The Student Room Group

A Level results not good. Rejected by firm. Insurance not what I want.

Hi there,

So I got BDD. I applied for International Marketing and the grades required for that was BBC.
I got a B in English Language & Literature.
D In Economics. For AS I got a C.
and a D for Philosophy (a grade up from AS)

I had contacted my firm and they suggest I email the person in charge of the marketing department to possibly change from international marketing to other marketing courses that set lower conditions. But instead of emailing I might apply for a clearing place for public relations and advertising as it is similar to marketing but it is more english-media based so my strengths will be seen in this course a lot more than marketing.

Although, I have yet to contact my insurance uni. Things are complicated as I requested a course change from Journalism to Marketing which my firm uni did accept whereas my insurance uni didn't. As I was too occupied with exams I didn't want to negotiate with my insurance uni as my firm was enough.

SO should I just go through clearing and see what happens? Or just forget about it and retake? My friends are saying to just go through clearing anyways and if I don't have any offers, I should retake.
But is there anyone with grades like me out there?

I know I can do better but I was so distracted by recent circumstances and had to attend counselling. So some say I should just settle down this year and retake. :/
Original post by Hai_Ann
Hi there,

So I got BDD. I applied for International Marketing and the grades required for that was BBC.

I had contacted my firm and they suggest I email the person in charge of the marketing department to possibly change from international marketing to other marketing courses that set lower conditions. But instead of emailing I might apply for a clearing place for public relations and advertising as it is similar to marketing but it is more english-media based so my strengths will be seen in this course a lot more than marketing.

Although, I have yet to contact my insurance uni. Things are complicated as I requested a course change from Journalism to Marketing which my firm uni did accept whereas my insurance uni didn't. As I was too occupied with exams I didn't want to negotiate with my insurance uni as my firm was enough.

SO should I just go through clearing and see what happens? Or just forget about it and retake? My friends are saying to just go through clearing anyways and if I don't have any offers, I should retake.

I know I can do better but I was so distracted by recent circumstances and had to attend counselling. So some say I should just settle down this year and retake. :/

Hi,
We have a marketing and adverising course which maybe for you. Here's the link http://www.kingston.ac.uk/undergraduate-course/marketing-advertising/ You will be able to apply for it through clearing on our hotline
0800 0483 334 I hope it all works out for you :smile:

Emily
Student ambassador
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Hai_Ann
Hi there,

There's no harm in trying clearing :smile:
Original post by Hai_Ann
Hi there,

Hey There
I am sorry circumstances hindered you performance,But your Grades are not to bad as for what you already have, I suggest you try and apply through clearing because to be fair you have nothing to loose from trying right? So your friends might be right.

How about Business Management with Marketing?
Hi there -

You can give one of our Admissions Tutors a call for advice on 0300 555 4444. We offer courses in journalism, media and popular culture and advertising and marketing:

We also have a video on studying Journalism at Huddersfield

Good luck with whatever you decided to do!

If you need any further info, just let me know - Claire
Original post by Hai_Ann
Hi there,

Hi there,

You do have a lot of options available to you and clearing is indeed one of them. There is nothing to stop you from ringing universities and talking about potential offers they could make you. However you cannot accept any clearing offers until you are released from your previous Universities.

We do have journalism and marketing courses still available in clearing.

You can always contact our clearing team on 03330 432 414 or you can use our Live Chat system to talk online. They can give you specific advice about your situation and can talk you through the options you have.

I hope this helps, good luck.

Jack
University of Gloucestershire
Not sure this is what you will want to hear, but marketing, advertising and pr companies don't necessarily favour graduate applicants with degrees in those professions, (and this is particularly true of the larger companies), as they prefer to train graduates themselves, rather than un-teach them someone else's views and methods.
Original post by Hai_Ann
Hi there,

Hi!
Clearing is an opportunity to re-evaluate and review your choices now that youknow your results. We have Marketing, Advertising and Journalism coursesavailable through clearing: www.derby.ac.uk/clearing/
. Our clearing hotline number is 01332 592016, our advisors will talk you through it all.
Good luck, Louise

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending