The Student Room Group

EPQ or Duke of Edinburgh

Should I do the epq or dofe?

So I am choosing 4 subjects and hopefully will continue all 4 to a2, I have a choice to do either the epq or dofe, I was just wondering which one will make me look better (don't consider the amount of time epq requires) just which would you say is worth it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
I haven't done DofE for myself I'm afraid but I did the EPQ. It was fairly hard but I found it really useful for getting me prepared for practical reports at university (I've just finished my first year). What subjects are you studying and what are you wanting to study at university (assuming you're wanting to go)?
Why not both?
Reply 3
Original post by JKS64
I haven't done DofE for myself I'm afraid but I did the EPQ. It was fairly hard but I found it really useful for getting me prepared for practical reports at university (I've just finished my first year). What subjects are you studying and what are you wanting to study at university (assuming you're wanting to go)?

maths, FM, Bio and Economy
Uni - stats/finance/maths/economics

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by TH3-FL45H
Why not both?

I don't know if my school will let me, they gave us a choice our of either 2, but I guess I could try ask

Posted from TSR Mobile
I found the EPQ a total waste of a good deal of time. There's too much paperwork and messing around involved and too little credit from universities to make it worth it. I don't know much about D of E, but it at least sounds like a worthwhile experience.
EPQ looks better for grades and boosts your points however DofE shows you in a better light and looks great on a personal statement, personally I'd say DofE but its down to what you believe is best in the end of the day

Posted from TSR Mobile
What calibre of universities will you be applying to?
Reply 8
Thanks for the replies

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by AdeptDz
maths, FM, Bio and Economy
Uni - stats/finance/maths/economics

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't study any of those myself at uni, but I have had friends who have studied very similar A-Levels to yours and have got onto maths based courses at prestigious universities without EPQ or DofE.

In that case, I think it's a matter of what you want/need to get out of each one. I think DofE can give you some really good extra-curricular activities which bumph up your application and demonstrate a range of other skills, but as I say, I haven't done it myself. An EPQ can be really useful to show dedication and commitment to a subject, as well as time management and research skills which are really valuable at university.
Reply 10
Original post by JKS64
I don't study any of those myself at uni, but I have had friends who have studied very similar A-Levels to yours and have got onto maths based courses at prestigious universities without EPQ or DofE.

In that case, I think it's a matter of what you want/need to get out of each one. I think DofE can give you some really good extra-curricular activities which bumph up your application and demonstrate a range of other skills, but as I say, I haven't done it myself. An EPQ can be really useful to show dedication and commitment to a subject, as well as time management and research skills which are really valuable at university.

thanks, I don't have much extra-curricular activities, do you have any suggestions of good things to do other than dofe

Posted from TSR Mobile
recently unis really love EPQs and will drop your grades down by one given you get a B or more. This is in discretion of the uni. I personally loved doing my epq.
Reply 12
Thanks, I'll probably just pick epq then ask to do dofe, if not possible I'll just do other EC, thanks for the reply

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did EPQ this year and have previously completed Silver DofE. In my honest opinion, do EPQ. Loads of kids seem to do DofE and to be blunt it isn't that special at all. All the Unis I've applied to didn't care one bit about it. EPQ however gives you UCAS points which may help boost you up to your conditional offer if you miss out by one grade on your A2 Levels. :smile: EPQ did seem like a lot of work however so be prepared to put in a decent amount of time. You get a lot of marks from the paperwork/forms so make sure you're organised.
Reply 14
Original post by CTLevers
I did EPQ this year and have previously completed Silver DofE. In my honest opinion, do EPQ. Loads of kids seem to do DofE and to be blunt it isn't that special at all. All the Unis I've applied to didn't care one bit about it. EPQ however gives you UCAS points which may help boost you up to your conditional offer if you miss out by one grade on your A2 Levels. :smile: EPQ did seem like a lot of work however so be prepared to put in a decent amount of time. You get a lot of marks from the paperwork/forms so make sure you're organised.

Thanks a lot

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by AdeptDz
thanks, I don't have much extra-curricular activities, do you have any suggestions of good things to do other than dofe

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you're wanting to study all four of your subjects through to A2 and do an EPQ, then you'll already have a load of relevant and really useful skills for a maths based uni course.

For activities, you could look for some which are more academically focused such training days at universities. I did some in year 12 and friends of mine have done language ones which involved actually staying over at uni accommodation for a few nights. Like the EPQ, it just shows you truly enjoy and understand your subject in greater depth.

Alternatively, do something less academically focused but make sure you enjoy it rather than doing it to tick boxes. This could include volunteering (which I think you have to do in DofE anyway), paid work/employment, work experience or hobbies/sports you enjoy. You can mention skills/knowledge you've gained from doing these and perhaps even say how you'd want to join the respective societies at university.

A few tips for if you do EPQ though: choose a topic which you will enjoy and feel genuinely interested by, make sure you can get primary and secondary research for it, try use some form of statistical test (it will demonstrate your own interest and understanding of maths), and make sure you space it out over time rather than doing it last minute - a lot of people I know failed it because of that :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
I am doing both right now. Personally I'd pick EPQ because it will actually be something you can say youve done on your application, whereas DofE takes a long time to finish so you probably wont finish it before applications are made, and even if you do, it's not really something that makes you individual whereas an EPQ shows you have deeper interests in certain topics.
Ultimately however pick the one you think youll enjoy more. :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by JKS64
If you're wanting to study all four of your subjects through to A2 and do an EPQ, then you'll already have a load of relevant and really useful skills for a maths based uni course.

For activities, you could look for some which are more academically focused such training days at universities. I did some in year 12 and friends of mine have done language ones which involved actually staying over at uni accommodation for a few nights. Like the EPQ, it just shows you truly enjoy and understand your subject in greater depth.

Alternatively, do something less academically focused but make sure you enjoy it rather than doing it to tick boxes. This could include volunteering (which I think you have to do in DofE anyway), paid work/employment, work experience or hobbies/sports you enjoy. You can mention skills/knowledge you've gained from doing these and perhaps even say how you'd want to join the respective societies at university.

A few tips for if you do EPQ though: choose a topic which you will enjoy and feel genuinely interested by, make sure you can get primary and secondary research for it, try use some form of statistical test (it will demonstrate your own interest and understanding of maths), and make sure you space it out over time rather than doing it last minute - a lot of people I know failed it because of that :smile:

Thanks man, really helpful

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by Uni12345678
I am doing both right now. Personally I'd pick EPQ because it will actually be something you can say youve done on your application, whereas DofE takes a long time to finish so you probably wont finish it before applications are made, and even if you do, it's not really something that makes you individual whereas an EPQ shows you have deeper interests in certain topics.
Ultimately however pick the one you think youll enjoy more. :smile:

Cool, thanks..
I want to do my epq on maths of banking
But I don't know what to do specifically do it on

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest