The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chutiya
That's amazing! Barts is one of my main choices... Do you know how many a level/ ib subjects your friend took?

Posted from TSR Mobile

They did 3 A-levels in Bio, Chem and Maths predicted A*A*A, the A was in maths. I don't know how much weight they put on GCSEs but they had 11A*s, 1B
Is the real exam close to the Kaplan practice tests?
Original post by lukemanjan
I can already tell you're going to struggle on verbal reasoning. :biggrin:

Why excatly? im really worried from what people ar sayimg as its already my worst section. Dont know what else to do.
Reply 2543
Original post by Hazard82
First off relax don't let the stress get to you. If you think the extra time will help you collect yourself and remain composed then I'd recommend for you to reschedule. Just for reference a friend of mine got into Bart's and the London with a UKCAT of 2430, but bear in mind these practice tests are often harder than the actual test so do cut yourself some slack.

Remember this whole thing is still in your hands, so it's better to take it when you're ready than to do it and kick yourself afterwards.

Hope this helps :smile:

Hello. I'm interested in applying to Barts. Sorry this may seem like a silly question but I presume that the 2430 score in UKCAT includes the decision analysis?
Original post by 21957
Hello. I'm interested in applying to Barts. Sorry this may seem like a silly question but I presume that the 2430 score in UKCAT includes the decision analysis?

Yeah sorry I applied for 2016 entry and so did my friend that's why it's 2430. I've got an offer from UCL about to find out in a few hours whether I've made it!!!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2545
Yeah sorry I applied in 2016 and so did my friend that's why it's 2430. I've got an offer from UCL about to find out in a few hours whether I've made it!!!

Thanks
Wow!! Firstly, well done for getting an offer from UCL. I'm sure you'll get the grades required. I wish you best of luck!! :smile:
Also, if u don't mind me asking, what was your BMAT score in each section and where else did you apply? I am going to do the BMAT as well
Original post by alanaro
I basically just answered as many practice questions as possible - e.g. Medify, 1200 question book by Admissions Tutor.

To be honest it's hardly worth preparing for the QR bit ... it was literally just like work out the mean / percentage changes in a table. Better to focus on verbal reasoning which is a little more tricky (at least I found this).

Also scrap the 1000q book. The questions are too hard, not realistic and quite frankly demoralising when you do it ... apart from the situation judgement questions.

I've nearly finished the 1000q book and was finding it quite hard, so thats good to hear. I'll have a look at the others, cheers
Original post by 21957
Thanks
Wow!! Firstly, well done for getting an offer from UCL. I'm sure you'll get the grades required. I wish you best of luck!! :smile:
Also, if u don't mind me asking, what was your BMAT score in each section and where else did you apply? I am going to do the BMAT as well

Aha thanks my interview was very borderline so they gave me A*AAA instead of A*AA (A* Bio or Chem). BMAT was 5.4, 6.9, 3A

I applied to Cambridge, UCL, Imperial and Birmingham. I got pool interviewed at Cambridge, so just missed out but oh well London's better for Medicine tbh. Firmed UCL and insured Birmingham
Reply 2548
Aha thanks my interview was very borderline so they gave me A*AAA instead of A*AA (A* Bio or Chem). BMAT was 5.4, 6.9, 3A

I applied to Cambridge, UCL, Imperial and Birmingham. I got pool interviewed at Cambridge, so just missed out but oh well London's better for Medicine tbh. Firmed UCL and insured Birmingham

Wow! Well done :smile: Loving that application combo of 1 UKCAT and 3 BMAT :biggrin:
I'm planning to apply to Birmingham, Barts, Leicester and Oxford. Can I ask what your GCSEs were ??
Original post by 21957
Wow! Well done :smile: Loving that application combo of 1 UKCAT and 3 BMAT :biggrin:
I'm planning to apply to Birmingham, Barts, Leicester and Oxford. Can I ask what your GCSEs were ??

Yeah aha my bio teacher was like "you better have banged it out for this one". My GCSEs were 12A*s and an A in Add Maths (FSMQ). Feel free to PM me if you want detailed advice for the application process at Birmingham or the BMAT. Staying up for results anyway :tongue:
What is considered a good ukcat score in terms of unis like i got 677 band 1 could i still apply to newcastle or would it be out of the question?
Is 2010 on medify 1 and 2080 on medify 2 decent? Like, could i hope to do better on real one? its tomorrow so need urgent feedback :smile:
Is 1630/2700 and band 2 really bad?
It's below average but that's ok. Remember, only the best and the brightest do UKCAT so being below average isn't really a bad thing.

Many applicants had studied for years for their UKCAT tests and many have had thousands of pounds spent on tutoring and prep.
Original post by tomlam
It's below average but that's ok. Remember, only the best and the brightest do UKCAT so being below average isn't really a bad thing.

Many applicants had studied for years for their UKCAT tests and many have had thousands of pounds spent on tutoring and prep.

I revised it for 2 weeks 🙁🙁
Original post by tomlam
Remember, only the best and the brightest do UKCAT

I deeply disagree.
Original post by jahidur99
I revised it for 2 weeks 🙁🙁

I would not recommend for you to apply to any UKCAT heavy universities. Some of those being: King's, Newcastle and Durham. If I were in your situation I would sit the BMAT which will let you to apply to Brighton and Sussex, Leeds, Lancaster, UCL, Imperial and Oxbridge. So maybe if you had 2 BMAT unis and 2 UKCAT unis that might be a solid strategy. Depends on your other grades as well of course
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 123chem
Is 2010 on medify 1 and 2080 on medify 2 decent? Like, could i hope to do better on real one? its tomorrow so need urgent feedback :smile:

That is very decent
I remember in my mocks I was getting lowish scores in VR and AR can't remember exactly but it was around 2750 total (687.5 average) and a high Band 2. In the real thing I got a 700 average Band 2. I was really nervous about the UKCAT just like most people, but I found if I kept a cool head I made better decisions on which questions to flag and which questions to leave behind for the end. A few nerves is ok but if you're all over the place that won't help - same principle applies for interviews especially MMIs.

I would say the AR is the exam is slightly harder than the Medify questions but don't that phase you. Stick to a system you know and if that doesn't work flag it then move on!

Thank you so much!! :smile: Do you think that AR is as hard as the 1000 questions book?
It's just practice and making sure you stick to the timing for each question. If you've not answered it within the time you allot yourself per question, then move on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending