The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

I have my exam tomorrow and I did mock 2 from medify and got a terrible score at VR when generally I did well. I just couldn't finish and I ended up guessing a lot of answers. I also had to guess quite a few in QR but got a better score there. VR is stressing me out. Any tips to finish on time?
Hi! So I just did it and got
Verbal 630
Quantitative 750
Abstract 700
Situational Band 1

What do you think are the chances of getting into graduate entry dentistry? (I'm a graduate btw)
Original post by helloimastudent
Hi! So I just did it and got
Verbal 630
Quantitative 750
Abstract 700
Situational Band 1

What do you think are the chances of getting into graduate entry dentistry? (I'm a graduate btw)

Congrats on your result!! How easier/harder was it compared to mocks or practice questions you did?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by natalia.medicine
Congrats on your result!! How easier/harder was it compared to mocks or practice questions you did?

Oh god, waaaaaayyy easier than the mocks
Mate quantitative was so much easier than any mock I did
Abstract was way way easier too
Verbal was the same

Overall the real test was easier than any mock or practise test I did, and I did all three UKCAT practise tests and all three medify mocks.
Verbal was the same

Overall the real test was easier than any mock or practise test I did, and I did all three UKCAT practise tests and all three medify mocks.

You give me hope :redface:
What did everyone get in UKCAT Mock A? Im slightly worried because I got 450 in qr!
Is the VR in mock test A similar to the real exam?
Original post by Pra99
What did everyone get in UKCAT Mock A? Im slightly worried because I got 450 in qr!

I got 707 average, 570 in QR :frown:
Verbal was the same

Well done on your result! how come everyone is saying VR is awful this year, its really stressing me out as i struggle with it :frown: My friend and now you said it was the same as medify and kaplan so whats it really like? and what technique did u use?
Hi, so I did my UKCAT today and got a score of 1850VR: 670QR: 540AR: 640STJ: band 2The DA I thought I did really well but alas it doesn't contribute to the final score. I didn't do nearly as well as I hoped and was wondering if anyone had any advice about where to apply UKCAT wise? I planned on Sheffield, maybe Aberdeen but now I'm not sure, thanks :smile:
Original post by cogito.
I deeply disagree.

mee too.....I have an oxbridge degree and suck at the ukcat- 3rd time doing it!!!
i got 2hours till my test. I have done all medify mocks but not official ones. Which official one should i do?
Reply 2572
Original post by 123chem
i got 2hours till my test. I have done all medify mocks but not official ones. Which official one should i do?

2 hours?! Dude, go do some push ups and stretch out. Listen to some zen music. Chill out.
I got

VR - 680
QR - 890
AR - 730
SJ - Band 2

Total: 2300
Avg :767

Honestly, didn't think it was going as well as it was when I was in the hall. I did all the Kaplan practice tests, and a couple of the official mocks. 2300 is my second highest score out of all of them. Interestingly, in all my mocks i was much better in my VR than my QR and AR, so you might do better than you think in those areas. VR was definitely harder than any I had done in the past. Good luck!
Original post by Kraytz
How does the UKCAT compare to official online practice tests?

Also do you get a handheld calculator or do you only have the online calculator as I saw some threads form years ago where they got handheld calculators as well.

I found the official online practice tests were very similar, medify personally was easier than the real thing.
Original post by 123chem

No, don't do any more mocks!!!It is simply too late, whilst it would have been nice for you to do the official mocks the 3 MEDIFY mocks you have done is more than sufficient so don't worry about it too much :smile:Panicking won't help so just relax and focus your mind.Perhaps listen to some classical music to help you settle down or ACDC to pump up your adrenaline before the test.
Original post by neilthomas
I got

VR - 680
QR - 890
AR - 730
SJ - Band 2

Total: 2300
Avg :767

Honestly, didn't think it was going as well as it was when I was in the hall. I did all the Kaplan practice tests, and a couple of the official mocks. 2300 is my second highest score out of all of them. Interestingly, in all my mocks i was much better in my VR than my QR and AR, so you might do better than you think in those areas. VR was definitely harder than any I had done in the past. Good luck!

congratulations on your amazing UKCAT score :smile:

Did you find QR and AR to easier than Kaplan/Medify(if applicable)?or the other way round?

Good Luck with your medicine application!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by natalia.medicine
I have my exam tomorrow and I did mock 2 from medify and got a terrible score at VR when generally I did well. I just couldn't finish and I ended up guessing a lot of answers. I also had to guess quite a few in QR but got a better score there. VR is stressing me out. Any tips to finish on time?

Hi natalia.medicine

Hoping I can offer you some tips for VR...

Firstly read the question before the passage as it focuses your reading. Then work through at a steady, even pace (30 seconds per questions).

Look out for “extreme” words (always, never, extremely, proven etc.) as these words often give you the answer.

Remember that “true” and “false” don’t have to be exact word-for-word matches. If the meaning is the same that is enough.

Hope that helps and good luck for tomorrow!

UniAdmissions
Original post by clairebear101
Well done on your result! how come everyone is saying VR is awful this year, its really stressing me out as i struggle with it :frown: My friend and now you said it was the same as medify and kaplan so whats it really like? and what technique did u use?

Hey! I struggle with verbal and always have!
In every mock I did I got 400-500, and I would say the real UKCAT verbal went the same way as all my mocks had done (i.e. Not good) but I got 630 in the real exam. I think the scoring is more generous in the real exam for all three sections

But I think for me verbal always seems the same level of difficultly (in real exam, medify mocks, ukcat mocks, isc 1000 question mock, and Kaplan mock) because I bloody hate it and I always think every question is difficult

Sorry if that's not much help but feel reassured that the QR and AR section are MUCH MUCH easier in the real thing!
Original post by saran23
congratulations on your amazing UKCAT score :smile:

Did you find QR and AR to easier than Kaplan/Medify(if applicable)?or the other way round?

Good Luck with your medicine application!

thanks very much!
To be honest I felt during the exam they were roughly the same. If i had to say something, I would say QR was easier in terms of working out what to do compared to Kaplan, but the time pressure was similar. AR felt mostly the same to me. That being said, I got better marks in the actual thing for QR and AR than I got in any of the kaplan mocks, so maybe my impressions aren't very accurate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending