The Student Room Group

Bad AS Results [PLEASE HELP]

D in my sociology and D in english lit & lang U in psychology, my plan was to take all 3 next year and i wanted to study psychology at Uni and this has just ruined everything, i really cannot afford to re sit a year, what are my options :frown:
Original post by BXWXN
D in my sociology and D in english lit & lang U in psychology, my plan was to take all 3 next year and i wanted to study psychology at Uni and this has just ruined everything, i really cannot afford to re sit a year, what are my options :frown:

Similar to me, I'm considering an apprenticeship. I can't retake, I just can't. Hopefully I'll be allowed to continue into A2 but I doubt it. I got a D in English Language and Literature. E in Sociology and a unwanted U in Philosophy and Ethics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BXWXN

Why can't you resit this year? :frown:
Reply 3
Original post by GradesUnlocked
Similar to me, I'm considering an apprenticeship. I can't retake, I just can't. Hopefully I'll be allowed to continue into A2 but I doubt it. I got a D in English Language and Literature. E in Sociology and a unwanted U in Philosophy and Ethics.

Posted from TSR Mobile

what sort of apprenticeship are you looking into?
Reply 4
Original post by Slowbro93
Why can't you resit this year? :frown:

cant physically put myself thought that
I am going to redo the year because I know that the grades I got doesn't reflect me and I had a **** year. I'm just so disappointed but I'm not stopping. Don't give up, repeating the year isn't the end of the world. At least it's not A2
Original post by BXWXN

You may be okay depending on whether the new courses you're doing are on the old (modular) or new (linear-type) system; if your courses are on the new system, your college may let you continue A2 as the A2 exam will test your knowledge of both years.

If you really want to study Psychology at university though, you'll have to stick with college!

Hope it all gets sorted :smile:
Original post by BXWXN

Have you spoken to your tutors to look at what your options can be?
Original post by BXWXN

Do you know why you got those results? I mean, did you find those subjects incredibly difficult from start to finish? Did you not revise like you should've etc?

Only you really know why got those results right? So you need to consider what you could of done to have changed it.

I mean these are AS results remember, so they have no forbearing on your actual A-level results since you don't carry your AS marks forward.

I would speak to your teachers and work closely with them in order to see where you went wrong and how you can improve.

I don't think you should resit. I think you should carry on. The U is really unfortunate. I only got a U in an AS exam because I didn't revise. And once I revised the following year, I got a B. You can only get a U if you answered the wrong question, failed to engage with the question or just didn't answer it. I would definitely ask your Psych teachers to recall your paper and go through it with you.

Best of look hon!
Reply 9
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
Do you know why you got those results? I mean, did you find those subjects incredibly difficult from start to finish? Did you not revise like you should've etc?

Only you really know why got those results right? So you need to consider what you could of done to have changed it.

I mean these are AS results remember, so they have no forbearing on your actual A-level results since you don't carry your AS marks forward.

I would speak to your teachers and work closely with them in order to see where you went wrong and how you can improve.

I don't think you should resit. I think you should carry on. The U is really unfortunate. I only got a U in an AS exam because I didn't revise. And once I revised the following year, I got a B. You can only get a U if you answered the wrong question, failed to engage with the question or just didn't answer it. I would definitely ask your Psych teachers to recall your paper and go through it with you.

Best of look hon!

i understand where i went wrong however i don't feel my school will accept me taking psychology with a U no matter what however i will look through the pope as you suggested with my teacher, maybe if i show her the effort and commitment are there she will be more lenient
Original post by BXWXN
i understand where i went wrong however i don't feel my school will accept me taking psychology with a U no matter what however i will look through the pope as you suggested with my teacher, maybe if i show her the effort and commitment are there she will be more lenient

Was it because you never revised? If so, that will put you in a bad light if you want to get them on your side.

Make sure you have 2nd option in case they won't allow you to continue with that subject.

Good luck!
Update.

I know what I might do IF I'm not able to continue to do A2.

I'm going to take on a BTEC alongside English Language and Literature. Really try my best to gather enough UCAS points needed to get into University.

A big IF.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by Slowbro93
Have you spoken to your tutors to look at what your options can be?

i have a meeting at 9am tomorrow with them
Reply 13
Original post by GradesUnlocked
Update.

I know what I might do IF I'm not able to continue to do A2.

I'm going to take on a BTEC alongside English Language and Literature. Really try my best to gather enough UCAS points needed to get into University.

A big IF.

Posted from TSR Mobile

what BTEC would you be able to take alongside that?
Original post by BXWXN

I feel you mine arent looking too great, i got Bin History, a C in Religious studies, i also got a D in english lit and then a U in chemistry, i want to do law i'm no too sure about if i'll be able to
Original post by BXWXN
what BTEC would you be able to take alongside that?

To be completely honest, I'm not too sure. Maybe Business?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
I just went through a resit year and it was worth it. I got DEEU last year and improved it to BBBE this year even though I was expected to get higher. The year went really quickly, I spent more time doing work and deadlines just flew by. I think when you resit a year, and you know less people in the year, it is easier to work hard. Although, two of my AS grades now don't count towards A2 and I'm dropping the E grade which I had planned from the start of the year. So at least now I will have a solid set of predicted grades and can work towards a high target feeling more confident of achieving.
Reply 17
Original post by babyetu
I just went through a resit year and it was worth it. I got DEEU last year and improved it to BBBE this year even though I was expected to get higher. The year went really quickly, I spent more time doing work and deadlines just flew by. I think when you resit a year, and you know less people in the year, it is easier to work hard. Although, two of my AS grades now don't count towards A2 and I'm dropping the E grade which I had planned from the start of the year. So at least now I will have a solid set of predicted grades and can work towards a high target feeling more confident of achieving.

yeah it would defiantly go by faster but as shallow as it sounds I'm a very sociable person and losing all my friends especially next year when they all move on would really effect me
Reply 18
UPDATE
Had my meeting and i am eligible to go into 6th form however i cannot take a level psychology.
Is there any possible way i can privately sit my a level psychology separate to school while still attending sixth form?

Quick Reply

Latest