The Student Room Group

Warwick with these grades??

I know similar threads get posted a lot but most of them seem to be at the extremes.

I currently want to study Computer Science/Discrete Maths at Warwick, with the entry being A*AA, with A* in Maths.

I have just received my AS results for Maths, F. Maths, Physics and Computer Science, and having expected AAAA and ending up with ABBB (A in Computer Science), I am quite worried.

I only scraped an B in Maths, getting a 54 UMS in c2, compared to a 90 in c1 and only 64 in D1, and I will likely resit these.

I know I will get predicted an A* in computer science, as the teacher has told me, and I am also confident I can get an A* in Maths next year, and an A in Further Maths. However I am more worried about getting offers in the first place, as my AS grades are no where near the entry requirements, and my Personal Statement is very good, but not stellar.

I just want to know if I am likely to get an offer/interview with these grades/predictions, or if anyone previously has got an offer with similar AS results, regardless of the PS.
You can just call them and ask if they'll accept those grades or not because Warwick is where you really want to go.
Tell them what your predicated grades will be. Ask if you might get an offer with that.

Probably not a good idea to do that today though, as A Level results came out today and they're going to be really busy with Clearing.

You have time to fix your personal statement, just keep writing new ones and think about what makes you unique. Watch some YouTube videos on writing a good personal statement too, there's some good advice there. Don't write something like "Ever since I can remember I've always wanted to...", the people who read personal statements hate that.

I wouldn't worry too much though, there's always Clearing and Adjustment too. Universities tend to lower their grade requirements slightly around Clearing to fill up spaces, and if you get better grades than predicted you can go through Adjustment.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by catinsomehat
You can just call them and ask if they'll accept those grades or not because Warwick is where you really want to go.
Tell them what your predicated grades will be. Ask if you might get an offer with that.

Probably not a good idea to do that today though, as A Level results came out today and they're going to be really busy with Clearing.

You have time to fix your personal statement, just keep writing new ones and think about what makes you unique. Watch some YouTube videos on writing a good personal statement too, there's some good advice there. Don't write something like "Ever since I can remember I've always wanted to...", the people who read personal statements hate that.

I wouldn't worry too much though, there's always Clearing and Adjustment too. Universities tend to lower their grade requirements slightly around Clearing to fill up spaces, and if you get better grades than predicted you can go through Adjustment.

Ok, I'll call them after I go back and I've found out all of my predictions for certain. I'll also check out some of those YouTube videos, Thank You!
Original post by TJA TJA
Ok, I'll call them after I go back and I've found out all of my predictions for certain. I'll also check out some of those YouTube videos, Thank You!

Also Computer Science entry requirements at Warwick are:
A Level: AAA, including Mathematics
http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/g400/ (under Entry Requirements).
So if you don't get Discrete Mathematics you should hopefully at least get Computer Science there.

Course structure is here: http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/dcs/teaching/courses (Computer Science shares a common first year with other subjects).
Reply 4
Original post by catinsomehat
Also Computer Science entry requirements at Warwick are:
A Level: AAA, including Mathematics
http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/g400/ (under Entry Requirements).
So if you don't get Discrete Mathematics you should hopefully at least get Computer Science there.

Course structure is here: http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/dcs/teaching/courses (Computer Science shares a common first year with other subjects).

Oh ok, I didn't realize that the entry requirements were lower for straight computer science! That shouldn't be too bad as that's only 2 grades above my AS results.
Original post by TJA TJA
Oh ok, I didn't realize that the entry requirements were lower for straight computer science! That shouldn't be too bad as that's only 2 grades above my AS results.

Aim as high as you can :smile: people sometimes aim for one grade and get a slightly lower one than they wanted when results come out.
get predicted an A*/A in math and fm then u can apply to any cs course in the country

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending