The Student Room Group

Redo year or new Uni?

Basically i have just finished my first year at Uni, because i didnt do so well in my A levels last year i was trying to redo some a levels at the same time (work and exams) but i kind of bit of more than i can chew and i didnt do so well in either. I either have the choice now of redoing my first year at the uni im currently at (which i didnt want to go to initially due to poor a level grades).

Or choosing a Uni in clearing...right now the only one i can see so far which is applicable to me is the Uni of Bedfordshire...which includes a foundation year. Im not sure if i could even do this as i have already spent one year at uni.

Or should i just redo the year and try to transfer to a better uni for my second year? im not sure how transferring works or if i would get into a good uni after transferring...would my a levels still matter in transferring?

Sorry if this is all over the place...thanks.
Original post by cygne
Basically i have just finished my first year at Uni, because i didnt do so well in my A levels last year i was trying to redo some a levels at the same time (work and exams) but i kind of bit of more than i can chew and i didnt do so well in either. I either have the choice now of redoing my first year at the uni im currently at (which i didnt want to go to initially due to poor a level grades).

Or choosing a Uni in clearing...right now the only one i can see so far which is applicable to me is the Uni of Bedfordshire...which includes a foundation year. Im not sure if i could even do this as i have already spent one year at uni.

Or should i just redo the year and try to transfer to a better uni for my second year? im not sure how transferring works or if i would get into a good uni after transferring...would my a levels still matter in transferring?

Hi cygne :wavey:

What course are you looking to study and what are your A Level results?

Carole
Original post by cygne

It seems to me you need to think clearly about what it is you want. Are you happy on your current course? Do you think you would be better off redoing A Levels and applying elsewhere?

The overall theme however, is you shouldn't attempt A Level retakes at the same time as a uni degree as quite frankly, it very rarely ends well given the workload (As you yourself experienced). I think sit down and decide what it is you want to do clearly, and then act accordingly, rather than attempting it all at once.
Reply 3
Original post by Heriot-Watt University
Hi cygne :wavey:

What course are you looking to study and what are your A Level results?

Carole

English Literature
I got D D U, Which is 120 UCAS points.
I know its not enough to get into many Unis at all.
Reply 4
Original post by MrDystopia
It seems to me you need to think clearly about what it is you want. Are you happy on your current course? Do you think you would be better off redoing A Levels and applying elsewhere?

The overall theme however, is you shouldn't attempt A Level retakes at the same time as a uni degree as quite frankly, it very rarely ends well given the workload (As you yourself experienced). I think sit down and decide what it is you want to do clearly, and then act accordingly, rather than attempting it all at once.

I liked studying English Literature.
I did actually want to redo Year 13 last year and asked my old sixth form about it, but they said no(on the basis that i hadnt done ''bad enough'' to ''need'' to redo the year. I thought about get private tuition but it was do expensive. I ended up being accepted at one Uni last year, so i decide to try to redo the A levels myself and reapply through UCAS...whilst doing my first Uni year.
Original post by cygne
English Literature

We don't offer English Literature so can't offer any help I'm afraid.

Good luck on your decision :smile:
Original post by cygne
I liked studying English Literature.
I did actually want to redo Year 13 last year and asked my old sixth form about it, but they said no(on the basis that i hadnt done ''bad enough'' to ''need'' to redo the year. I thought about get private tuition but it was do expensive. I ended up being accepted at one Uni last year, so i decide to try to redo the A levels myself and reapply through UCAS...whilst doing my first Uni year.

As you said, you're enjoying your course. Granted, not at a uni you liked but at least you're on the right course for you. It's at this point you would have to think if changing university is worth it, or taking up the offer to redo the year.
Reply 7
As you said, you're enjoying your course. Granted, not at a uni you liked but at least you're on the right course for you. It's at this point you would have to think if changing university is worth it, or taking up the offer to redo the year.

Would it be possible for me to redo the year and then transfer to another Uni for my second year? I dont know if i want to transfer to another uni through clearing, because of my poor grades that limits my Uni clearing options and i could end up starting at another Uni i dont like.
I dont really hate the uni im currently at, its just very close to where i live. I always wanted to go to another Uni father away, and also one which is viewed as slightly better.
Original post by cygne
Would it be possible for me to redo the year and then transfer to another Uni for my second year? I dont know if i want to transfer to another uni through clearing, because of my poor grades that limits my Uni clearing options and i could end up starting at another Uni i dont like.
I dont really hate the uni im currently at, its just very close to where i live. I always wanted to go to another Uni father away, and also one which is viewed as slightly better.

That would be something for you to discuss with both your current university and any university you would want to transfer to, it entirely depends on how accommodating they are to that happening.
Reply 9
That would be something for you to discuss with both your current university and any university you would want to transfer to, it entirely depends on how accommodating they are to that happening.

Ok thank you for your help
Do you think me transferring might be viewed as a problem by my current Uni then?
Original post by cygne
Ok thank you for your help
Do you think me transferring might be viewed as a problem by my current Uni then?

I wouldn't see why, whilst they may be unhappy that you're leaving they can't technically keep you studying somewhere if you're intent on leaving. But it's definitely something you would have to bring up with them.
Original post by cygne
English Literature

Hi!
We have spaces in our English Literature course :biggrin: http://www.kingston.ac.uk/undergraduate-course/english-literature/ and our clearing hotline number is
0800 0483 334 Good luck :smile:

Emily
Student ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending