The Student Room Group

Should I call my uni now or tomorrow?

I got accepted into my firm choice which I did not expect. My firm was English language and insurance was linguistics, both at the same uni. I've been considering whether I should switch courses to my insurance as I'm not interested in the compulsory modules in the Lang course any more. Both courses are v similar so I'm going to sleep on my decision and think about it for the day. If I do decide to switch will they still consider me if I called up and asked tomorrow morning rather than today? I don't want to call today bc I need some time to think and I don't want to regret my choice.
Original post by Tsrsarahhhh
I got accepted into my firm choice which I did not expect. My firm was English language and insurance was linguistics, both at the same uni. I've been considering whether I should switch courses to my insurance as I'm not interested in the compulsory modules in the Lang course any more. Both courses are v similar so I'm going to sleep on my decision and think about it for the day. If I do decide to switch will they still consider me if I called up and asked tomorrow morning rather than today? I don't want to call today bc I need some time to think and I don't want to regret my choice.

If you got into your firm choice then your insurance offer won't exist any more. You can try phoning and seeing if you can switch courses at your firm or decline it and go into clearing.*
Do you know if the linguistics course is in clearing? If so, they may have already started filling the spaces of people who had an offer but who did not take it up, so you don't want to wait too long in case it fills up. Obviously weigh up your decision carefully, but I would suggest calling sooner rather than later.
Original post by jelly1000
If you got into your firm choice then your insurance offer won't exist any more. You can try phoning and seeing if you can switch courses at your firm or decline it and go into clearing.*

Because both the courses are at the same uni I was wondering whether I could just switch. IDONT want to have to go through clearing.
I would say ring today. I don't know how quick/long the process of switching course would be but I'm sure you'd be able to change course, the challenge is getting into the university of your choice not the course itself. Even if you didn't swap now you could still swap after 1st year.
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
Do you know if the linguistics course is in clearing? If so, they may have already started filling the spaces of people who had an offer but who did not take it up, so you don't want to wait too long in case it fills up. Obviously weigh up your decision carefully, but I would suggest calling sooner rather than later.

I believe it is in clearing. I'm worried it will get filled up if I don't ring soon, would tomorrow morning be too late?
Because both the courses are at the same uni I was wondering whether I could just switch. IDONT want to have to go through clearing.

I see, it will still depend on whether they have the space for you to switch.*
I believe it is in clearing. I'm worried it will get filled up if I don't ring soon, would tomorrow morning be too late?

Hard to say, sorry :frown: Do you have any idea how big the cohort is? Leaving it later is riskier but as you say, make sure you're certain about your decision before you call.

You should ring up now and discuss your thinking, exactly as you have done in this thread. You don't have to make a decision and can ring back again tomorrow once you have made your choice. At least this way you would be fully informed and aware of how quickly you need to make your mind up!
Original post by CardiffKate
You should ring up now and discuss your thinking, exactly as you have done in this thread. You don't have to make a decision and can ring back again tomorrow once you have made your choice. At least this way you would be fully informed and aware of how quickly you need to make your mind up!

Good idea. Thankyou.
Thanks for the replys everyone! I've had a think about it and talked about it with my mum and decided to just stay on the English course.
Thanks for the replys everyone! I've had a think about it and talked about it with my mum and decided to just stay on the English course.

You can always ring and ask how much flexibility there is to swap between the two courses during your first year. It could be a lot easier than you think - or it might be a big nono due to the course structures.

The answer doesn't mean you have to make a decision now but it will give you some idea how long you have to make a decision.
Original post by PQ
You can always ring and ask how much flexibility there is to swap between the two courses during your first year. It could be a lot easier than you think - or it might be a big nono due to the course structures.

The answer doesn't mean you have to make a decision now but it will give you some idea how long you have to make a decision.

Thankyou. Yeah from what I've been told both courses are extremely similar, almost the same apart from a few compulsory modules. I'll still call and ask tho, thanks x

Quick Reply

Latest