The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ib_hopeful
Ah that's great news! I'm an international student and not at all familiar with the UKCAT.

You don't have to tell me your score, but what score would you say is good enough?

Hi there,

I got 650 if I remember correctly and those in my year tend to have similar, if not slightly higher, scores than that.

Barts love,
Will
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Hey!!
On the website it said the following:
All eligible applicants must have the following subjects at GCSElevel, at grades AAABBB (777666 for GSCEs taken from 2015) or above (in anyorder) to include Biology (or Human Biology), Chemistry, English Language, and Mathematics (or Additional Mathematics or Statistics). The Science Double Award may substitute all sciences at GCSE.
But I got
AB = Core & Additional science respectively
B = Maths
B = English language
1A* and 5 other Bs in my other subjects

Would I be able to apply because my subjects grades dont add up to whats requiremed even though Im doing the same subjects just not triple science? So because im not doing triple science would the requirement what would the requirement for me be, because I'm sure 3 of those grades are for Biology, Chemistry and Physics
Original post by natalia.medicine
Hello. Could you maybe explain to me how medicine works at Barts and the London because I went to Whitechapel a few weeks ago and couldn't understand where medicine is taught exactly. Thanks in advance!

Original post by RollerBall
It's primarily taught in the Perrin lecture theatre in years 1 + 2. It's located just behind the Royal London (big glass building), with a few tutorials (anatomy, mostly.) down the road at Queen Mary in Mile End, approx 15 minute walk.

In years 3+, lecture blocks (2-3 weeks at a time) are scattered around; some are in Whitechapel but in the Garrod building (near the Perrin), some are at the Homerton, some are at Barts hospital in Smithfield. Obviously clinical placements are either in infirm hospitals (Whipps X, Homerton, Newham, Barts, The Royal London, Queens, King Georges), or out firms (Harlow, Broomfield, Colchester, Southend). GPs are all over the place in the East.

You can google all these place names and look on street view if you don't know the area that well.

Hi there, thanks for getting in touch!

Thanks Rollerball for the input - you've pretty much got it covered!

I'd just add that there are two Medical School campuses; one in Whitechapel on the same site as the Royal London Hospital. This is the location of the Perrin Lecture Theatre, the Students Union and the Garrod Building (the main Medical School building). The second campus is in West Smithfield on the same site as Barts Hospital. Although the majority of teaching is on the Whitechapel campus, there is some teaching at the West Smithfield Campus. And, as Rollerball mentioned, there are also Anatomy and Physiology practicals at the QMUL campus in Mile End.

If you have any more questions, please get in touch.

Barts love,
Will
Original post by Medstudent999
Hi there!

I understand there are some formal events at Barts, should I therefore buy a black suit now in advance? or are these events something only select few go to.
Thanks in advance for taking the time to read,Regards,

Original post by RollerBall
There's plenty of opportunities to go to black tie events, particularly if you're a member of a sport club.

In first year, there's a boat ball at the end of freshers, Christmas sports dinners & the assocation dinner at the end of the year. Halfway dinner at the end of 3rd year +/- any other society dinners.

Hi there, thanks for the question!

Thanks again for your input Rollerball.

I'd just add that contrary the ethos of some other medical schools, black tie events aren't really an integral part of the social scene at Barts. With the exception of the Freshers Boat Ball, there aren't many black tie events that are attended by the whole the year. There are a few sporting social events throughout the year where formal dress is encouraged by some teams. However, an expensive suit is certainly not an essential commodity for all Barts students. I've got away with occasionally borrowing one for my first few years!

I hope this helps. Get back to me if you've got any other queries.

Barts love,
Will
Original post by FemaleBo55
Hey!!
On the website it said the following:
All eligible applicants must have the following subjects at GCSElevel, at grades AAABBB (777666 for GSCEs taken from 2015) or above (in anyorder) to include Biology (or Human Biology), Chemistry, English Language, and Mathematics (or Additional Mathematics or Statistics). The Science Double Award may substitute all sciences at GCSE.
But I got
AB = Core & Additional science respectively
B = Maths
B = English language
1A* and 5 other Bs in my other subjects

Would I be able to apply because my subjects grades dont add up to whats requiremed even though Im doing the same subjects just not triple science? So because im not doing triple science would the requirement what would the requirement for me be, because I'm sure 3 of those grades are for Biology, Chemistry and Physics

Hi there, thanks for the question.

Unfortunately, I'm not up to date with the latest policies in regards to entry requirements. You'd have to contact admissions to get a definitive answer: 020 7882 8478.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Barts love,
Will
Hey again,
Would it be possible to get a current medical student's email who would be willing to read over my personal statement drafts and give me a critique of it? Or is that not allowed? I don't really have many people to ask for feedback, and I don't see my teachers for another 3 weeks.
Thank you
Questions about ‪#‎Clearing‬ and ‪#‎Adjustment‬ at QMUL? Chat to our staff online today from 3-6pm: http://ow.ly/Rbvb3038UyD
‪#‎futureQMUL‬

Cp-P0F6WAAAJClESm.jpg
Hi,

How is the SJT score used to decide who gets an offer? I know total interview and SJT score combined is scored out of 50 but how much is the SJT worth? Also is 793 UKCAT with 480 tariff competitive or is the tariff too low?
Thanks
Original post by 07cdominic
Hey again,
Would it be possible to get a current medical student's email who would be willing to read over my personal statement drafts and give me a critique of it? Or is that not allowed? I don't really have many people to ask for feedback, and I don't see my teachers for another 3 weeks.
Thank you

Hi there, thanks for getting in touch.

If you post on one of the other Medicine threads or Facebook pages, you may find someone who is willing to help you out! There are also a few threads on TSR specifically for personal statement help.

I hope this helps.

Barts love,
Will
Original post by manlike99
Hi,

How is the SJT score used to decide who gets an offer? I know total interview and SJT score combined is scored out of 50 but how much is the SJT worth? Also is 793 UKCAT with 480 tariff competitive or is the tariff too low?
Thanks

Hi there, thanks for the questions.

I'm not too sure about the SJT as it wasn't in use when I applied. You should probably get in touch with admissions who can answer your questions: 020 7882 8478.

Barts love,
Will
Hiya,

Reslly interested in applying.
However, I feel like I would be at a disadvantage to students who had taken a full set of AS results this year, as I have only taken 2 due to A Level reforms. I got 2 As but even so my UCAS tariff will not nearly be as high as someone who had taken 4, for obvious reasons.

Does the university take A Level reforms into account?
Where it mentions the UCAS tariff, how many UCAS points are they looking for as I achieved AAAA today in my AS' and I don't know if I need more stuff to bumb up my points?
Original post by Orlanda
Hiya,

Reslly interested in applying.
However, I feel like I would be at a disadvantage to students who had taken a full set of AS results this year, as I have only taken 2 due to A Level reforms. I got 2 As but even so my UCAS tariff will not nearly be as high as someone who had taken 4, for obvious reasons.

Does the university take A Level reforms into account?

Hello,

The minimun entry requirements are three A-levels and one AS-level (AAAb), although you could perhaps sort it out with your school to do an AS and A level all in one year and pick up and extra AS. Of these, you need two Science A levels from Chemistry, Biology, Physics or Maths. Both Chemistry and Biology at AS to a minimum of grade B. In Year 13, 3 of the accepted A levels must be taken over not more than 2 years study. You can find this info here: http://www.qmul.ac.uk/undergraduate/coursefinder/courses/80040.html

I think you should contact the school of Medicine and Dentistry though to ask their advice as there might be a lot of people in a similar situation. Their contact details can be found here: http://www.smd.qmul.ac.uk/contact/#UG
(but it might best to leave it until next week as they are probably very busy at the moment!)
If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to contact!
-Sarah
Now with some schools not taking AS levels, does the AS level we drop still count as tariff points?
Now with some schools not taking AS levels, does the AS level we drop still count as tariff points?

Hey!
If you see the post above you can see the entry requirements do include a B at AS level: http://www.qmul.ac.uk/undergraduate/coursefinder/courses/80040.html
However with the recent changes it might be worth contacting the school (details in the reply above) http://www.smd.qmul.ac.uk/contact/#UG although it might be best to save this until next week as they're very busy at the moment!
Hope this helps! -Sarah
Original post by Queen Mary University of London
Hey!
If you see the post above you can see the entry requirements do include a B at AS level: http://www.qmul.ac.uk/undergraduate/coursefinder/courses/80040.html
However with the recent changes it might be worth contacting the school (details in the reply above) http://www.smd.qmul.ac.uk/contact/#UG although it might be best to save this until next week as they're very busy at the moment!
Hope this helps! -Sarah

Yes I did ring up, the lady who answered was really unhelpful though, she didn't even know whether an EPQ counts as tariff points(which I know it does). Thanks anyway
Yes I did ring up, the lady who answered was really unhelpful though, she didn't even know whether an EPQ counts as tariff points(which I know it does). Thanks anyway

I'm sorry to hear that! This may be because the departments are all really busy today. I would recommend maybe dropping the department an email explaining everything and that might find the right person, or calling back next week. Let me know though and if you can't find anything I'll see if I can find out for you! -Sarah
Original post by Queen Mary University of London
I'm sorry to hear that! This may be because the departments are all really busy today. I would recommend maybe dropping the department an email explaining everything and that might find the right person, or calling back next week. Let me know though and if you can't find anything I'll see if I can find out for you! -Sarah

thank you :smile:
Hi Will,

Does Barts offer full cadaveric dissection?
Hello I really need your help!

Okay so I really want to apply to QMUL London but my AS results are 4 As (Maths, biology, chemistry, Economics) and 670 average UkCat.
Do you think I should still apply?

Thank you

Latest

Trending

Trending