The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tw781
Sat my UKCAT today and performed awful. UKCAT unis are out of the question :-(. I have neglected my GAMSAT revision in favour of getting a high UKCAT score, which seemed likely, until today. Now I am so disheartened I cannot see how I am going to score high enough on the GAMSAT next month :-/. For S2, what are your best resources?????

I am very sorry to hear this*:frown:*

Stay positive, and don't give up or let it put you down. Try your best for GAMSAT. All you can do is give it you best shot, and Im sure you did for the UKCAT and will for the GAMSAT.*You being upset is normal, because you care. *But there is always another chance.*
Can I ask what happened was it nerves? I'm sitting mine in a week, and until a week ago I was completely stressing, but I know this is what I want, so if I don't make it this year, I'll try next and next. *
Original post by 123ash
Thats good, because it totally vanished on the practice test. So long i can get it back on the real one. Not long left now*:eek::eek:

When is your test?
You'll probably come out wondering what all the fuss is about and the proud possessor of a stellar score!
Original post by 123ash
Thats good, because it totally vanished on the practice test. So long i can get it back on the real one. Not long left now*:eek::eek:

When is your test?
You'll probably come out wondering what all the fuss is about and the proud possessor of a stellar score!
Original post by Medici103
When is your test?

I hope so, being positive. Next Tuesday!
Original post by saran23
I am very sorry to hear that :frown:

I have been revising predominantly for the UKCAT and like you I have neglected the GAMSAT totally. I am going to be revising for both at the same time. Mornings solely on the UKCAT and evenings on the GAMSAT(sad life for the next month). But I am worried that 1 month may not be enough :frown:

Hi saran23

It sounds as though you are approaching it in the best way possible by creating yourself a schedule and setting aside time to prepare for each. 1 month is plenty of time, just got to keep going at it and practice, practice, practice.

Do give me a shout if you have any specific questions we can help with.

Good luck with it all!

UniAdmissions
Original post by tw781
Sat my UKCAT today and performed awful. UKCAT unis are out of the question :-(. I have neglected my GAMSAT revision in favour of getting a high UKCAT score, which seemed likely, until today. Now I am so disheartened I cannot see how I am going to score high enough on the GAMSAT next month :-/. For S2, what are your best resources?????

Firstly, don't worry. It's ok to screw up, I'm on my 'second-chance' application cycle after being ill for my interviews for 2016 entry (Notts, sgul) hence monumentally buggering up. all you can do is give it a real, honest try and it's a really high level spot we're aiming for so don't be so hard on yourself! Crash course for GAMSAT revision: buy the Des O'Neills GAMSAT questions, I got mine off eBay for like a tenner. It's a ton of questions with answers which is how you study for the test. Don't waste your time memorising anything, learn to understand and apply to problems. Although it's only caveat is that the S2 stuff is slightly banal, writing an essay shouldn't be that challenging for a graduate. That being said I highly recommend a c graylings books the meaning of things, the heart of things and the mystery of things (again very cheap on eBay) for S2. Also griffiths GAMSAT review gives a good guide to the test with some essay prompts and questions. Just do loads of questions, I see a marked improvement in my first practice test from doing this. Apologies if I was rambling I'm on a string of night shifts at the hospice I'm hca-ing at which sends you slightly in to the abyss :P
Reply 1126
Original post by 123ash
I am very sorry to hear this*:frown:*

Stay positive, and don't give up or let it put you down. Try your best for GAMSAT. All you can do is give it you best shot, and Im sure you did for the UKCAT and will for the GAMSAT.*You being upset is normal, because you care. *But there is always another chance.*
Can I ask what happened was it nerves? I'm sitting mine in a week, and until a week ago I was completely stressing, but I know this is what I want, so if I don't make it this year, I'll try next and next. *

Honestly I tried to remain confident in the test and didn't feel that nervous until AR! I don't know what everyone is saying about QR and AR being easier than practices because it was a lot harder for me! I actually thought VR was OK apart from the time but I didn't even score 600 in it!! Not really sure what happened, mainly running out of time but I think it was the test being hard!
Reply 1127
Original post by Cuts92
Firstly, don't worry. It's ok to screw up, I'm on my 'second-chance' application cycle after being ill for my interviews for 2016 entry (Notts, sgul) hence monumentally buggering up. all you can do is give it a real, honest try and it's a really high level spot we're aiming for so don't be so hard on yourself! Crash course for GAMSAT revision: buy the Des O'Neills GAMSAT questions, I got mine off eBay for like a tenner. It's a ton of questions with answers which is how you study for the test. Don't waste your time memorising anything, learn to understand and apply to problems. Although it's only caveat is that the S2 stuff is slightly banal, writing an essay shouldn't be that challenging for a graduate. That being said I highly recommend a c graylings books the meaning of things, the heart of things and the mystery of things (again very cheap on eBay) for S2. Also griffiths GAMSAT review gives a good guide to the test with some essay prompts and questions. Just do loads of questions, I see a marked improvement in my first practice test from doing this. Apologies if I was rambling I'm on a string of night shifts at the hospice I'm hca-ing at which sends you slightly in to the abyss :P

Thanks!! I'm going to look into those! I have a lot of books for S2 and have been doing a lot of reading but I am still yet to write an essay (I'm good at writing essays so I am less worried about this!!)
What topics for S2 would you say are the most important?
Original post by tw781
Honestly I tried to remain confident in the test and didn't feel that nervous until AR! I don't know what everyone is saying about QR and AR being easier than practices because it was a lot harder for me! I actually thought VR was OK apart from the time but I didn't even score 600 in it!! Not really sure what happened, mainly running out of time but I think it was the test being hard!

Thanks for the honest reply. I guess one can prepare to a limit for a test like this, and then its down to luck on the day with Qs.
Hello, thought I should introduce myself as I've lurked on this thread for a while now! I'm a neuroscience graduate (2.1), with a research masters in Neuroscience also (I like brains :h: )
I've been working a research technician for nearly 2 years now, but recently changed to working in a clinical trials environment. I'm studying for the GAMSAT, and plan to only apply to uni's that will accept that - although I might take the UKCAT if it goes terribly!! My top choice is probably Nottingham, but I'm also pretty keen on Swansea. This will be my first time applying for medicine.Two questions for you all!

1. Did anyone manage to go to the Swansea open day? I really wanted to check it out but unfortunately I couldn't afford to get there :frown:

2. I don't have a huge amount of work experience. I managed to get a week of shadowing in a neurology department with a few different consultants (which was amazing!), and I've started volunteering in my local hospital once a week, annoyingly I had a volunteer place sorted months ago, but due to all sorts of form filling I've only just started this month (once a week - 3 hours!). I was wondering if anyone would consider my actual job as a form of work experience or if it's a bit of a stretch? I work in medical research, most of the time I'm doing molecular biology stuff, but once a week I coordinate a clinical trial so have to communicate with Drs and Research Nurses and process human samples. It's a little different but I'm hoping to be able to explain it in such a way that bumps up my work exp a bit! Thanks!
Original post by neuromeg
Hello, thought I should introduce myself as I've lurked on this thread for a while now! I'm a neuroscience graduate (2.1), with a research masters in Neuroscience also (I like brains :h: )
I've been working a research technician for nearly 2 years now, but recently changed to working in a clinical trials environment. I'm studying for the GAMSAT, and plan to only apply to uni's that will accept that - although I might take the UKCAT if it goes terribly!! My top choice is probably Nottingham, but I'm also pretty keen on Swansea. This will be my first time applying for medicine.Two questions for you all!

1. Did anyone manage to go to the Swansea open day? I really wanted to check it out but unfortunately I couldn't afford to get there :frown:

2. I don't have a huge amount of work experience. I managed to get a week of shadowing in a neurology department with a few different consultants (which was amazing!), and I've started volunteering in my local hospital once a week, annoyingly I had a volunteer place sorted months ago, but due to all sorts of form filling I've only just started this month (once a week - 3 hours!). I was wondering if anyone would consider my actual job as a form of work experience or if it's a bit of a stretch? I work in medical research, most of the time I'm doing molecular biology stuff, but once a week I coordinate a clinical trial so have to communicate with Drs and Research Nurses and process human samples. It's a little different but I'm hoping to be able to explain it in such a way that bumps up my work exp a bit! Thanks!

Welcome!
As far as the admissions tests go, you may want to consider taking the UKCAT anyway seeing as the results for GAMSAT don't come out until after the application deadline. Of course, if you feel confident in being able to gauge how well you've done in the exam after taking it then stick to your plan.
In terms of work experience, I'm using my job to meet some of the work experience requirements. The place where you may have an issue is with Warwick, but as they are a UKCAT uni I guess you aren't planning on applying there anyway. They have lists available on the website which state what they consider to be acceptable work experience.
If you're in doubt, contact the places that you are interested in and ask. You will have a better picture of what you need to do to make the strongest application possible.

Hope this helps.
Alright everyone! How's it going? I'm thinking about applying this October to med school for graduate entry. Applied as an undergraduate but ended up having to do a degree. Looking at getting a first (hopefully!) in biomed. Taking both GAMSAT and UKCAT. Anybody thinking about Warwick or Liverpool? Also, how's everyone's work experiences coming along? :smile:
So I've just decided to do the ukcat, if i book the test say a month from today will i have enough time to get a decent mark?
Original post by ArabianPhoenix
So I've just decided to do the ukcat, if i book the test say a month from today will i have enough time to get a decent mark?

You should have plenty of time. There is lot's of info available on the resources that people have used to help prepare for the UKCAT so find something that works for you and go for it. Good luck!
Original post by MedSchoolHope4
Alright everyone! How's it going? I'm thinking about applying this October to med school for graduate entry. Applied as an undergraduate but ended up having to do a degree. Looking at getting a first (hopefully!) in biomed. Taking both GAMSAT and UKCAT. Anybody thinking about Warwick or Liverpool? Also, how's everyone's work experiences coming along? :smile:

Hi, I am going to apply to Warwick. I decided not to do GAMSAT. I already have my UKCAT score so I'm going to stick to just consortium unis. Haven't really got enough time to devote to GAMSAT revision either as MSc thesis submission is looming. Work experience is sorted. I've been working in a clinical role throughout my masters and I have a volunteering place set up now as well. How about you?
Hi there - similarly to you I applied for med school when I was younger and didn't get in. I've got an Econ degree, so restricted a bit in the places I can apply. Especially as I can't go anywhere outside the South East.

All the chat on the UKCAT poll thread has me worried that the average is about to go up a lot this year and my score (743) won't be good enough for Southampton grad programme. Kind of resigning myself to the fact that I might have to do a 5 year course...probably being too anxious but also concerned if the average goes up a lot I will be uncompetitive for the 5 years at Kings, Soton etc. as well.

Guess I better knuckle down for the GAMSAT...

Original post by MedSchoolHope4
Original post by saward1988
Hi there - similarly to you I applied for med school when I was younger and didn't get in. I've got an Econ degree, so restricted a bit in the places I can apply. Especially as I can't go anywhere outside the South East.

All the chat on the UKCAT poll thread has me worried that the average is about to go up a lot this year and my score (743) won't be good enough for Southampton grad programme. Kind of resigning myself to the fact that I might have to do a 5 year course...probably being too anxious but also concerned if the average goes up a lot I will be uncompetitive for the 5 years at Kings, Soton etc. as well.

Guess I better knuckle down for the GAMSAT...

Your UKCAT score is very good and pls there is no need for concern. There has been a lot of discussion on TSR of a possible inflation in the scores but anything above 730 is generally considered safe imo. It is best you wait for official data from UKCAT about the decile ranges.
Original post by Medici103
Welcome!
As far as the admissions tests go, you may want to consider taking the UKCAT anyway seeing as the results for GAMSAT don't come out until after the application deadline. Of course, if you feel confident in being able to gauge how well you've done in the exam after taking it then stick to your plan.
In terms of work experience, I'm using my job to meet some of the work experience requirements. The place where you may have an issue is with Warwick, but as they are a UKCAT uni I guess you aren't planning on applying there anyway. They have lists available on the website which state what they consider to be acceptable work experience.
If you're in doubt, contact the places that you are interested in and ask. You will have a better picture of what you need to do to make the strongest application possible.

Hope this helps.

Thanks! I'm probably going to stick with the GAMSAT only though as I've put quite a lot of work into revising for it, and the UKCAT is just awful to me! But I will contact Notts and Swansea to see if they will approve of my job as a type of work experience :smile:
Guys anyone who have given their ukcat exam. How is VR and QR in real exam? Is it Similar to medify? How to increase speed in VR😯

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nisha devi
Guys anyone who have given their ukcat exam. How is VR and QR in real exam? Is it Similar to medify? How to increase speed in VR😯

Posted from TSR Mobile

I found VR similar to medify and QR slightly easier. In terms of speeding up: for VR, I read the passage quickly first, skim reading, to get the general gist and layout. Then I read the question. I look for key words/numbers from the question in the passage. For QR, it was practice with the timed questions bit on medify. Also used the section specific skills breakdown to assess what I needed to work on.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending