can disagree with them but you're on every single thread almost every hour of the day as if it's some mission of yours, you seem just as brainwashed lmfao. Does nothing or nobody else ever put a smile on your face?
Well I call it "Easter Bunny syndrome" - as a child you are led to believe that the Easter Bunny/Santa/The Tooth Fairy exists, you have an unshaeable belief that they do and it embeds into your psyche until you are proven otherwise. (Trust me it look me a long time to stop believing Santa exists :cry2:. It's the same with God, except it's very likely that we'll never be proven he doesn't exist so we believe that he does. Blind faith, yes. I'd rather worship something tangible like a tree or something.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending