The Student Room Group

What do I do now?

I got BBCE at AS level. B in Economics, B in Gov. and Politics, C in History and an E in Mathematics. I want to do something financial related at uni, so either accounting and finance or economics. If I resit Maths AS would I still be able to get into a top university? And with my current grades can I go to a top university?
Usually teachers will predict you up to one grade above what you achieved at AS, so you could get AAB predictions even without resitting. Universities will rarely make an offer based on AS results, so while your maths result may have been disappointing, I would recommend dropping it and focusing on your other three subjects to ensure you get good results at A2. You can use the UCAS Course Search to browse courses and their entry requirements :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
Usually teachers will predict you up to one grade above what you achieved at AS, so you could get AAB predictions even without resitting. Universities will rarely make an offer based on AS results, so while your maths result may have been disappointing, I would recommend dropping it and focusing on your other three subjects to ensure you get good results at A2. You can use the UCAS Course Search to browse courses and their entry requirements :smile:

THe problem with doing that is that the really prestigious universities state that you need maths at AS and I want to retake so I can get a higher maths grade.
Original post by The_Phlox
THe problem with doing that is that the really prestigious universities state that you need maths at AS and I want to retake so I can get a higher maths grade.

You must realise that the type f maths you do at a-level and within economics degrees is very grindy, calculus sort of based maths. Not proof based maths so really you don't have to be very intelligent to do well at it you just need to spend hours every night rote learning and memorising everything.

That's why you got an E. You didn't do that because you innately suck at maths (which I'm sure you know or you would not even consider an economics degree). You must accept that if you want a better grade in it and to do well doing an economics degree at uni you are going to need to rote learn a hell of a lot of maths for at least 2hours a night 5 nights a week.

If you can accept it. Do it. If not, drop the maths and just go for your accounting degree. You don't NEED to go for a prestigious uni, the work placements you get is way more important and right now you should focus on getting into a good uni period. The bonus of going to a prestigious one really is not all that when it comes to the career marketplace.

Quick Reply

Latest