The Student Room Group

Student finance maintenance grant

Hi, I want to know why I wasn't accepted for the maintenance grant and if I can still get it? I definitely applied and I'm certain I'm eligible for it.
Original post by Naomitoni
Hi, I want to know why I wasn't accepted for the maintenance grant and if I can still get it? I definitely applied and I'm certain I'm eligible for it.

Are you a third/fourth year student? Grants stopped in 2012 for new students.

Hi,There could be a number of reasons you have not been awarded a maintenance grant. Maintenance grants are only available to continuing students in 16/17, which means if you are starting your course in 16/17 then you will not be eligible. If you are a continuing student and believe the maintenance grant should have been awarded, then please call our team on 0300 100 0607, and they will take a look into your application.Thanks
Reply 3
Original post by claireestelle
Are you a third/fourth year student? Grants stopped in 2012 for new students.

That's what I thought but my friend is a first year and she's got it which is why I'm confused! I'm a first year technically but I've already done a year, last year at a different uni :smile:
That's what I thought but my friend is a first year and she's got it which is why I'm confused! I'm a first year technically but I've already done a year, last year at a different uni :smile:

Is your friend an English student? They don't exist for students funded purely by SFE.
Reply 5
Original post by Tiger Rag
Is your friend an English student? They don't exist for students funded purely by SFE.

Yeah she's English
Yeah she's English

Are you sure she got a grant? There are grants / bursaries currently for NHS funded students. But everything is a loan for students funded just by SFE.
Yeah she's English

Hi,

If your new university is classing you as a new student (you have withdrawn from your previous course), you will not be eligible for a maintenance grant, as they are no longer available in 2016. If you are transferring course, you will be eligible to apply for a maintenance grant as you will retain your original cohort.

Thanks
Reply 8
Original post by Morven SFE
Hi,

If your new university is classing you as a new student (you have withdrawn from your previous course), you will not be eligible for a maintenance grant, as they are no longer available in 2016. If you are transferring course, you will be eligible to apply for a maintenance grant as you will retain your original cohort.

Thanks

Another question I have is, is there a reason my maintenance loan has gone down by about £400 since last year when my household income hasn't changed?
Another question I have is, is there a reason my maintenance loan has gone down by about £400 since last year when my household income hasn't changed?

Hi

If you give our team a call on 0300 100 0607, they can take a look into your application to find out why your loan has decreased.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending