The Student Room Group

Official AS & A2 Results Day 2016

Scroll to see replies

voted on the poll expecting ABC and got ABB! (plus a C in sociology which i stopped caring about 8 months ago)
Someone help
I.t - c
Business - b
R.e - e
What shall I do
AS RESULTS
I wanted to go to a Russell group uni

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by angoranimi
A*AB...any chance of medicine or nah? I didn't apply last year so I'm applying this year

Medicine is so competitive, I'm not sure!
How about 6 year courses?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nirgilis
Depends on the uni, but generally it's not easy.

SOAS
From English to law
Original post by Reda2
Ok, so I got my grades... I got BCD, I needed ABB, and in clearing its saying BBB, according to this: http://search.ucas.com/course/entryrequirements/413738/software-engineering-for-business?Vac=1&AvailableIn=Clearing&Query=Software%20engineering&ProviderQuery=queen%20mary&IsFeatherProcessed=True&ret=providers#coursedetailsmenu

I double checked all the units, not close enough to any higher grades to mention. I know I might have lost QMUL now but I still want to try, how do you think I should approach the call?

First, well done. They may not have been what you were expecting, but they're definitely good enough to see you to university.

You are genuinely keenly interested in QMUL, so set yourself up somewhere quiet with good phone reception and be ready to sell yourself (in a clam and collected manner!). There is no harm in calling them up.
Make sure you have your UCAS Track/Clearing numbers to hand before you call. They will want to know your grades and will most likely give you the same answer they already have at this point, but you can ask to be kept in consideration or 'on hold' in case they have spaces available closer to the end of the Clearing period (which differs by university and each Clearing period).

If you get chance reiterate all the positives you have mentioned in your personal statement and and other extras you think may be relevant.

Finally, depending on the outcome of that call, don't be too disheartened. You have a solid set of grades and there is no reason you won't still be able to call around other unis (in addition to your insurance choice) and re-evaluate.

I wish you the absolute best of luck with this. Go get 'em!
Original post by nihil_nimis
I got my AS maths result and I got an A overall with:
C1-88 UMS
C2-72 UMS
S1-90 UMS
in total i got 250 UMS
is it worth retaking C2 next year ?

Yes absolutely ... I went from 75 UMS in C2 in AS to 95 UMS in retake ... C2 is extremely easier when you retake because it ties in well with the other A2 units.
Got AAAB in psychology, sociology, biology and maths (dropping maths next year). I'm SO happy that I can apply to the unis I want to!
Original post by Mia66
3 marks away from an A in as economics, is it worth a remark??

I was 3 ums marks off a B which i NEED for a place at my firm (Southampton) Got a priority remark. I hope it is worth it tbh!
Original post by CutieTootsie
Deffo get remarks, are you mad?!? If you don't get them remarked your deffo gunna regret. So much to gain, nothing to lose.

Congratulations on these stunning results

Posted from TSR Mobile

@victoria98 I honestly don't think it is necessary for you to get a remark. A, because you're already in and B, you don't want to risk dropping a grade no matter how small that risk may be. I would say just allow it and enjoy uni :biggrin:!!!
Reply 8989
Original post by victoria98
I got A*A*AA in maths, biology, chemistry and physics respectively. I got into my firm, even though they wanted an A* in chemistry and maths not biology. I was 2 marks away from an A* (one on each paper) in chemistry. Would getting a remark be pointless?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was in a similar position last year, got A*A*AA, 1 mark away in further maths.
Got 2 maths scripts (cheaper) and checked the mark scheme myself, there was nothing they marked wrong.

With maths it is very black and white though, no arguing with answers most of the time.

But if you get a first/2:1 at Uni, nobody will really care about not having an extra A* imo.

It was just for myself, but every now and then I do think about being 1 mark off :frown:
Original post by xxvine
Is it very hard to change courses whist at uni?

It's harder than trying to do it now, might not be possible at all.
Original post by vicky.m
voted on the poll expecting ABC and got ABB! (plus a C in sociology which i stopped caring about 8 months ago)

Congrats! I was wondering how predictions were against real grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8992
i got two C's in my AS levels, (my third subject has all its exams next year), can i still recoverr

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't know what to do. I just got my AS results and I got these results:

Media AQA: B
Product Design AQA: C
Geography AQA: D

I am really not happy with geography and my media coursework mark went down by 10 marks after exam board moderation. I have been advised to stay and continue with these alevels at my sixth form and to retake the geography unit 1 paper next year as this is what dragged me down.

Is this the right pathway, do you think I can succed with getting A BB next year if I put lot's of work in?
Original post by xxvine
SOAS
From English to law

It's not always as difficult as you think. The hard part is getting into the university, not switching between courses. Ring up and ask or drop them an email!
Original post by angoranimi
A*AB...any chance of medicine or nah? I didn't apply last year so I'm applying this year

It will be very difficult unless you retake the B, but even then your options may be limited. :sadnod:
Original post by beanmaker
Someone help
I.t - c
Business - b
R.e - e
What shall I do
AS RESULTS
I wanted to go to a Russell group uni

Posted from TSR Mobile

You could retake the year? Or retake the R.E, and you could be predicted A and B in IT and Business.

Original post by xxvine
SOAS
From English to law

You would need to contact them directly.

Original post by Emilypickett
Got AAAB in psychology, sociology, biology and maths (dropping maths next year). I'm SO happy that I can apply to the unis I want to!

Well done! :biggrin: :woo: :party: :woo:

Original post by Naveed Rahman
I was 3 ums marks off a B which i NEED for a place at my firm (Southampton) Got a priority remark. I hope it is worth it tbh!

Have you called Southampton to let you know that you are getting a remark?
Original post by TheMathsMan
Yes absolutely ... I went from 75 UMS in C2 in AS to 95 UMS in retake ... C2 is extremely easier when you retake because it ties in well with the other A2 units.

Thank you, is it worth doing it though, like will it give me a better chance at an A overall at A2 ? And was it a lot of work doing C2 in year 13 ?
Reply 8998
You can, but also be aware that the remark could go down.
Think I might go for it because even if I do get marked down by a couple of marks I'll still have the B, but I'm not too sure about the current remark system😭 Apparently you have to spot a mistake in the marking first?!
Original post by TS21
i got two C's in my AS levels, (my third subject has all its exams next year), can i still recoverr

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can still recover, yep :yep: . You would be expected to get B's overall with those marks, so if you retook an exam or two, you could push those predictions up to A :h:

Original post by dawideksoltysik
I don't know what to do. I just got my AS results and I got these results:

Media AQA: B
Product Design AQA: C
Geography AQA: D

I am really not happy with geography and my media coursework mark went down by 10 marks after exam board moderation. I have been advised to stay and continue with these alevels at my sixth form and to retake the geography unit 1 paper next year as this is what dragged me down.

Is this the right pathway, do you think I can succed with getting A BB next year if I put lot's of work in?

That is the right pathway, yep, in my opinion :h:

Quick Reply

Latest