The Student Room Group

AS Advice - Maths

I am very disappointed at the D I got for my AS maths today. I need advice on how to move on from this. Has anyone been in a similar situation and managed to improve by resitting? Please let me know your thoughts and advice on getting better.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by h1347698
I am very disappointed at the D I got for my AS maths today. I need advice on how to move on from this. Has anyone been in a similar situation and managed to improve by resitting? Please let me know your thoughts and advice on getting better.

What did you get in other subjects?
What is the breakdown of the mark?

Once you start learning C3 and C4, which build on C1 and C2 knowledge, you will realise just how much better and easier C1 and C2 become. Therefore it's definitely possible to improve by resitting :yep:
Reply 3

Keep your chin up, its not the end of the world. I got my A2 grades today and I ended up with a good grade after getting a U at AS! There's always hope, maths is something you must work hard at and as others have said C3 and C4 will help you get a much better grade should you wish to resit :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by L33t
Keep your chin up, its not the end of the world. I got my A2 grades today and I ended up with a good grade after getting a U at AS! There's always hope, maths is something you must work hard at and as others have said C3 and C4 will help you get a much better grade should you wish to resit :smile:

Thanks! its really good to hear that you were ok in the end. What did you use - resources etc to improve?
I got a D in Further Maths originally and resat it, obtaining an A today.
Reply 6
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
I got a D in Further Maths originally and resat it, obtaining an A today.

Well done, do you have any tips in studying for it again alongside A levels?
dw i got a D as well in maths, have to resit because my school accepts C for maths
Well done, do you have any tips in studying for it again alongside A levels?

I crammed mine very late as I was working full time and managed to only get leave towards the end.

But I would tell you learn the content early and do tons of book questions. And then hammer papers. Practice makes perfect. Good luck.
Reply 9
You will definitely find previous modules easier some time through the A2 course, and most knowledge needed for C1 and C2 are used in C3 and C4, so when you resit (which I would suggest you do), you won't have to specificly revise for most of the AS modules. I for example got a D in further maths last year. Got my results earlier today for A2, and managed to get an A in further maths overall, after resitting previous modules and also doing well in the A2 modules. You can do it, just don't be demotivated if it takes a while for it to click :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 10
Thanks! its really good to hear that you were ok in the end. What did you use - resources etc to improve?

I just did as many papers as possible. I highly recommend physics and maths tutor: http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/a-level-maths-papers/ for A-Level practice. Do all the past papers and the "solomon" and "Elmwood" papers to get a broad range of easy to hard questions. If you're doing edexcel maths i'd recommend the bronze/ silver/ gold papers too.

My teachers in mathematics have always told me; do one hour out of college for every one hour in college for your maths revision. So I did 5 hours of maths a week minimum as I had 5 one hour lessons per week.

I am not someone who is 'naturally good' at maths, it doesn't come instinctually to me like it does a lot of people but if you practice and work hard at it you'll succeed in the end i'm sure.

Good luck for the future!

EDIT: Additional resources:

Hegarty maths: https://mathswebsite.com/

Exam solutions: http://www.examsolutions.net/
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest