The Student Room Group

My AS level study log- path to 4A's!

Scroll to see replies

03/06/2016

Had a nice lie-in this morning, so woke up a bit late. Did half an hour of yesterday's work that I was too tired to do at the time, so now I can crack on with today's work. I have a range of stuff to do today (all of my subjects). I'll update this post as I go along, as there's too much stuff just to list right here. Another piece of news is that on my revision timetable, I'm now on to page 10 of 11, so I'm almost there!

Maths- Completed. Done another very hard (IAL) M1 paper, got 69/75 in 1 hour 10 minutes. Spent another hour doing M1 questions.

Physics- Completed. Did about 50 minutes of reviewing.

French- Completed. Did some vocab.

Chemistry- Completed. Spent about 1 hour and 10 minutes doing some reviewing and making a few flashcards for some definitions.
(edited 7 years ago)
06/06/2016

Sorry for the lack of updates over the weekend- I was extremely busy, and not with school work. I managed to do everything I had down to do, but usually I do a bit more, so I spent less time revising than I'd have liked.

Anyhow, today is back to the usual. I had my French exam this morning- it seemed to go pretty well. Not to curse myself, but I think I've done enough in today's exam and the speaking exam I did a while ago to secure at least a B (which I would be pretty content with), and possibly hopefully an A.

Today I have already done an M1 paper, and a Physics mechanics paper, and now I'm going to do some reviewing of chemistry stuff. I'll probably do another M1 paper later too. I won't be doing individual updates for each subject today either.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by richpanda
06/06/2016

Sorry for the lack of updates over the weekend- I was extremely busy, and not with school work. I managed to do everything I had down to do, but usually I do a bit more, so I spent less time revising than I'd have liked.

Anyhow, today is back to the usual. I had my French exam this morning- it seemed to go pretty well. Not to curse myself, but I think I've done enough in today's exam and the speaking exam I did a while ago to secure at least a B (which I would be pretty content with), and possibly hopefully an A.

Today I have already done an M1 paper, and a Physics mechanics paper, and now I'm going to do some reviewing of chemistry stuff. I'll probably do another M1 paper later too. I won't be doing individual updates for each subject today either.

How much harder is A level French compared to GCSE French?
Original post by kennethdcharles
How much harder is A level French compared to GCSE French?

I wouldn't say French is the hardest A level, but I found GCSE French so easy that if you asked me to compare, it would seem a lot harder. I did no revision at all (literally not a single minute) for the exams and got full marks in both- I also kind of find languages quite easy to get a hold of compared to a lot of people.
07/06/2016

This is my last 'free day' before my run of 3 exams in 3 days, so I'm going to be pretty busy. This morning I'm going to be doing chemistry which should take about 2.5 hours. Then this afternoon I will be doing M1 in preparation for tomorrow, and maybe some physics if there is time left over.

Chemistry- Completed. Done 1 hour of reviewing. Re did an old specimen paper in 1 hour 20 minutes.

Maths- Comleted. Done another hard M1 paper, went well. Re did an old M1 paper that I didn't do too well on, got 74/75 this time. Done another paper, went well. Now going to read over some stuff before bed.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 225
I discovered your thread a bit late but i still find it very motivational so thanks a lot! :smile: I know this is probably very early but are you going to do this for your Alevels next year?
Reply 226
how much time do you roughly spend a day revising for your AS exams?
Original post by Najlac
I discovered your thread a bit late but i still find it very motivational so thanks a lot! :smile: I know this is probably very early but are you going to do this for your Alevels next year?

It's no problem, I'm glad it's helping others and not just me. I think I probably will do it again next year, it has seemed to improve my revision this year!

Original post by lmg1
how much time do you roughly spend a day revising for your AS exams?

I don't think I've ever done more than 6.5 hours in a day, and that's when I'm super motivated. Having said that, I did start light revision in mid February. On school days I'd usually do about 3 hours a day at home, and probably about an hour in study at school. Before May, I probably did 2 hours on school days.
08/06/2016

6 down, 2 to go! I finished my AS maths with M1 this morning, which went well apart from I've probably dropped 3 or 4 marks on a stupid mistake. I'm pretty confident of getting an A overall in maths, it's the others I'm not too sure about. Tomorrow I have my physics 'depth' paper, so I'll be preparing today and tomorrow morning (it's an afternoon exam) for that. Tonight I'll be doing a past paper, reviewing the specimen papers, revising the practicals and doing some practice exam style questions.

Physics- Spent an hour and a half doing a paper, got 70% which is good. Done another hour of practice questions.
(edited 7 years ago)
09/06/2016

1 more day of revising to go, and my exams will be over for this summer (I have Chemistry tomorrow afternoon). I had physics 'depth' today, and I really can't tell how I've done. The exam paper was okay, I'm just not sure. Could get anything between 95 and 60 percent to be honest.

In terms of today's revision, I have 2 past papers I'm going to do in succession pretty soon after I've made this post, and then some reviewing, looking at practicals and some more practice questions.

Chemistry- Spent 1 hour 15 doing a paper, got 75/80. Spent 50 minutes doing another paper, got 75/80 again.
(edited 7 years ago)
10/06/2016

I'm finished! Had my last exam today, and it went pretty well although it was a hard paper. I'm going to put up a longer post tomorrow.
@Richpanda

You've been really inspirational to me and Could you make a long post on tips to do as well as you did?
I'm starting A-levels next year and I'd like to smash them as all my cousins have failed them......
Original post by Bulletzone
@Richpanda

You've been really inspirational to me and Could you make a long post on tips to do as well as you did?
I'm starting A-levels next year and I'd like to smash them as all my cousins have failed them......

I was already planning to do one, and post it as a thread for everyone to see.
I was already planning to do one, and post it as a thread for everyone to see.

Thanks.
Original post by Bulletzone
Thanks.

But that may not be for a week or so
12/06/2016

Well, I finished my last 2016 exam on Friday. Since then I've done pretty much nothing, so I thought I'd better give an overall review of the exam period. Also, I seem to be finding it hard to sleep now that exams are finished, has anyone else experienced this?

Maths Core 1- I think I managed to do pretty well in a paper that was quite tricky. I'm pretty sure I will get an A for this paper.

Physics Breadth- Went pretty well, I think I should get at least a B, hopefully an A.

Maths Core 2- Went well like Core 2, but again a small mistake stopping from getting full marks.

Chemistry Inorg/Physical- This exam was good, I'm hopeful for an A if not a high B.

French- Really can't tell how it went. Was slightly harder than past papers, could be anywhere between a C and an A.

Maths Mechanics 1- Again like the other maths modules, went well but another stupid mistake making me drop a couple of marks.

Physics Depth- Bit of a weird paper, some bits nice and easy but others were quite tricky. Another one where i can't tell how well I did.

Chemistry Org/Physical- Quite a tricky paper, but I managed to get most of the calculations and longer answer questions pretty spot on. On this paper most of my dropped marks will be on 2/3 markers I suspect. Probably got an A or B, not too sure.

These predictions are all made under the assumption that there's no mess up with my papers, and that the examiner isn't stupid.

Maths- A. I expect between 260-280 UMS.

Physics- B/A. Quite hard to tell. B probably slightly more likely than an A.

Chemistry- A/B. Again more difficult to tell. A probably slightly more likely than a B.

French- A/B. Again, not too sure.

In terms of overall grades, the lowest I would be happy with would be AABB or AAAC. Anything higher and I'll be delighted!
What exam board do u do for Maths ? AQA ?
Original post by Rgourgel
What exam board do u do for Maths ? AQA ?

Edexcel
Wow. Just got my results! I got AAAA, so I am super pleased right now! I hope this shows to anyone reading this blog later that hard work pays off.
Wow. Just got my results! I got AAAA, so I am super pleased right now! I hope this shows to anyone reading this blog later that hard work pays off.

Wow! Well done! I just wanted to know if you could share any tips when it comes to revising chemistry and upping my grade next year.

thanks, richpanda

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending