The Student Room Group

MEDICINE - *RESULTS DAY 2016* - Help, I missed my medical school offer!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sunnybacon
I see what you mean. Unfortunately not, he just missed the A in maths by 3 marks, so you're right, he would have to drop his biomed offer at King's to apply for St George's medicine through clearing, and so he can't enter adjustment because he didn't meet his firm choice offer which was King's Med (AAA). Apart from the B, he's a strong applicant, UKCAT of 742.5, brilliant GCSE grades etc, but they won't give any guarantee of a place.

Nope, they said he'd be likely to be called for an interview but can't guarantee a place. It would be good if he could hang on to his King's biomed offer as a backup while he goes through the interview process, but it doesn't look like that'll be the case, and he doesn't want to risk it. Sounds like he's going to study biomed at King's and then consider his options later down the line.

The other option is getting a remark since it was only 3 marks off, but just spoke to King's and whilst one person said if it goes up to an A you'll get your place (perhaps the following year if it's oversubscribed), the other person we spoke to said the opposite - even if the remark pushes it up to an A, he'll have to re-apply as a new student, which seems ridiculous!

Wow I hope you noted down who you spoke to at kings, that is very bad of them to give you two different answers as that could have misled candidates. Try the remark anyway as its always worth a shot!
Original post by Beska
Ah yes fair enough - it is reasonable that they can't guarantee him a slot if it's going to be after interview. I understand the dilemma your brother must have had. Let us know if you need any more help. :smile:

Thank you :smile:

Also asked King's about if his place for biomed could be "held" for him if he dropped it and subsequently got rejected from SGUL med clearing. They said no, but was worth a try!

The whole thing about getting a remark done and if the grade goes up still having to reapply as a new student just sounds utterly bizarre to me - surely if it's remarked up to an A, it's because there was an error on the judgement of the first marker and an A was deserved in the first place. Does what they've said about having to reapply despite getting the third A sound right to you? :/
The other option is getting a remark since it was only 3 marks off, but just spoke to King's and whilst one person said if it goes up to an A you'll get your place (perhaps the following year if it's oversubscribed), the other person we spoke to said the opposite - even if the remark pushes it up to an A, he'll have to re-apply as a new student, which seems ridiculous!

Could try the remark and see what happens. If it did go up to AAA (and Kings wouldn't accept him) it would also give him more options if he wanted to try and apply for medicine next year instead of doing biomed as he wouldn't be a resit applicant.
Reply 23
(edited 4 years ago)

Also asked King's about if his place for biomed could be "held" for him if he dropped it and subsequently got rejected from SGUL med clearing. They said no, but was worth a try!

The whole thing about getting a remark done and if the grade goes up still having to reapply as a new student just sounds utterly bizarre to me - surely if it's remarked up to an A, it's because there was an error on the judgement of the first marker and an A was deserved in the first place. Does what they've said about having to reapply despite getting the third A sound right to you? :/

If it gets remarked and moved up to an A (remember this may not happen, especially now remarks have changed for this year so be prepared) your brother will have AAA and in my opinion after being an offer holder for medicine at kings the error in his marking should see him accepted even if the entry is defferred due to lack of places.
Original post by Natalierm2707
Wow I hope you noted down who you spoke to at kings, that is very bad of them to give you two different answers as that could have misled candidates. Try the remark anyway as its always worth a shot!

Original post by randdom
Could try the remark and see what happens. If it did go up to AAA (and Kings wouldn't accept him) it would also give him more options if he wanted to try and apply for medicine next year instead of doing biomed as he wouldn't be a resit applicant.

Thanks guys, yeah it was a bit misleading! The first person we spoke to suggested to send a message through the King's Applicants Portal informing them that he'll be getting a remark, so he's done that and just gone back to his school to fill in the remark paperwork now. No harm in getting it done at this stage.

Right now he's leaning more towards going for Biomed, and then applying for 4-year/5-year medicine once that's done.
Reply 26

There has been a large change in emphasis for re-marks from this summer. Grades will only be changed if there is a real error by the original marker. This is not just a slightly different interpretation as what has been seen previously. There will be few or no scripts that will move up a a couple of marks (like they previously used to), it'll either be a MASSIVE change or no change.

It is best to talk it over with an exams officer if you are considering a remark. Might as well?

If somebody misses their offer, has a remark and the grade goes up, there's no obligation that the university then take them. It isn't really fair (in my opinion) but it's the way it currently works.
Original post by Beska
There has been a large change in emphasis for re-marks from this summer. Grades will only be changed if there is a real error by the original marker. This is not just a slightly different interpretation as what has been seen previously. There will be few or no scripts that will move up a a couple of marks (like they previously used to), it'll either be a MASSIVE change or no change.

It is best to talk it over with an exams officer if you are considering a remark. Might as well?

If somebody misses their offer, has a remark and the grade goes up, there's no obligation that the university then take them. It isn't really fair (in my opinion) but it's the way it currently works.

Yup, fair enough - it's a very small chance that a real error has been made by the examiner, but since it was 3 UMS off the A, no harm in trying I suppose. :smile:

I agree with you, it isn't fair at all! The error would've been on the part of the exam board, not the applicant, and that'll cost them the place at university. What a strange system :/
Reply 28
I've got an a* in chemistry, an a in maths and a b in biology. I had an offer from st george's, but they are reviewing it now because of my b in biology. Has anyone else had their offers reviewed before, and if so, how likely is it that I'll get a place?
Reply 29
Original post by sivass
I've got an a* in chemistry, an a in maths and a b in biology. I had an offer from st george's, but they are reviewing it now because of my b in biology. Has anyone else had their offers reviewed before, and if so, how likely is it that I'll get a place?

You are in a good position - don't lose hope. SGUL are in Clearing this year and there are others who have been accepted despite a B grade - although I'm not sure if this was in biology. Just keep calling and/or chasing them.
Reply 30
Original post by Beska
You are in a good position - don't lose hope. SGUL are in Clearing this year and there are others who have been accepted despite a B grade - although I'm not sure if this was in biology. Just keep calling and/or chasing them.

I've spoken to them three times since 8 this morning, and they said that they can't tell me anything until after they have decided on whether or not they are going to give me a place. It's just a bit difficult as they haven't given me a time limit, and if I want to look and accept another place I have to give up theirs, whilst they are still deciding. I really don't know what to do :frown:
Original post by sivass

I've spoken to them three times since 8 this morning, and they said that they can't tell me anything until after they have decided on whether or not they are going to give me a place. It's just a bit difficult as they haven't given me a time limit, and if I want to look and accept another place I have to give up theirs, whilst they are still deciding. I really don't know what to do :frown:

You're not going to get another offer for medicine realistically. So if this is really what you want just hang on. I think you're in with a good chance as @Beska said they're accepting missed grades and are in clearing.
Reply 32
Original post by sivass

Don't rush to reject a potential medicine spot you've worked hard for and is still realistic to try and chase another non-medicine degree. You will regret it!
Reply 33
Yup, fair enough - it's a very small chance that a real error has been made by the examiner, but since it was 3 UMS off the A, no harm in trying I suppose. :smile:

I agree with you, it isn't fair at all! The error would've been on the part of the exam board, not the applicant, and that'll cost them the place at university. What a strange system :/

Argh that's awful! For 3 marks! Exceeded on two grades but dropped on one. Seems so unfair :frown:

Definitely get the remark. Worth doing just so its not something that will be in the back of his mind in future. In the event that the grade bumps up to A, even if the uni won't take him anymore, tell him to ditch his insurance bio offer and take the gap year and re-apply for next year.

Unfortunately, if the B stays, then grad medicine seems like the only option.
Original post by TaraHunter
I was predicted A*AA and was offered a place for medicine by Hull York Medical School. I did awful in few exams and it really brought my overall grade down so I got: Biology- A* Maths-C Chemistry- B. I'm really stuck on what to do now and am in shock because I had no idea what I should do and I didn't expect my results to be so awful- I worked so hard for medicine. Am I forced to give up on my dreams of studying medicine?

Hi Tara, I'm really sorry you didn't get the results you wanted, but they are still results you should be proud of!

Have you ever considered applying to pharmacy? We have several students who have qualified as pharmacists and are now studying medicine, so don't give up on your dreams just yet! A pharmacy degree can offer you a heavily science based degree and combines it with healthcare and professionalism. I'm one of the student advisers here at Medway but I'm also a clinical pharmacist working at a large London Hospital. I have friends who are now studying medicine via a pharmacy degree so if you like you can give me a call between 9-5 on 07934680059 if you would like any more information and advice.I understand how you're feeling right now and I really hope everything works out for you.

Hannah
Reply 35
Original post by parawitch
Got AAB with one UMS off an A in chemistry but, with the recent remark news, is my grade unlikely to go up? I don't know whether to start revising for the UKCAT or not.
Also, I got one UMS off an A* in biology- full marks in my second paper but a C in my coursework. Is there anything that can be done about the coursework eg. retakes, or is it worth getting my first biology paper remarked (which I thought I flopped on and don't want to risk my grade going down).
Pretty confused so needing a little advice, thanks

Answered here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4261110 :smile:
Reply 36
Original post by Medway School of Pharmacy
Hi Tara, I'm really sorry you didn't get the results you wanted, but they are still results you should be proud of!

Have you ever considered applying to pharmacy? We have several students who have qualified as pharmacists and are now studying medicine, so don't give up on your dreams just yet! A pharmacy degree can offer you a heavily science based degree and combines it with healthcare and professionalism. I'm one of the student advisers here at Medway but I'm also a clinical pharmacist working at a large London Hospital. I have friends who are now studying medicine via a pharmacy degree so if you like you can give me a call between 9-5 on 07934680059 if you would like any more information and advice.I understand how you're feeling right now and I really hope everything works out for you.

Hannah

Speaking as a fully qualified pharmacist who originally had offers for medicine as an undergraduate and did the MPharm whilst wanting to be a medical student, I would absolutely NOT recommend this route.

If you want to do GEM, do biomed or a related degree not pharmacy. The MPharm is a very difficult and demanding degree and the General Pharmaceutical Council's (pharmacy version of GMC) Registration Assessment is no mean feat in itself. Pharmacy should not be seen as a back up to get into medicine because the candidate has failed to get their grades. It is incredibly longwinded and to stand a shot a GEM you need a 2.1, which can be difficult to get on the MPharm if your heart is not in it. *
Reply 37
Original post by TaraHunter
I was predicted A*AA and was offered a place for medicine by Hull York Medical School. I did awful in few exams and it really brought my overall grade down so I got: Biology- A* Maths-C Chemistry- B. I'm really stuck on what to do now and am in shock because I had no idea what I should do and I didn't expect my results to be so awful- I worked so hard for medicine. Am I forced to give up on my dreams of studying medicine?

That sucks! One of my friends in my year at HYMS got in with those grades last year. They've gotten more strict :/
You do not have to give up if you don't want to! You can try for a biomed degree or something, and try for post grad.
If you aren't sure, take a gap year! There are students at HYMS who start in their mid twenties, so you have plenty of time to decide what you want to do :smile:
Hi, so I got ABB (Bs in chemistry and maths). The chemistry was overall two points away from an A and has been sent off for a priority remark. I originally had a place at KCL to study medicine but lost my place and my backup uni Barts also say they cannot accept me. I have called SGUL for a place at biomedicine and they have confirmed that they can offer me a place via phone but have not sent me a confirmation email (despite me repeated hassling since early afternoon). i have called Qmul up too for biomed but they said that they could only put me onto the waiting list and would call me if I got a place tomorrow. ...Not sure what to do.... I think i prefer Qmul as a uni (and its russel group unlike SGUL) but I'm not sure what to do. Was talking to some teachers and some suggested nursing and gap year is completely out of the question right? PLEASE GIVE ME ADVICE :frown:
Reply 39
Original post by Milkbottle64
Hi, so I got ABB (Bs in chemistry and maths). The chemistry was overall two points away from an A and has been sent off for a priority remark. I originally had a place at KCL to study medicine but lost my place and my backup uni Barts also say they cannot accept me. I have called SGUL for a place at biomedicine and they have confirmed that they can offer me a place via phone but have not sent me a confirmation email (despite me repeated hassling since early afternoon). i have called Qmul up too for biomed but they said that they could only put me onto the waiting list and would call me if I got a place tomorrow. ...Not sure what to do.... I think i prefer Qmul as a uni (and its russel group unlike SGUL) but I'm not sure what to do. Was talking to some teachers and some suggested nursing and gap year is completely out of the question right? PLEASE GIVE ME ADVICE :frown:

You can have a gap year if that's what you wish. However, unfortunately, without AAA achieved grades, you wouldn't be eligible to apply for medicine following the gap year. Your only option is to apply for medicine as a graduate after you've completed a degree.

Sorry that your grades weren't what you wanted, but it's not the end of the road. If medicine is still what you want to do, you can do it as a graduate after your biomed degree.

Quick Reply

Latest