The Student Room Group

I'm a Data Analyst for TSR - AMA!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by inhuman
Oh wow, long time ago.

What is the most negged post (if that is still available to see)?

Who do you report to?

Yeah alright don't rub it in :frown: :frown:

The most negged post is http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=29244508. You can't see the score anymore but it had 823 neg rep.

I report to http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/member.php?u=2795454... it's not letting me tag him for some reason. Don't post in his AMA though whatever you do
Original post by jenhasdreams
x

What is the best/most interesting statistic you've ever been asked to come up with?
What do you do?????
How many A*s have been achieved by TSR users
Reply 24
How many trolls are there on TSR?
Original post by UWS
How many trolls are there on TSR?

Assuming we ban them all... then we ban 30 users a day (blimey)
I had a bagel with vegan cream cheese, avocado and tomato - supplied by TSR! Nom nom.

Your most repped post is http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=64973935 closely followed by http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=65016735 :lol:

The best CT member is the sadly departed @Puddles the Monkey . If that's not allowed, then I suppose it's @Pickles. I don't really want to give him that satisfaction though.

I love problem solving so enjoy a good bit of investigation into all the masses of data we have about the site, and finding the answer to an issue! Especially if it's something we can change on the site and has a quick positive impact.

Original post by iEthan
Thank you :tongue: now I know!

I miss @Puddles the Monkey a lot… :frown: and her endless battle with the site permissions. D: Ah, @Pickles is a good guy I suppose. :tongue: Puddles is better though, so I'll allow you that one. :wink:

It sounds like such a cool job. And your breakfast sounds delicious!!

Thanks @jenhasdreams - you're the best :biggrin:

@iEthan - :eek: "I suppose"
Original post by RK
What is the best/most interesting statistic you've ever been asked to come up with?

What words in a thread title get the most number of replies on average?

The words in Life forums are:
AMA
Ask
Anything
Girls
Guys
TSR

:lol:
Original post by Pickles
Thanks @jenhasdreams - you're the best :biggrin:

@iEthan - :eek: "I suppose"

:colone: ok, fine! You are a good guy :tongue:

Spoiler

What words in a thread title get the most number of replies on average?

The words in Life forums are:
AMA
Ask
Anything
Girls
Guys
TSR

:lol:

But not 'me'?
Who hands out the most cards and bans? :ninja:
Original post by TSR-Exam
Who hands out the most cards and bans? :ninja:

Ha, the out of hours moderation team. Moderation is their only thing they do on site though.
Original post by RK
But not 'me'?

No... perhaps that's used more often in other thread titles with less replies and brings down the average
how any threads are here are not about islam, penis size or counting to a million ?
Reply 34
I've been working at TSR for over 2 years now as a Data Analyst.

Ask me about interesting site stats

Do you know / need to use programming?

Why aren't more statistics publicly available?

Do you ever visualise data?

Are IP addresses of posters logged?

Why does TSR require a data analyst?

How mathematical is your job?

How large is the TSR database / content server?
(edited 7 years ago)
I'd be interested in a data analyst role but I wonder what the typical requirements are. I have a compsci degree, I did SQL at uni and in my spare time but how complex is the SQL normally used?
Original post by Reformed
how any threads are here are not about islam, penis size or counting to a million ?

Approx 6 (inc this one)
Original post by micycle
Do you know / need to use programming?
I mainly write SQL, that's pretty essential. I also use VBA and I've taught myself basic Python to automate some tasks such as pulling data from our ad server API and Google Analytics API

Original post by micycle
Why aren't more statistics publicly available?
Do you mean TSR data specifically? We have some big figures publicly aavailable here http://tsrmatters.com/facts-and-figures/ What sort of things do you want to know?

Original post by micycle
Do you ever visualise data?
All the time! A graph is generally much easier to understand than a table full o'numbers.

Original post by micycle
Are IP addresses of posters logged?
Yes, the forum isn't anonymous

Original post by micycle
Why does TSR require a data analyst?
Because we're a very big site, we get millions of users a month, so need someone dedicated to it. We want to make sure we're making the right decisions for our users and clients (we rely on advertising revenue) than just blindly going ahead with projects

Original post by micycle
How mathematical is your job?
I know all the numbers, even ones like 5435535886. It's mainly logic and problem solving, although I have a Maths degree it's not all that complex

Original post by micycle
How large is the TSR database / content server?
one for @adamstrawson, perhaps.
How much do you sell our data for to get companies to pay for targeted advertising?

Let's be honest, this is your job.

SS
Original post by shawn_o1
I'd be interested in a data analyst role but I wonder what the typical requirements are. I have a compsci degree, I did SQL at uni and in my spare time but how complex is the SQL normally used?

That sounds perfect for an entry role :smile: Excel and SQL are the main things I use. You're not looking for a job in Brighton are you? :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending