The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Got 4A*'s but 3,3 in STEP goodbye Cambridge lol
I can't believe it. Four years ago I'd never have thought that I'd get anywhere near to getting in. Four years of struggle later I have four A*s. This is just the beginning but I cannot thank you all enough, without this thread I would have no information about both the grades I should aspire to, nor the process to get in!
Woo my A Levels did not fail me (well, I did not fail them...). Got in for maths at St John's.
I got in!!!! Take that Warwick I didn't need your stupid conditional offer anyway! Most tense phone call of my life though and the line is dodgy and she's literally saying 'I've just had an email from the maths tutor and he says...' and then the phone cut out and I had to ring her back!
Original post by ab66
Thanks for the reply!
Quick question - if my current offer is deferred would any pool offer also be deferred?

Good question! The applicant's wishes take priority so colleges interested in offering you deferred entry would have first call. If the only colleges interested want to take you for this year then you would be offered a place this year.
Didn't get what I wanted but I'm getting priority remarks and Clare said they'll consider everything and get back to me tomorrow. :frown: I just want it so much and my results are really not a reflection of the effort I put in
Well I spent this morning lurking through this thread...

Whale, whale, whale... @Duke Glacia, @C0balt, @Serine Soul

First of all, here's a slap for y'all for even thinking that you wouldn't make it. :colonhash: :slap:

Told ya you'd hulk smash your offer, but you didn't listen you stubborn lil coconuts. :colonhash: :slap:

CONGRATULATIONS!!! IM GENUINELY SO HAPPY FOR YOU GUYS!! Probably even prouder than your mums (with the exception of your mum, Ena :tongue:)

Now off you go to Cambridge and have no life and get that First :h: xD

Come meet me in London some time. C:

And congratulations to everyone else who nailed it.

:party:

And condolences to those who didn't ;_; I'm sure if you've made it this far, you're going to do great at your insurance, whatever uni that is. I didn't even get an offer and have already cured cancer in my mind, you see. :yep: so.. Don't stop believing, hold on to that feeling *dundundun*

Oh, before I forget....

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Well done everyone for getting into Cambridge! :h: I hope that I will be in the same position in a few years time!
So i met all my a-level conditions, but got a 2,2 in step instead of a 1,2, but track still says conditional offer. School sent them my ums like the letter said before. Haven't heard anything from them yet, is it worth phoning them or shall i just wait it out? how would you find out if you've been pooled?
Original post by SchubertLieder
I made it!!! A*A*A despite getting a C on the English paper (May I take this opportunity to thank Jesus for last year's UMS). Any French and/or ab initio German MML peeps here?

Confession: My French essay needed to be 440 words max but it was over 600 and after I'd cut it down I truly thought they wouldn't be able to read the paper at all... I worried in vain!
Hope everyone else is happy with their results too! :3

About-to-go-on-year-abroad MMLer here (French and Spanish ab initio) if you have any questions!
Original post by liamm691
So i met all my a-level conditions, but got a 2,2 in step instead of a 1,2, but track still says conditional offer. School sent them my ums like the letter said before. Haven't heard anything from them yet, is it worth phoning them or shall i just wait it out? how would you find out if you've been pooled?

Waiting game I'm afraid. Your College will let you know if you're being pooled but it's likely they haven't decided yet.
Just got my results. Bit disappointed - dropped 12 UMS this year ;-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Krollo

Posted from TSR Mobile

lol
three A* in maths and chemistry, A in physics.
Original post by Krollo

Posted from TSR Mobile

Take this as post-rejection bitterness if you want and I'll probably get hate for saying this but seriously, please can you just not. I'm so happy for everyone that got in, I honestly am, and I know everyone has their own standards but saying this about 12 UMS on results day is just a bit too far, if you ask me. There's being excited and proud and everything, and then there's just being a bit disrespectful.

Congrats for meeting your offer, I heard you did fantastically in STEP.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi Peterhouse Admissions,
I'm getting a remark and have already been in contact with Clare about this. But, what are the chances of being picked up in the Summer pool as a humanities applicant because I understand that maths applicants usually are the only ones to gain places through it?
Also, is it entirely up to Clare whether to pool me or not?
Thank you
Congratulations to everyone who's met their offers and commiserations to those who haven't. If any incoming freshers have questions about Fitzwilliam or studying English, feel free to send me a PM or quote me here.
Original post by felecita
X

I remember you from the good ol' post-interview days. I'm sorry you didn't meet your offer. :cry2:

Where are you off to now?
Original post by felecita
Take this as post-rejection bitterness if you want and I'll probably get hate for saying this but seriously, please can you just not. I'm so happy for everyone that got in, I honestly am, and I know everyone has their own standards but saying this about 12 UMS on results day is just a bit too far, if you ask me. There's being excited and proud and everything, and then there's just being a bit disrespectful.

Congrats for meeting your offer, I heard you did fantastically in STEP.

I'm really sorry this bothered you. I didn't mean it to be a jibe at anyone, rather a sarcastic comment in relation to last year's results, but this is all but impossible to convey sensibly over the internet. I should have worded it a bit less like a ******* given the circumstances and I absolutely apologise.

Thanks. :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Poppycharlotte
Hi Peterhouse Admissions,
I'm getting a remark and have already been in contact with Clare about this. But, what are the chances of being picked up in the Summer pool as a humanities applicant because I understand that maths applicants usually are the only ones to gain places through it?
Also, is it entirely up to Clare whether to pool me or not?
Thank you

Good questions. If you achieved the standard offer in your subject then you must be pooled unless your preference college takes you. If you haven't met the standard offer then pooling is at the discretion of the preference college.

Maths is the subject which makes the biggest use of the Summer Pool (coz STEP) but there is movement in many subjects (otherwise we wouldn't bother with a Summer Pool). We always say that everything is on a case-by-case basis in light of individual circumstances and this is especially true at this time of year.

We always try to act in candidate's best interests and pool only and all those who are likely to be of interest to other colleges. We aim to have as many decisions finalised before today as we can. If you are still pending it is because you are still of interest and are still in contention for a place.

Latest