The Student Room Group

Edexcel Government & Politics - Unit 1 06/06/16

Scroll to see replies

For the Unit 1 democracy 25 marker

- to what extent has devolution and eu membership affected the uk's representative democracy

- My first point was that devolution to scotland in 1997 (accepted) created a greater demand for independence, highlighted by the 2014 scottish independence referendum (voted against)
- My second point for the eu membership was that it split the conservative party, as Cameron suspended Cabinet Collective Responsibility and allowed his BB's to vote in their own preference, also the so-called 'Gang of Six' consisting of six senior conservative ministers (IDS, Michael Gove) present strong views in favour of 'Brexit' whereas their party leader shows opposite views.

Can someone please tell me whether these points were relevant for this 25 marker? because after all i'm still struggling to find the correlation between devolution, eu membership and representative democracy.

Many thanks if you take the time to answer this.
found this on twitter
OMG i mentioned the Second point against for Devolution xD At least i got some marks
for the EU i just talked about how Parliament Laws are inferior to EU laws and that affects representatives......... then i said it doesnt as there is a EU parliament -> Blah blah blah ....

cant remember what i did for the conclusion, i think i just said it affects it but the strengths out weigh it
Original post by chaz100
Sounds good bro, reckon that's a solid 20/20, what did you put in the 25 markers and 5 markers? Just out of interest.

Politics is so hard to predict though!
For the five mark on democracy i put:
1. Every citizen has a constituency who presents them. It is a fundamental part of democracy that everyone feels they have a representative who will listen to their grievances. (used my MP as an example)
2. Government is chosen from parliament. Ministers are also MPs etc etc (plus an example)

Pressure groups five markers:
1.Key function of educating the public (example)
2. Affecting policy making/how it is implemented (example)

25s:
Democracy:
HAS AFFECTED:
1. More representatives nemerically (MEPs, Mayors etc etc)
2. (can't remember this point)
HAS NOT AFFECTED TO A GREAT DEAL:
1. In the EU only 10% of members of the parliament are British MEPs so we arent really being represented.
2. Low turnouts question the legitimacy of the representatives especially in places like Wales.

Pressure Groups:
POWER/INFLUENCE GONE UP
1. Less partisan politics; falling membership and election turnouts but increasing size of pressure groups. This means their power goes up; e.g The march on fox hunting ban in 2003 which had 300,000 participants from the Countryside Alliance. Made the government reconsider the bill.
2. Devolution; more access points to the decision making process. E.g Scotland
ON THE OTHER HAND:
1. Parliament remains sovereign and so has and will always control their extent influence.
2. Strong majority government means that they rely less now on consulting pressure groups as they have a strong mandate from the electorate. E.g Jeremy Hunt with BMA. He had authority and power. Pressure groups went down.
Reply 1524
Guys for unit 2, anyone planned a 'british bill of rights over human rights act' question??
Original post by Foji
Guys for unit 2, anyone planned a 'british bill of rights over human rights act' question??

Check this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4145477&page=54&p=65584767#post65584767 I just replied to the same question on there with a plan for it
25 Marker Eu/Devolution can someone help me see if what I wrote is right

Devolution is good Gives power to scots Welsh and NI however unfair beacuse England don't have a local parlament wrote in more depth

Eu affects RD by protecting Human tights check balace to government tyranny

Eu is bad beacuse they are unelected not sovereign gave an example of deportation laws
Good luck everyone :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mollyadtr
Good luck everyone :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same to you! :h:
Original post by EricAteYou
Same to you! :h:

How'd you get on?

Posted from TSR Mobile
How'd you get on?

Posted from TSR Mobile

An A, how about you?
200 UMS boi right here :banana:
Original post by EricAteYou
An A, how about you?

Well done! An A too

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1533
Well done! An A too

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow didn't you do the wrong question or something?
Original post by xxvine
Wow didn't you do the wrong question or something?

I did the constitution one wrong yeah so I legit have no idea how they gave me an a overall

Posted from TSR Mobile
Am i the only one who got an E for politics?! so disappointing
I got an A :smile:))))
I got a B. One raw mark off an A 😢

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1538
Original post by Louise12307
I got a B. One raw mark off an A 😢

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was 2 from A. I may send it for a remark? Hopefully my school does it! Would yours? Biology went well as well !!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Foji
I was 2 from A. I may send it for a remark? Hopefully my school does it! Would yours? Biology went well as well !!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oooooh well I considered it but the grade boundaries are so slim 😢 I could only afford to drop like 4 marks if it went down lest I be lumbered with a C!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending