The Student Room Group

Disasterous AS result - what do I do?

A bit of background:
I study English Lit, GovPol, History and Maths at AS and was predicted AAAA for this year. EngLit and History are reformed A Levels so the AS does not count but we did the exams anyway as 'pratice' for next year.
I have 10 A* 2 A at GCSE and went to a state school. I have always excelled at school and work excessively - I do at least 4 hours of work every evening after sixth form, read around the subjects, and have basically put everything I can into my education.

I am hoping to achieve a place at Oxford to study History beginnng in 2017.

I picked up my AS results this morning:
GovPol A (GOVP1 99 UMS GOVP2 85 UMS)
Maths A (C1 93 UMS C2 72 UMS D1 83 UMS) - I am dropping Maths and will not be taking it for A2, very pleased with my AS grade as I thought the exams had gone awfully!
EngLit A
History C

So there's the problem. I want to study History at a top university (ideally Oxford, St Andrews or Durham) and I only managed a C in AS History.
What do I do?
I know it doesn't count as it is a reformed A Level and it is a new spec so grades as a whole have been lower this year. But I am just so disappointed about my result, I really feel as if the exams went well, I thought I answered all of the questions well, especially the two essay questions which I thought went fantastically - source questions have never been my strength anyway. But apparently it didn't go very well at all! So I really don't know what to do. I love History and I love Oxford and that really is my dream but it doesn't seem at all like it will be a reality now. I am so upset and so confused as what to do, because I did not expect this at all. I know AS grades are techincally not part of the Oxford selection critera but that doesn't mean I can pretend this C didn't happen - the unis will be able to see it and despite my otherwise good academic record I just know it will put me at a disadvantage even if they say it won't.
So if anyone has any advice please send it my way. I am so lost, distraught, upset and confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you, and I hope you are all happy with your results.
I got lower than expected results this year to! I will be resorting the AS year to ensure I can get top marks.
You could optionally resist the whole AS year in history.
People will tell you not to worry but I think some pressure might be good!
What exam board was History AS?
Original post by nwmyname
What exam board was History AS?

AQA. I did History AS Option CO (Weimar Germany and Tudor England)
Reply 4
I think you should go for it anyway :smile:
Maybe get the script, and go through it with a teacher, so you can see where you went wrong, and see if you can improve exam technique, etc.
With a good reference, the C may be 'overlooked', if your teacher makes it clear that you are actually really amazing and hard working, just had one bad exam or something :smile:
Original post by amygracebroad

You've got a strong set of results there. There is no reason for you to feel an ounce of disappointment.

However, why are you doing history when you seem to be much better at other subjects?

4 hours of work a day to end up with a C in your favourite subject is not a great result to be taking forward as a subject to reading at Oxford.

SS
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by amygracebroad
AQA. I did History AS Option CO (Weimar Germany and Tudor England)

I think if you want, you can get a remark and it may boost your grades by a considerable amount.
Original post by Supersaps
You've got a strong set of results there. There is no reason for you to feel an ounce of disappointment.

However, why are you doing history when you seem to be much better at other subjects?

4 hours of work a day to end up with a C in your favourite subject is not a great result to be taking forward as a subject to reading at Oxford.

SS

Thanks very much.

See that is my problem because I feel like that is exactly what universities such as Oxford and St Andrews will think when they see my application.
However this C is a complete surprise, I am used to getting As in History and have not got less than a A all year, so I am pretty shocked with the result today. It has always been one of my best subjects, so I really don't know what to do. Even after all of this trauma today it is still the subject I love the most and the one I have worked hardest for.
I feel like when I process it all I might be able to start making some better decisions because at the minute I am in disbelief and trying to kid myself it didn't happen.
Hey- I am in a similar situation to you. I was predicted AAA and have ended up with AAD. The D was in physics and even though I didn't try as hard as I should have, I definitely wasn't expecting a D.
There is no point in resitting AS history if it is a reformed A-level as technically, you will be resitting it next year alongside the A2 content. Your result for history seems like an anomaly- especially since you've been getting As all year.
My advice would be to continue working really hard for history and aim for an A. Don't let this put you off. Maybe you had a really harsh examiner or something. It does seem really bizarre though, especially since you've been getting As in history and felt as though you had done really well.

Quick Reply

Latest