The Student Room Group

Clearing 2016 - How to make it work for you :)

Found yourself in Clearing? Not sure where to turn? Check out TSR's Clearing Hub here for the detail of how Clearing works. This FAQ deals with some common queries people have about Clearing.

Surely it'll only be rubbish courses in Clearing?
Not so you’d be surprised what can come up, especially in Science subjects, and languages. The secret of success in Clearing is to be organised and to take a flexible approach. Many people with high grades find themselves in Clearing, and universities are especially interested in attracting those applicants, sometimes at the expense of people who missed their offers for competitive courses. The changes to the way that university places are funded mean that universities are able to transfer places from one course to another, so it may choose to recruit more students in a popular subject it does well rather than continue to struggle to recruit people for a less popular course.

When do I get my Clearing Number, and why do I need it?
Your Clearing number will show up on your Track as soon as you are eligible. This will be as soon as you are in the position where you have an ‘active’ application but are holding no offers. People who applied after 30th June, or who applied before then but did not get any offers/declined those they had, will have Clearing Numbers already. People who missed their offers will get their Clearing Number once the final ‘unsuccessful’ decision reaches UCAS. You can approach universities informally without a Clearing Number, but they won't be able to confirm anything until you do have a number, since they will be unable to view your application. There is the risk that the vacancy that was available at 11am has gone by 2pm, so if you are thinking of ditching a confirmed place to try your luck in Clearing you'll need to make sure the Clearing uni will hold the place for you and that you know exactly how long you have to get your Clearing Number.

When do I enter a Clearing Choice on Track?
You will not be able to enter a Clearing choice until 3pm on Results Day, when full functionality on Track is restored, so don't worry. The unis will know this and won't be expecting miracles! If a uni has made you a Clearing offer at midday, you won't lose it because you haven't entered the choice on Track at 12.05 :smile:

You can only enter one Clearing choice at a time, and it is important that you do not do this until a university confirms that you should do so, effectively making you an offer. If you didn't discuss your application with the university beforehand, you will get a rejection, and not necessarily quickly. If a decision is outstanding, you won't be able to enter a new choice, so if you have entered one 'by mistake' you will need to get the university to reject you ASAP. You can continue to add Clearing Choices, one at a time, until you are successful.

Can I talk to more than one university at a time?
Yes, and indeed you should. Keep notes of all your conversations with uni staff (when, who, what they said, what you said, who is going to do what next and by when). You can't make a clearing choice on Track until the evening of Results Day, so you have plenty of time to ring several different universities and you can be given multiple verbal offers, although you can ultimately only add one of them as your Clearing choice on Track.

Is it worth ‘cold-calling’?
Every year there are reports of people getting places through Clearing at universities that claim not to participate in it and don't appear in the list of vacancies. If you are really determined to give it a try and don’t mind a brisk and possibly not very polite response, no reason why you shouldn’t. Just don’t hold out too much hope, that’s all.

Will universities reduce their entry requirements in Clearing?
It's important to be realistic about entry requirements: universities may reduce them for Clearing applicants, but as often as not they won't. Offering BBB against a stated requirement of ABB is unlikely to succeed, even if you have something else to offer that is unusual. Universities will often give an indication of the entry requirements on their Clearing pages, but if not you can assume that the grade requirements are the same as stated in their online prospectus. If you don't meet the stated entry requirements you may have a better chance of success if there are still places to be filled after a few days.

What should I think about when choosing between Clearing Offers?
This article is worth a read :smile:

What happens when a uni makes me a Clearing offer?
Usually the university admissions tutor will tell you over the phone if they would like you to enter them as a Clearing choice. They should confirm their offer by email, so if this isn't mentioned during your conversation ask them to do so. The uni will normally set a time-scale for you to have entered your Clearing choice on Track. It is essential that you meet any deadline you have been set if you want to take up the offer. Keep all emails and take screen shots if appropriate. Once you have entered your Clearing choice, the university will send through a decision and your place will be confirmed on Track, although not necessarily immediately! If no decision is showing within 24 hours (excluding weekends) contact the uni and ask what's happening. If the university appears to be messing you about, contact UCAS and ask for advice.

Can a University reject me after I've entered a Clearing Choice on Track?
They can, although if the uni confirmed their interest in offering you a place verbally or by email and you have met any deadlines they set they certainly shouldn't. Contact UCAS for advice in this situation.

Will I have time to visit the universities before making up my mind?
You should ask any universities who show an interest in your application what arrangements there are for Clearing applicants who want to visit before making up their minds. As time-scales have become increasingly tight over the years you may unfortunately not have the opportunity to visit before making your decision, though it's important to visit if you can so that you can get a good feel for the place - after all you may be spending the next 3 years there!

What if there’s nothing that appeals to me?
It is not the end of the world if you don't find something suitable; much better an unexpected gap year than making the wrong choice and dropping out by Christmas! When you don’t enter a Clearing choice on your Track, your application for this year will lapse, leaving you free to re-apply next year with a full range of unis to choose from. If there are still unis waiting to hear from you, it would be courteous (and a kindness to other applicants who may want the place you don’t) to let them know by email as soon as possible that you aren't taking up their offer/are no longer interested.

I accepted a Clearing offer but I’ve changed my mind
Strictly speaking, once your clearing choice has been accepted on Track your only option is to withdraw from UCAS altogether for this year. It would be courteous to let the university know that you have done so as soon as possible so they can give the place to someone else. Once you've accepted an offer through Clearing, you are not supposed to change your mind and apply elsewhere. However, it has been known for people to be able to persuade their Clearing choice to release them so that another Clearing choice can be entered on Track.

I applied for a place in Clearing but they turned me down: I'm sure it's because I have a disability as they asked me about it
Courtesy of wdywuk: "Every university has to ask the question and while we try to remember to ask it AFTER we have made an offer occasionally we get it wrong and ask it before we say yes or no. Applicants then wonder whether it was declaring a disability that caused them to be turned out. Rest assured that will NOT have been the reason for being turned down. It's just like you having the opportunity on your original UCAS form to declare a disability so that the relevant support could be put in place for the start of your studies. Advisors with access to web-link can see your original application form, but most of the staff on clearing won't be able to, so its important that they ask the question and start the ball rolling with organising the support. Again no matter what you say, it will not affect the decision!"
Reply 1
Hi, if I don't get into my firm choice but get into my insurance but I have a second thought about going to my insurance can I ring up universities for clearing and get a verbal offer and if a uni I like makes one that I want to except can I get out of my insurance choice to go to this verbal offer?
Original post by Dom609
Hi, if I don't get into my firm choice but get into my insurance but I have a second thought about going to my insurance can I ring up universities for clearing and get a verbal offer and if a uni I like makes one that I want to except can I get out of my insurance choice to go to this verbal offer?

Most unis won't talk to you without a clearing number, so you should be released into clearing by your insurance first.
If you meet the conditions of your firm offer but you see a course you like more in clearing is it possible to ring up and ask for an offer? Then how quickly can I be placed into clearing and accept my offer?

If not how quickly can I be placed into clearing to enquire about the course?
Original post by AspiringBanker
If you meet the conditions of your firm offer but you see a course you like more in clearing is it possible to ring up and ask for an offer? Then how quickly can I be placed into clearing and accept my offer?

If not how quickly can I be placed into clearing to enquire about the course?

Depends on the university, they aren't supposed to give you an offer without a clearing number so you should asked to be released before hand(this could take hours up to a couple of days), if you exceed your firm offer you can use adjustment though which means no risk attached.
Original post by claireestelle
Depends on the university, they aren't supposed to give you an offer without a clearing number so you should asked to be released before hand(this could take hours up to a couple of days), if you exceed your firm offer you can use adjustment though which means no risk attached.

Couple of days?!? So I cant immediately be placed into clearing? Can I ask the university to guarantee me a space?

Is it at all possible to ask my firm university if I meet the conditions of my offer to instead place me into clearing and give me a clearing offer?
Couple of days?!? So I cant immediately be placed into clearing? Can I ask the university to guarantee me a space?

Is it at all possible to ask my firm university if I meet the conditions of my offer to instead place me into clearing and give me a clearing offer?

So to clarify do you want to try for a different course at your firm university? If so you dont need to go through clearing just phone admissions and ask for a swap :smile:
So to clarify do you want to try for a different course at your firm university? If so you dont need to go through clearing just phone admissions and ask for a swap :smile:

No no, I want try for a different course at another University! So can I ask my firm to release me into clearing and offer me a clearing offer for the same course as I've currently got so I can try for the other course at another Uni.
No no, I want try for a different course at another University! So can I ask my firm to release me into clearing and offer me a clearing offer for the same course as I've currently got so I can try for the other course at another Uni.

So you want to ask your firm university to give you a clearing offer for a different course whilst trying for a course at another university, as a way of trying to eliminate your risk in his situation? That might not work as clearing offers will have deadlines on them by trying to get them before you have your clearing number, the deadlines they give you may run out before you can add them to track, if that makes sense?
So you want to ask your firm university to give you a clearing offer for a different course whilst trying for a course at another university, as a way of trying to eliminate your risk in his situation? That might not work as clearing offers will have deadlines on them by trying to get them before you have your clearing number, the deadlines they give you may run out before you can add them to track, if that makes sense?

I wanted a clearing offer for my current course, so I could talk to other Universities whilst holding my offer. If my current course is in clearing for the grades I have can I ask to be released into clearing but at the same time ask for a clearing offer? For the same course!
I wanted a clearing offer for my current course, so I could talk to other Universities whilst holding my offer. If my current course is in clearing for the grades I have can I ask to be released into clearing but at the same time ask for a clearing offer? For the same course!

Hmm, i dont think that a university would have that request often at all, they may say no as you wont look commited at all but i suppose you can ask. But without a number, like i said you might not get an offer.
Original post by Dom609

Hi there,

So you do need to be released from your insurance in order to apply to other universities.
In the meantime you can actually ring other universities to discuss potential offers.

If you would like to speak to a member of our clearing team for some advice or to look at the courses we have available then you can ring us on 03330 432 414 or you can chat to us instantly online using our live chat system.

Good luck! I hope you end up at university and a course that you love!

Jack
University of Gloucestershire
Hey everyone,If you didn't get the results you were hoping for don't panic! You can call our clearing hotline on 01634 888483 to discuss your options of studying the Masters of Pharmacy or Bsc. Physiology and Pharmacology. We are a top 10 ranked university for Pharmacy and Pharmacology - you've got nothing to lose - give us a call!or visit http://www.msp.ac.uk/studying/clearing/Or call or text our student advisors on 07934680059 if you have any questions about the university, the courses or uni life!We look forward to hearing from you!Becka,MSop
I have a question. I basically got rejected from uni to do Diagnostic Radiography. I applied through clearing to Coventry University to do Biomedical Science. However I can reapply to BCU next year to do Diagnostic Radiography but I have to do an access course in science at a college for a year and get 60 points and what not in order to reapply. I just want to know which is better to do, I mean I was really really keen in doing Radiography, i've done a placement and everything but just didnt get accepted. The main reason why i dont wanna wait till next year to reapply is bc I have to do another year at college and thats like a waste somehow, whereas if I was to do Bio Med I would be going uni this september. Someone please help and give me advice please x
Original post by lnbourgeois
I have a question. I basically got rejected from uni to do Diagnostic Radiography. I applied through clearing to Coventry University to do Biomedical Science. However I can reapply to BCU next year to do Diagnostic Radiography but I have to do an access course in science at a college for a year and get 60 points and what not in order to reapply. I just want to know which is better to do, I mean I was really really keen in doing Radiography, i've done a placement and everything but just didnt get accepted. The main reason why i dont wanna wait till next year to reapply is bc I have to do another year at college and thats like a waste somehow, whereas if I was to do Bio Med I would be going uni this september. Someone please help and give me advice please x

Is the access course full time? And what are the financial ramifications?

If it is less expensive than a year at uni (i'm guessing it is) and you really want to do Diagnostic Radiography, there is no reason to treat this year as a waste. You could save up working a full-time job and gain more work experience before you go to uni. You may well end up being ahead of everyone else starting! If you went ahead and did Biomed and you're not sure about it, you may end up wasting three years studying something you don't want to work in. However, if that was something you were interested in biomed can be incredibly interesting and broad. I studied biosciences myself and loved it.

Try to think about your long-term goal rather than just the 'right now'.
Original post by CardiffKate
Is the access course full time? And what are the financial ramifications?

If it is less expensive than a year at uni (i'm guessing it is) and you really want to do Diagnostic Radiography, there is no reason to treat this year as a waste. You could save up working a full-time job and gain more work experience before you go to uni. You may well end up being ahead of everyone else starting! If you went ahead and did Biomed and you're not sure about it, you may end up wasting three years studying something you don't want to work in. However, if that was something you were interested in biomed can be incredibly interesting and broad. I studied biosciences myself and loved it.

Try to think about your long-term goal rather than just the 'right now'.

The access course is part time and I may have to pay £3,500, im not so sure yet. But if i was just generally asking is biomed better than diagnostic radiography? With biomed im interested in becoming a forensic scientist however I was really looking forward to Diagnostic Radiography. With the access course in science, its a mix of bio chem and physics. I have to do the interview again, the DBS application again, find a clinical placement again which took 6 months.
Original post by lnbourgeois
The access course is part time and I may have to pay £3,500, im not so sure yet. But if i was just generally asking is biomed better than diagnostic radiography? With biomed im interested in becoming a forensic scientist however I was really looking forward to Diagnostic Radiography. With the access course in science, its a mix of bio chem and physics. I have to do the interview again, the DBS application again, find a clinical placement again which took 6 months.

Both are very interesting careers. What do you value most, job satisfaction/pay grade/enjoyment of your subject/career stability? It sounds like you have a lot of information enabling you to make you choice. Both are fantastic options and neither one is necessary 'better' than the other. It's down to what you want to do and whether you are willing to put in all of that work again.

Remember you could always accept the Biomed place and the withdraw before term starts to give you some extra thinking time.
Original post by CardiffKate
Both are very interesting careers. What do you value most, job satisfaction/pay grade/enjoyment of your subject/career stability? It sounds like you have a lot of information enabling you to make you choice. Both are fantastic options and neither one is necessary 'better' than the other. It's down to what you want to do and whether you are willing to put in all of that work again.

Remember you could always accept the Biomed place and the withdraw before term starts to give you some extra thinking time.

I'm more concerned in doing a course that is interesting, I think I will do the access course bc coventry is far from where i live, also I am really keen in doing DR and I much rather enjoy that, thank you for your help
Reply 18
Hi. My IB results were worse than expected and didn't meet the conditions/requirements of both of my firm and insurance unis. Right now, I am still waiting for my Clearing Number to appear in my track. There's still hasn't been any update of stating whether i was unsuccessful or been declined. Should I still wait or ring up the unis personally?
Reply 19
Original post by Nilia
Hi. My IB results were worse than expected and didn't meet the conditions/requirements of both of my firm and insurance unis. Right now, I am still waiting for my Clearing Number to appear in my track. There's still hasn't been any update of stating whether i was unsuccessful or been declined. Should I still wait or ring up the unis personally?
i hope you are sorted out now - sorry you didn't get an answer to your post sooner. Quote me in if you need any help still.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending