The Student Room Group

Official AS & A2 Results Day 2016

Scroll to see replies

[QUOTE="manningA15;67036158"]How did you find the exams? Personally I found Russia a nightmare.
For English did you do Poems of the Decade? :smile:[/QUOTE

I found Russia went okay, apart from part C which was awful!! But China was harder fro me!!

And yes we did!!

:smile:
Original post by Nirgilis
If you're happy with your current grade, then I wouldn't remark the exam to be honest. It just depends on how much of a risk you feel like taking :wink:

well, basically it was I self taught further maths during my gap year and tbh it's a really solid performance before uni so even though it's not an a* , i think the main thing is that it'll help for uni . I probably won't remark, but thanks for the advice

(Hopefully actual a level grades become less and less important over time when applying to things like MSc or a job . . . )
Original post by SH0405
Check if you were close to an A*. If you were, it might be worth a remark, especially with those subjects. It's up to you though.

I'm remarking English.
I have a question about results if anyone here can help-
On one of my papers the score was listed as 90 points (UMS I believe) and an A grade (AQA Psychology Unit 4)- however when I converted this to raw marks using the AQA website when looking at grade boundaries it actually makes that paper an A*, not an A. Does anyone know how I can get this fixed? Its not a huge deal I guess but I don't understand why it has the wrong grade on it.Thanks
Reply 9264
Original post by emiloujess
I phoned Bournemouth again at 3 and the lady told me to check my emails... they gave me an offer I'm so happy right now! Just added it into Track :biggrin: Thanks to everyone who's helped me! x

That's great!!! I'm so happy for you. I hope you like it there.
Original post by OddFuturez
How do I convert them to raw marks

By using the grade boundries?
Original post by duncanjgraham

(Hopefully actual a level grades become less and less important over time when applying to things like MSc or a job . . . )

This is very, very true :yep:
Reply 9266
Original post by BasingstokeBoy
I have a question about results if anyone here can help-
On one of my papers the score was listed as 90 points (UMS I believe) and an A grade (AQA Psychology Unit 4)- however when I converted this to raw marks using the AQA website when looking at grade boundaries it actually makes that paper an A*, not an A. Does anyone know how I can get this fixed? Its not a huge deal I guess but I don't understand why it has the wrong grade on it.Thanks

Papers technically can't score an A*. It doesn't exist as a paper grade only a course grade.
Reply 9267
Hi guys, could someone possibly help me out here? I achieved an A in OCR economics for A-level, my AS UMS was 182 (163 without my resit) and this year I scored 180 for A2, so overall I got 362, my question is why was this not worth an A* grade? As far as I was aware I needed at least 80% overall and at least 90% across the A2 units which I've done? pls tell me if I'm missing something, thanks :smile:
Reply 9268
i got 1 ums off an A* in maths, given the changes to the remark system would it be worth requesting a remark for the lower scoring paper?
I don't know what to do
Either do English at SOAS or take a gap year and do law?
Original post by bethipayne
AS student here, took Government and Politics, History, Economics and English Literature - I was predicted all A's for the whole year, never believed it, set myself targets of AABB for this year, and just got my results: All A's, full marks in politics. I'm shaking, feeling slightly sick, and immensely overwhelmed.

To be honest I just wanted to ask if there's any A level students here that took 4 A levels in year 13? If so, how did you do? Did it impact your results, or do you think you did the same as you would've taking only 3? I love all of my subjects, and I've been struggling all year to decide which one to drop - today didn't help T_T I just really want to know whether, with taking 4 A levels, I can still get As or A*s in all of them!! Probably not, and it's not something I'm seriously considering, but curious either way...

Well done everyone, be proud of your results no matter what, and remember that these results aren't the be all, end all of your life

P.S sorry if this has already been asked/answered, but I can't go through all 450+ pages of this forum D:

Hi there! First of all congratulations on those awesome results!

I did Graphics, Photography, Maths and Business Studies in AS and got ABBC. I was disappointed at first as I really wanted an A in Graphics and Photography, but got B in both and meant even more hard work for me in Year 13. I recieved A for Maths and C for business which i was also extremely disappointed about. After a lot of discussion and frustration I decided to take all 4 subjects for Year 13. I applied to take architecture and my unis (UCL, Kent, Oxford Brookes, Nottingham Trent and Brighton) wanted a wide range of subjects and as Graphics and Photography fall into 'Art nd Design' I had to do Business also to try and win their hearts. And it worked! However, now I had two heavy coursework subjects, and business which i really wanted to jump up a grade on. Honestly speaking, it's hard. Its physically and mentally straining. However the fact that i enjoyed art subjects a lot I wasnt as frustrated with the work load and I naturally took the initiative to go HAM at both art subjects in the hopes of getting an A. Not only workload but keeping up with UMS calculations, seeing how many points i need to get an A etc really plays with your head. I can say that Year 13 was and will be the most stressful year of my life for the near future. My main source of motivation was my interest for arts and tje fact that i didnt do so well last year. So my advice would be, if you really have to, do it or if you have a deep interest in those subjects do it and organise yourself from the start of the year. See what subjects require more of your time and what subjects may need more preperation for revision. For your subjects i'd say revising and preparing for exams is key. You gotta start early. All the hard work finally paid off and I got 2 A*s for Graphics and Photography, and A for Maths and a B for Business Studies (after getting A in both papers this year; i got a B and a D for both papers last year). If you put in the work and are 100% determined, you will see the results.

I'm going University of Kent to study Architecture as UCL rejected me 😂

I hope this helps! Good luck for next year!
Original post by xxvine
I don't know what to do

Do not do anything you aren't going to absolutely love. If your heart isn't in it then it's a waste of time and money.
Original post by Yoyo57
i got 1 ums off an A* in maths, given the changes to the remark system would it be worth requesting a remark for the lower scoring paper?

For one mark its worth giving it a go :smile:

Original post by xxvine
I don't know what to do

If law is truely what you want then take a gap year, dont try switching once you've gotten to uni as that can be quite difficult.
Original post by Aph
Papers technically can't score an A*. It doesn't exist as a paper grade only a course grade.

On the AQA grade boundaries it says for that individual paper the maximum mark was 83, with 55 marks for an A, and 61 for an A*. I got 61, but it shows up as an A for that paper; if you can't get an A* on the paper why does it show that on the grade boundary sheet. I got an A overall in psychology.
Original post by xxvine
I don't know what to do

If you don't want to study english don't go to SOAS.

Have you looked elsewhere for law clearing places?
By remarking or retaking?
Reply 9276
Original post by BasingstokeBoy
On the AQA grade boundaries it says for that individual paper the maximum mark was 83, with 55 marks for an A, and 61 for an A*. I got 61, but it shows up as an A for that paper; if you can't get an A* on the paper why does it show that on the grade boundary sheet. I got an A overall in psychology.
it shows 'A*' as a means of showing the 90% thereashold as its easier to understand.
Original post by dilushlol

I did Graphics, Photography, Maths and Business Studies in AS and got ABBC. I was disappointed at first as I really wanted an A in Graphics and Photography, but got B in both and meant even more hard work for me in Year 13. I recieved A for Maths and C for business which i was also extremely disappointed about. After a lot of discussion and frustration I decided to take all 4 subjects for Year 13. I applied to take architecture and my unis (UCL, Kent, Oxford Brookes, Nottingham Trent and Brighton) wanted a wide range of subjects and as Graphics and Photography fall into 'Art nd Design' I had to do Business also to try and win their hearts. And it worked! However, now I had two heavy coursework subjects, and business which i really wanted to jump up a grade on. Honestly speaking, it's hard. Its physically and mentally straining. However the fact that i enjoyed art subjects a lot I wasnt as frustrated with the work load and I naturally took the initiative to go HAM at both art subjects in the hopes of getting an A. Not only workload but keeping up with UMS calculations, seeing how many points i need to get an A etc really plays with your head. I can say that Year 13 was and will be the most stressful year of my life for the near future. My main source of motivation was my interest for arts and tje fact that i didnt do so well last year. So my advice would be, if you really have to, do it or if you have a deep interest in those subjects do it and organise yourself from the start of the year. See what subjects require more of your time and what subjects may need more preperation for revision. For your subjects i'd say revising and preparing for exams is key. You gotta start early. All the hard work finally paid off and I got 2 A*s for Graphics and Photography, and A for Maths and a B for Business Studies (after getting A in both papers this year; i got a B and a D for both papers last year). If you put in the work and are 100% determined, you will see the results.

Thank you! I've had a little time to think about it, talk with friends/family, etc... As much as I love English Lit (the subject I'm thinking of dropping), I'm probably going to still drop it. There's a massive chunk of coursework to do (that I haven't yet started due to preoccupation with an EPQ), and, alongside this, I'm doing an EPQ... I just get the impression it'll be too much work, and I'll mess up this year T_T

Thank you so much for your reply, well done for your hard work, too!! Hope you have an awesome time at Kent!! ( ´ ` )ノ
Original post by dilushlol

Thank you! I've had a little time to think about it, talk with friends/family, etc... As much as I love English Lit (the subject I'm thinking of dropping), I'm probably going to still drop it. There's a massive chunk of coursework to do (that I haven't yet started due to preoccupation with an EPQ), and, alongside this, as I just mentioned, I'm doing an EPQ... I just get the impression it'll be too much work, and I'll mess up this year, which is the last thing I want T_T

Thank you so much for your reply, well done for your hard work, too!! It sounds like it genuinely paid off for you^^ Hope you have an awesome time at Kent!! ( ´ ` )ノ
Original post by Aph
it shows 'A*' as a means of showing the 90% thereashold as its easier to understand.

I understand that for the overall grades, but this is just the one paper. I know I didn't get an overall A*, I just don't understand why what I have on my results sheet isn't the same as what's on AQA's website. Who would I contact about this, my school, or should I email the exam board?

Quick Reply

Latest