The Student Room Group

Official AS & A2 Results Day 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CardiffKate
First, well done. They may not have been what you were expecting, but they're definitely good enough to see you to university.

You are genuinely keenly interested in QMUL, so set yourself up somewhere quiet with good phone reception and be ready to sell yourself (in a clam and collected manner!). There is no harm in calling them up.
Make sure you have your UCAS Track/Clearing numbers to hand before you call. They will want to know your grades and will most likely give you the same answer they already have at this point, but you can ask to be kept in consideration or 'on hold' in case they have spaces available closer to the end of the Clearing period (which differs by university and each Clearing period).

If you get chance reiterate all the positives you have mentioned in your personal statement and and other extras you think may be relevant.

Finally, depending on the outcome of that call, don't be too disheartened. You have a solid set of grades and there is no reason you won't still be able to call around other unis (in addition to your insurance choice) and re-evaluate.

I wish you the absolute best of luck with this. Go get 'em!

Thanks again for the reply. Well my insurance is now unconditional, it's just that I really want to go to QMUL since I have friends there and already made new friends who are going there on the internet! It's just heart breaking.

Thank you
Original post by dawideksoltysik
I don't know what to do. I just got my AS results and I got these results:

Media AQA: B
Product Design AQA: C
Geography AQA: D

I am really not happy with geography and my media coursework mark went down by 10 marks after exam board moderation. I have been advised to stay and continue with these alevels at my sixth form and to retake the geography unit 1 paper next year as this is what dragged me down.

Is this the right pathway, do you think I can succed with getting A BB next year if I put lot's of work in?

You can absolutely succeed if you put your mind to it. These results are not bad.
The first thing I would do is ask to get your geog paper back so you and your teacher can look over it and pinpoint what went wrong.
This does look like a sensible pathway to me. What alternatives are you considering?
Original post by Mia66
You can, but also be aware that the remark could go down.

Think I might go for it because even if I do get marked down by a couple of marks I'll still have the B, but I'm not too sure about the current remark system😭 Apparently you have to spot a mistake in the marking first?!

That's something you will need to speak to your exams officer about. They'll know all about remarks :smile:
Original post by dawideksoltysik
I don't know what to do. I just got my AS results and I got these results:

Media AQA: B
Product Design AQA: C
Geography AQA: D

I am really not happy with geography and my media coursework mark went down by 10 marks after exam board moderation. I have been advised to stay and continue with these alevels at my sixth form and to retake the geography unit 1 paper next year as this is what dragged me down.

Is this the right pathway, do you think I can succed with getting A BB next year if I put lot's of work in?

it all depends on how hard you work, really :smile: don't let those grades linger around if you know you can and will do better! they don't mean anything to what you could get next year
I got AAAC - As in English, History and Psychology, and the C in German
I was expecting to get a low mark in German but I really wasn't expecting a high mark in psych - I've decided I'm gonna drop german instead of psych now, which completely changes my plans!
It's not always as difficult as you think. The hard part is getting into the university, not switching between courses. Ring up and ask or drop them an email!

Basically they offered me and english course but I really want to do law. Problem is if I enrol in english.....what if i can't change to law
Reply 9006
My grades were not great or expected, but I got ABC and somehow Warwick still accepted me for an AAB course?

Warwick have been quite lenient this year.
Did anyone apply to Warwick and missed their grades but still got in?
Original post by Nirgilis

Have you called Southampton to let you know that you are getting a remark?

Yes, I called them and emailed them a very heartfelt email about how much I wish to study there haha!
But hopefully I get the marks I need from the remark and can be accepted into the Uni on the basis of my grades not how much I begged them ahah.
Thanks a lot to everybody here for their help and assistance. Despite my huge sadness and gutting results of CDD, with your help and a lot of witty phone calls, I managed to secure a place for Computer Science BSc at Goldsmiths UoL! That's normally an entry requirement of ABB!Thanks guys, I finally feel a lot better, and can smile again :biggrin:
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
Have your firm uni given you a timescale or a deadline as to when you need to accept or reject their offer?

I wouldn't call up the uni because I'd be thinking (whilst I'm phoning them, they could be phoning me). I'd wait just for now and hear from the other uni you want to go to.

How long as it been? Give it at least 30 mins then phone again.

Nope they haven't.

Last time I called the other uni was around 9am and that was already the second time I called them.
Original post by nihil_nimis
Thank you, is it worth doing it though, like will it give me a better chance at an A overall at A2 ? And was it a lot of work doing C2 in year 13 ?

It was a bit of work ovcourse but it could be that big difference between a grade. However, if you stick with what you got and focus on your A2 units and do just as well on them .. then you would get an A like it's a walk in the park. So your choice.
I got AACD with the As in economics and maths, c in chemistry and d in biology for my AS results. Do you think I will be predicted higher than what I achieved? And what universities do you think I could get into?
Original post by Onica
My grades were not great or expected, but I got ABC and somehow Warwick still accepted me for an AAB course?

Warwick have been quite lenient this year.
Did anyone apply to Warwick and missed their grades but still got in?

Congrats, for what course ?
anyone got into RVC to study vetmed???
Original post by Reda2
Thanks again for the reply. Well my insurance is now unconditional, it's just that I really want to go to QMUL since I have friends there and already made new friends who are going there on the internet! It's just heart breaking.

Thank you

Give that call your best shot, that way you know you've done all you can. Out of interest, where is your insurance choice?

I promise you're going to have the time of your life wherever you go. University is the best time of your life!
You can absolutely succeed if you put your mind to it. These results are not bad.
The first thing I would do is ask to get your geog paper back so you and your teacher can look over it and pinpoint what went wrong.
This does look like a sensible pathway to me. What alternatives are you considering?

I was considering doing media and product design at my school and find if i can do graphic design at a different school becyase i want to do this at uni but my school doesen't offer it - what's your opinion?

I'm also worried as all my friends dropped out and are going to do apprenticeships and my media coursework got marked down so much that it's actually unbelievable!
I looked at my physics more closely. I got a low c in one module(unit 4) and high a*s in the other two so I'm going to get it remarked. That one exam brought my whole grade down. I looked at the mark scheme and I don't see why I got so much lower than I should have.
Original post by TheMathsMan
It was a bit of work ovcourse but it could be that big difference between a grade. However, if you stick with what you got and focus on your A2 units and do just as well on them .. then you would get an A like it's a walk in the park. So your choice.

Thanks for the advice, is A2 maths a big step up from AS ?
Omg i got 4a* - i am in shock!!!!!
Sealed the warwick offer for morse!!!!!!
BU still can't see that I'm in Clearing and told me to phone back at 3pm when Track updates to allow Clearing choices to be made :frown: But she asked me why I wanted to do the course and apparently it is 'exceptionally likely' that I will be made an offer...

... that's good, right? :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest