The Student Room Group

Social Work as a second degree? First degree finished without honours.

I found it a little tricky to find any information about funding for second degrees and I've seen a lot of varied replies with some people saying they got funding and some saying you won't get funding if you have an honours degree already etc.

I finished a degree recently but due to personal circumstances I didn't pass my dissertation. I'm incredibly disappointed with myself because up until then I never failed a single module and now I have finished with an ordinary degree with no classification, looking online I've seen some say it's basically worse than getting a third. So I have no honours and can't do postgraduate study because I need that to get onto any post grad course.

I just wanted to know if I were to begin a new degree would I get funding? I was funded for three years on my previous course and I've seen some say you only get a total of four years but I don't know if that's per application.

If that's impossible is there any way you can top-up an ordinary degree to an honours degree?

I know my questions might seem a little silly but I'm out of options and I don't have £27,000 at hand to study again.

I just see a lot of people saying ordinary degrees are not worth much and I don't know what to do.

Thanks in advance,
Original post by Zahara77
I found it a little tricky to find any information about funding for second degrees and I've seen a lot of varied replies with some people saying they got funding and some saying you won't get funding if you have an honours degree already etc.

I finished a degree recently but due to personal circumstances I didn't pass my dissertation. I'm incredibly disappointed with myself because up until then I never failed a single module and now I have finished with an ordinary degree with no classification, looking online I've seen some say it's basically worse than getting a third. So I have no honours and can't do postgraduate study because I need that to get onto any post grad course.

I just wanted to know if I were to begin a new degree would I get funding? I was funded for three years on my previous course and I've seen some say you only get a total of four years but I don't know if that's per application.

If that's impossible is there any way you can top-up an ordinary degree to an honours degree?

I know my questions might seem a little silly but I'm out of options and I don't have £27,000 at hand to study again.

I just see a lot of people saying ordinary degrees are not worth much and I don't know what to do.

Thanks in advance,

Hi,

A student studying social work as a second degree may be means tested and awarded maintenance loan but will NOT receive tuition fee support or maintenance grants although they may also apply for supplementary grants. (ADG, PLA, DSA and CCG only).

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending