The Student Room Group

Written work to Oxford

Hi!How do you send written work to Oxford university as part of your application? I have to send 2 essays by 10th November but I don't know how I do this! Do I send it via post? If so, to what address?Also, it says here https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/applying-to-oxford/written-work?wssl=1 that you have to complete a cover sheet as well, and it says to download it from that page, but it's nowhere on that page! Where will I be able to find it?
Reply 1
At my school you just do the written work...your teacher comments on it... and the uni admissions office sends it for you
Which course tho?
Reply 2
Original post by BEARichards
Hi!How do you send written work to Oxford university as part of your application? I have to send 2 essays by 10th November but I don't know how I do this! Do I send it via post? If so, to what address?Also, it says here https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/applying-to-oxford/written-work?wssl=1 that you have to complete a cover sheet as well, and it says to download it from that page, but it's nowhere on that page! Where will I be able to find it?

That page also tells you that your college will give you instructions once you have actually applied.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

From my portfolio of essays I chose two to be marked by my tutor. Along with my essays, he also filled out the cover sheet that I downloaded from the university website.*Next, I put both essays (with cover sheet) into an A4 hardback envelope and sent the letter first class with tracked delivery plus insurance etc. to the admissions officer at the college handling my application.

Make sure that you send the ORIGINAL essays with comments in PEN INK: do not send a photocopy. Before you send the original essays photocopy them (complete with comments) and keep them safe - you'll need to know exactly what you've written and what your tutor has said about your essays when you go for your interview. You'll most likely be asked about whether or not you've since adapted your ideas.
Original post by jneill
That page also tells you that your college will give you instructions once you have actually applied.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How on Earth did I miss that?? Thank you :rofl3:
Original post by BioOx
At my school you just do the written work...your teacher comments on it... and the uni admissions office sends it for you
Which course tho?

We don't have a uni admissions office here at our school, have to do everything myself :frown: I'm applying for French and Linguistics! Are you applying for a course at Oxford?
Reply 6
We don't have a uni admissions office here at our school, have to do everything myself :frown: I'm applying for French and Linguistics! Are you applying for a course at Oxford?

Yes!
Biological sciences

hey, I've just graduated with languages - ask me if you have any questions!

(It's unlikely you'll be asked about your teacher's comments on written work in an interview btw)*
This is how it worked for me:

1. Apply
2. Invitation to interview, accompanied by an email from the college with the details of what I needed to send
3. Downloaded two 'written work cover sheets' from the email they sent, and had them filled out by the teachers that marked the work
4. Scanned the completed cover sheets along with written work into the computer as PDF files
5. Sent to the college

What type of work you should send is dependent on the course you apply for, and any other specifics like if you should post, email, whatever, is dependent on the college. They give you all the information you need, it's not scary! Just think about any work you've done that you think shows your abilities well, and make sure you follow the instructions. I was at an HE college and did everything myself and managed fine.
Wait, so when do you actually have to send the written work?
Original post by Rhaenys10
Wait, so when do you actually have to send the written work?
It would appear to be when you have been invited to do so. You have plenty of time to get this organised, so try not to worry about it now. Once the Results Day rush has passed, you can contact Oxford Admissions and ask for clarification if you need to know before you submit your application for 15th October.
Original post by Minerva
It would appear to be when you have been invited to do so. You have plenty of time to get this organised, so try not to worry about it now. Once the Results Day rush has passed, you can contact Oxford Admissions and ask for clarification if you need to know before you submit your application for 15th October.

Thanks a lot.. Am I supposed to send it by post or..?
Reply 12

Your college will tell you what, when and how to send it.

All in good time, AFTER you apply.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
I don't know, but you have plenty of time to check it out directly with them if you don't get sent personal instructions, so try not to worry about it now. The more important thing is to give some thought as to what you might want to submit.
Original post by Minerva
I don't know, but you have plenty of time to check it out directly with them if you don't get sent personal instructions, so try not to worry about it now. The more important thing is to give some thought as to what you might want to submit.

You're right. As an international student, that's quite a problem for me. I do intend to call someone at the university for more details. Do you think I'm going to be at a disadvantage? Should I write something specifically for this?
You're right. As an international student, that's quite a problem for me. I do intend to call someone at the university for more details. Do you think I'm going to be at a disadvantage? Should I write something specifically for this?

The written work required is usually a marked essay. You will be told what is required nearer the time and your teacher will help you choose what to submit.
If you're abroad they'll accept it by email, for sure.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending