The Student Room Group

Why did students vote Leave?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by inhuman
That's what I find sad, you run away rather than try to fix what's broken.

Who wants to fix it? We will just be treated with arrogance, our democracy will be obliterated, we will get more and more authoritarianism. We will be ignored have to succumb to the deluded globalist mantra and the expansionism that has failed throughout history and caused misery.

“Europe’s nations should be guided towards the superstate without their people understanding what is happening. This can be accomplished by successive steps, each disguised as having an economic purpose but which will irreversibly lead to federation.”

Jean Monet, EU founder
Reply 61
Original post by TheIr0nDuke
As I posted previously, it was my second reason for doing so, sovereignty being first.

It's a perfectly justifiable opinion to hold and reason to vote Leave.

Europe would be a very different place if all had thought that since ww2.
Back when the UK left-wing had integrity. Blair saw to the end of that.

Note the use of 'Europhiles'.

Yes indeed. I have felt for a long time no-one sees this as a problem. Plus the fact they cite the Tories as the problem when they are the cancer, wrecking democracy and genuine choice in elections, that was a Blair legacy, along with his other glories.

Thankfully though, it seems that the end is not confirmed. I think what it was what those people are incredibly vocal, entitled and aggressive. They also fed of peoples total apathy and disgust with politics. Meanwhile the media and political class has lived in their echo chamber. It's funny that once the democratic will really turns out and feels they can make a difference, en masse they come out and reject the political paradigm of the last twenty years in swathes. In the Scots indy ref(I don't support independence for them but at the time I got the political alienation), in the Brexit vote across the country away from London, and in the record numbers of Labour joiners to support a candidate they all can't stand.
Original post by inhuman
Loool you think that was made by a Brexiter?

No that's why I said to annoy the OP
Original post by inhuman
If the vote had been the other way round, you could swap leave and remain and it would be very fitting, you know.

Anyway, you are so sure of yourself, good luck in the future.

Not really. This is what i've observed, remain did not do itself any favours with the way it acted. They had nothing but hot air and noise in all the televised debates, which will be what most people saw.

No, i'm not sure of myself, we are in the unknown, i'm just a bit more optomistic, believe in the UK and more willing to think more long term than you are.

I'm well aware that being overly nationalistic and over confident is dangerous. It's also better to be a realist. However, If there is anything remain did, it was project endless pessimism, defeatism and to generally talk the UK down at every oppertunity it had.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 65
Original post by Pegasus2
Not really. This is what i've observed, remain did not do itself any favours with the way it acted. They had nothing but hot air and noise in all the televised debates, which will be what most people saw.

No, i'm not sure of myself, we are in the unknown, i'm just a bit more willing to think more long term than you are.

Wrong and wrong.

Yes, most people, but only 52%. And it's what they wanted to see.

Thinking your view is better long term is not akin to me not thinking long term at all :facepalm:

You see now why I personally think leavers are idiots? Only half thought-through arguments that they parade as truths and reason. Hypocrites that accuse the other side of the very same things they do.

Edit: point proven. You just added this;

I'm well aware that being overly nationalistic and over confident is dangerous. It's also better to be a realist. However, If there is anything remain did, it was project endless pessimism, defeatism and to generally talk the UK down at every oppertunity it had.

Because leave never was pessimistic were they? They never said the future is bleak, the UK doomed under the EU? Lol'd.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 66
Original post by niteninja1
No that's why I said to annoy the OP

So if it wasn't made by a Brexiter, it was made by Remainer (perhaps a netural but I doubt a neutral cares enough to make something like that).

So why would something made by a Remainer annoy OP?
Original post by inhuman
Europe would be a very different place if all had thought that since ww2.

I imagine so. Sweden would not be the rape capital of Europe, France would not have nearly as much tragedy, German women would not be sexually assaulted by refugees.

But ofc you don't care about that
Reply 68
I imagine so. Sweden would not be the rape capital of Europe, France would not have nearly as much tragedy, German women would not be sexually assaulted by refugees.

But ofc you don't care about that

Actually I do. Very much so. You can see for yourself in some other threads regarding Islam.

And thank you again, for showing me how little ability to think leavers have. All the problems you mentioned have something to do with Muslims and/or refugees. They have nothing to do with inter-EU migration. Next, all the problems have nothing to do with the EU, but with failures within those countries, Sweden to address the problem and tackle it when it first surfaced, France for not working harder to integrate immigrants from their former colonies. And in fact the worst example you could have chosen was Germany, Merkel said yes we can. Most of the EU said **** off.

Too easy.
Original post by inhuman

Nationalism is sad.

It doesn't matter though. You will see what's gonna happen :wink: good luck

Globalist zealotry and utopianism is dangerous. Expansionism causes mass misery, and has failed throughout history. And humans are tribal, to some degree all of us are, it is evolutionary. Remainers claim to be above it, but the irony is how tribal their behaviour and thinking is.

Why do no remainers accept that Europe could have a nationalism or inward looking quality?

There are plenty of Europhiles into diversity only up to the point of white Europeans, they believe in the supremacy of white christian culture, and like Europe for what are more trivial cultural differences.

There are large parts of Europe where you go for miles and all you have is local culture and food-Germany, Italy, bits of France and Spain. And even where there is something foreign it is only from a neighboring European country. Yet, in the UK, you can get Indian, Chinese, Thai, Turkish, food in the middle of nowhere. Our language and ties span the globe.

It seems it is OK to look outward to Europe and not the globe, and hence you are not a nationalist.

I could apply your exact logic and say that Europe cannot limit itself at Turkey, it needs to encompass Russia, Lebanon, Syria, Afghanistan..and more, otherwise it is parochial and nationalist. It doesn't make sense, humanity needs some demarcations- they are essential to civilization. Whats important is we manifest this in the best way. You over-simplify nationalism, and it's link to tribe, with a typically snobby remain attitude that you are above what are some fairly universal and established human traits. Would you choose a non ethnic, multi-religious British civic nationalism, over a pan-European nationalism , and consider it morally superior?

I think this is a question many remainers wouldn't want to answer, as
a)My wish for it doesn't fit their stereotype of leavers.
b)It might reveal things they don't want revealed, about their own beliefs

In fact the kind of fascism and racial bigotry remainers decry was tied up with expansionism and obliterating borders- Hitler exemplifies this.

And the very same people who baulk at the 'pooled sovereignty' of the British empire, will not accept, that, though not the same, any other form of expansionism could contain power imbalances, meglomania, or exploitation.
Ffs, it's been nearly two months and these mud-slinging threads are still going around. :rolleyes:
Original post by inhuman
Wrong and wrong.

Yes, most people, but only 52%. And it's what they wanted to see.

Thinking your view is better long term is not akin to me not thinking long term at all :facepalm:

You see now why I personally think leavers are idiots? Only half thought-through arguments that they parade as truths and reason. Hypocrites that accuse the other side of the very same things they do.

My reasons and points I debated were almost longer than my arm. In any case, unless you actually read official European Comission documents and minutes of various EU/EC meetings/pdf's, I highly doubt you did more research than I did.

I say this from a fairly neutral standoint, remain had nothing to offer. Literally, all they had was the status quo.

The best carrot they had, the single market access argument starts to look increasingly ropey when you see that the EU is actually really quite protectionist in itself.

We tried to negotiate, we tried to change the EU from the inside, somthing we had been doing for a very long time.....we failed.

Truely I don't know which decision was best and nor do you. I anycase, i'm not intested in any debates across the internet, what is done is done, now suck it up, pull together as a nation and get on with it.
Reply 72
Original post by Pegasus2
My reasons and points I debated were almost longer than my arm. In any case, unless you actually read official European Comission documents and minutes of various EU/EC meetings/pdf's, I highly doubt you did more research than I did.

I say this from a fairly neutral standoint, remain had nothing to offer. Literally, all they had was the status quo.

The best carrot they had, the single market access argument starts to look increasingly ropey when you see that the EU is actually really quite protectionist in itself.

We tried to negotiate, we tried to change the EU from the inside, somthing we had been doing for a very long time.....we failed.

Truely I don't know which decision was best and nor do you. I anycase, i'm not intested in any debates across the internet, what is done is done, now suck it up, pull together as a nation and get on with it.

I am not part of this nation. I don't have to suck it up. I just don't like people bullying and lying to win a debate and being hypocrites.

Forget every political motivation. Why do a large majority of experts in a wide array of fields say Brexit is bad for the UK? Are they all unable to leave politics aside and on top just happen to be politically on the Remain side?
Original post by inhuman
Actually I do. Very much so. You can see for yourself in some other threads regarding Islam.

And thank you again, for showing me how little ability to think leavers have. All the problems you mentioned have something to do with Muslims and/or refugees. They have nothing to do with inter-EU migration. Next, all the problems have nothing to do with the EU, but with failures within those countries, Sweden to address the problem and tackle it when it first surfaced, France for not working harder to integrate immigrants from their former colonies. And in fact the worst example you could have chosen was Germany, Merkel said yes we can. Most of the EU said **** off.

Too easy.

They are everything to do with the multicultural globalisation fueled garbage the EU has promoted for the past 30 years. Not just Muslims/refugees, immigrants which we cannot do anything about thanks to freedom of movement. Sweden could not have done so without mass deportations, members of France's former colonies are not the ones committing the atrocities, and Merkel opened the floodgates not just to Germany, but to Europe.

lmao t r a s h
Reply 74
They are everything to do with the multicultural globalisation fueled garbage the EU has promoted for the past 30 years. Not just Muslims/refugees, immigrants which we cannot do anything about thanks to freedom of movement. Sweden could not have done so without mass deportations, members of France's former colonies are not the ones committing the atrocities, and Merkel opened the floodgates not just to Germany, but to Europe.

lmao t r a s h

You see, hence leavetards.

No point responding to a comment that is wholly wrong and my previous point has already pointed out why.

But don't act surprised or pissed off if people are so upset about the result, if the winners are mostly lying jackasses.

ps freedom of movement will continue even post Brexit. Any access to the EU market requires this. Or are you that arrogant that you think for the amazing UK there will be an exception?
1) I don't want to be ruled by Brussels
2) The EU is no longer the trade union it used to be
3) I agree with free movement, and we can have it without the EU

Please don't throw around the 'leave voters are racists and want no foreigners' stereotype - as an example, my Mum is Brazilian and voted leave, my Dad's parents came from Asia in the 50s/60s and he voted leave. I have two very good Polish friends and I wouldn't want them kicked out of the country, I just feel the EU isn't what we need anymore.
Original post by inhuman
You see, hence leavetards.

No point responding to a comment that is wholly wrong and my previous point has already pointed out why.

But don't act surprised or pissed off if people are so upset about the result, if the winners are mostly lying jackasses.

ps freedom of movement will continue even post Brexit. Any access to the EU market requires this. Or are you that arrogant that you think for the amazing UK there will be an exception?

You mean no point responding to a comment which rebutted each statement.

This is coming from the side that preached we would be in a tumultuous recession, or that Brexit would cause WW3? lmao deluded

Freedom of movement is one of the main areas for concern. It would be political suicide for any government who didn't seek to end it.
Reply 77
Original post by otah007
1) I don't want to be ruled by Brussels
2) The EU is no longer the trade union it used to be
3) I agree with free movement, and we can have it without the EU

Please don't throw around the 'leave voters are racists and want no foreigners' stereotype - as an example, my Mum is Brazilian and voted leave, my Dad's parents came from Asia in the 50s/60s and he voted leave. I have two very good Polish friends and I wouldn't want them kicked out of the country, I just feel the EU isn't what we need anymore.

That's akin to the Mexicans voting Trump. I made it, better not let anyone else follow me.

Yours is a very selfish attitude. And your qualms are not even unique, many people in other EU countries feel the same, but you don't hear Germans or French or Italians crying about leaving because of them.

It is also not wholly appropriate. How many laws does the EU actually make for Britain? How many of those are ones the UK wouldn't have had? How much is actually just regulation that you will need to follow anyway in order to access the market?
Reply 78
You mean no point responding to a comment which rebutted each statement.

This is coming from the side that preached we would be in a tumultuous recession, or that Brexit would cause WW3? lmao deluded

Freedom of movement is one of the main areas for concern. It would be political suicide for any government who didn't seek to end it.

You rebutted nothing. You just rephrased your original points that I showed to be wrong.

But freedom of movement will continue...how have you not accepted that yet?
Reply 79
Original post by inhuman
That's akin to the Mexicans voting Trump. I made it, better not let anyone else follow me.

Yours is a very selfish attitude. And your qualms are not even unique, many people in other EU countries feel the same, but you don't hear Germans or French or Italians crying about leaving because of them.

It is also not wholly appropriate. How many laws does the EU actually make for Britain? How many of those are ones the UK wouldn't have had? How much is actually just regulation that you will need to follow anyway in order to access the market?

The Mexicans trump would be keeping out aren't voting anyway they aren't in the country legally.

"I just don't like people bullying and lying to win a debate and being hypocrites."
That's funny that is all remain have, oh if you don't vote remain you are a racist.

How is 'patriotic feeling, principles, or efforts.' sad? Why should we give up this nation to a centralised authoritarian group?

"The NHS is nothing without foreigners...ahahahahaha"
Where did they say there would be no foreigners in the NHS? This seems to be remainers not being intelligent enough to realise that stopping uncontrolled immigration is not the same as stopping immigration or they realise that and deliberately change what is said to support their stance.

Quick Reply