The Student Room Group

Ocr as level chemistry new spec- result?

what did you get??
I got a D and was expecting a B, wondering if its just me that did worse than I thought??
Reply 1
I got a D as well but got A in bio and c in maths would they still consider me to take medicine
I got a B and thought I would've got a B if not I would've scraped an A but overall I'm happy
I got a C but was expecting an A/B but Biology OCR I got an A and was not expecting it!
Original post by 2kk2
I got a D as well but got A in bio and c in maths would they still consider me to take medicine

most universities would not take you on ACD grades as many students get AAAA/AAAB at AS who are aspiring to do medicine but you may get lucky and find a uni willing to take you so don't sign it off too soon.
Original post by angelscity
what did you get??
I got a D and was expecting a B, wondering if its just me that did worse than I thought??

I got a B and was expecting and targeted an A, and all my friends got a grade or 2 below what they were supposed to. So perhaps new spec made a difference and teachers weren't prepared for what was coming?
Reply 6
really badly failed chemistry but that wad due to my lack of study in it. hoping to get a B next year for A2. tips on how to do better?
Reply 7
Original post by cxcoaj
really badly failed chemistry but that wad due to my lack of study in it. hoping to get a B next year for A2. tips on how to do better?

I got a B in Chemistry this year for AS, OCR and I came from not doing exams for two years since secondary school, it was scary but this is what I did.

The tips I would give is the quote: 'All work no play makes Jack a dull boy'

Make sure you revise for around 2-4 hours (if you have the time) on a weekend, however honestly, do not spend all your time studying. It actually has the opposite effect and you start to forget things. You need to have a balance and try to make a tune, song or pattern in your head to remember specific things such as different reactions, equations etc.

I would suggest trying to find which way you learn best, be that reading from books and websites, or watching videos and listening. Once you know that, you should focus on that learning style. For me, I learnt best through video and I have a playlist I kept on YouTube that helped me (mainly with Organic Chem) that I would be willing to show you if needed?

Last thing is, I know its hard, but pay attention in class. Write everything down even if it seems useless or you know it already because that repetitive action will help you remember! I was in my class with practically no friends (loner lmao), I had people I talked to, but not outside of class. This actually helped me concentrate more and do things on my own and work things out by myself like questions, equations and experiments, which helped me remember them better, instead of always asking a buddy for the answer.

After my classes, I did no revision that day. I didn't want to overdo it and it worked. I just relaxed after my classes and on the days I had off I revised for 2-4 hours, depending if I had homework and how close it was to exam time. Nearer the time however I did revise for more hours and went through ALL my notes and all the videos I could find, so that kind of structure may help you too (from personal experience).

Sorry for the long post. Drop me a message/reply for any further info if you need it. I have a method for remembering certain equations if you need it! Good luck! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest