The Student Room Group

Failed AS terribly, my life is in shambles :'(

Was expecting mediocre results anyways due to my lack of effort and revision but instead got worse than I could ever have imagined - 2 U's and an E. One of the U's being in Law, a subject I passionately wanted to study at Uni.

With those grades I'd imagine I can forget about Uni :frown: but I feel like if I can prove to my teachers within a month or so that I will work hard maybe they could predict me reasonable grades? Not only can I forget about Uni but I'm scared I may get kicked out of my sixth form as my sort of grades affect league tables. I am so extremely disappointed. You really do get out what you put in :frown:

Do we have to show our AS grades on our applications? Will lots of solid work experience and a good personal statement maybe help balance things out? I'm not sure how results are affected in relation to the new specifications so I'm honestly clueless rn? SOMEONE PLS HELP.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RZA17
Was expecting mediocre results anyways due to my lack of effort and revision but instead got worse than I could ever have imagined - 2 U's and an E. One of the U's being in Law, a subject I passionately wanted to study at Uni.

With those grades I'd imagine I can forget about Uni :frown: but I feel like if I can prove to my teachers within a month or so that I will work hard maybe they could predict me reasonable grades? Not only can I forget about Uni but I'm scared I may get kicked out of my sixth form as my sort of grades affect league tables. I am so extremely disappointed. You really do get out what you put in :frown:

Do we have to show our AS grades on our applications? Will lots of solid work experience and a good personal statement maybe help balance things out? I'm not sure how results are affected in relation to the new specifications so I'm honestly clueless rn? SOMEONE PLS HELP.

Have you thought about retaking Year 12 entirely?
i am in the same boat :redface:
well try your best next year and if you think you need to do 3 years instead then i would recommend it :yy:
Original post by RZA17

Yes you have to put them on your application, and work experience and a ps can't always make up for them. I'd say either resit the year or take a gap year before you apply to university so you have considered grades to apply with.
Reply 4
Talk about being roasted alive by the exam boards...
Original post by RZA17

Whilst it might feel like your whole world has fallen apart they are just exams. Your poor performance is a wake up call and admittedly your own doing including lack of work and revision.

I think your grades are too poor if you wnat to get into a good uni and the obvious route is to reatke year 12 as a fresh start. You can then easily sell that in your PS if your grades improve.

The plan of getting your teachers to give good preducted grades and blagging your ps seems unrealistic. As you have to disclose a complete record then it will hamper any current application, hence you need the good grades froma retake to show your true potential.

Dont worry a year isnt that long but get your head straight.
Reply 6
I'd also suggest retaking your AS levels. Your current grades will bring down your A2 results, even if you do work really hard at them. Have you tried speaking to a teacher about your results? :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Nirgilis
Have you thought about retaking Year 12 entirely?

I have, but it's honestly the last thing I want.
Reply 8
Original post by fatima1998
i am in the same boat :redface:
well try your best next year and if you think you need to do 3 years instead then i would recommend it :yy:

It's so ****. I regret so much not putting in 100% effort. Good luck to you anyways x
Reply 9
Are you doing the new style a levels?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by 999tigger
Whilst it might feel like your whole world has fallen apart they are just exams. Your poor performance is a wake up call and admittedly your own doing including lack of work and revision.

I think your grades are too poor if you wnat to get into a good uni and the obvious route is to reatke year 12 as a fresh start. You can then easily sell that in your PS if your grades improve.

The plan of getting your teachers to give good preducted grades and blagging your ps seems unrealistic. As you have to disclose a complete record then it will hamper any current application, hence you need the good grades froma retake to show your true potential.

Dont worry a year isnt that long but get your head straight.

May have to consider retaking year 12 then :frown:
Original post by RZA17
May have to consider retaking year 12 then :frown:

I understand the disappoimtment, but in your situation its self inflicted.

Its much better to have good grades than limp on with mediocre ones.

Dont feel sorry for yourself take responsibility.

You might also want to consider doing an EPQ as well as a buffer against the AS.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by RZA17
I have, but it's honestly the last thing I want.

Honestly, don't let you put it off you.

I resat the year and changed the place I studied - ended up taking slightly different A Levels (History, Sociology and Psychology instead of History, Biology and Religious Studies) and now I study Psychology at university; something I may not have ended up doing had I not redone my AS's :^_^:
Reply 13
Original post by Hero987

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes for Psychology and English Lit, however my AS grade this year for Law (2 modules out of 4) was 50% of my overall grade. Obviously a U is unacceptable and I will have to retake.
Well i have done a third year due to changing my mind about what i want to do in the future. I'm glad i made that choice because i ended up getting 3 A's ^^
Reply 15
think about re doing As and are your subjects linear?

i also got bad grades
got 2 bs 1E and 1U
any help?
Reply 16
Original post by JC52
I'd also suggest retaking your AS levels. Your current grades will bring down your A2 results, even if you do work really hard at them. Have you tried speaking to a teacher about your results? :smile:

My AS results for 2 subjects don't contribute towards my final A level grade, it's just the fact Uni's will see them and determine whether I get a place or not. I haven't been able to speak to a teacher today as Year 13's A Level results take precedence over Year 12's AS results, but I will be seeing my personal tutor tomorrow. WISH ME LUCK!
Reply 17
Original post by Hero987

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep, and I'm the anomaly.
Reply 18
Original post by 999tigger
I understand the disappoimtment, but in your situation its self inflicted.

Its much better to have good grades than limp on with mediocre ones.

Dont feel sorry for yourself take responsibility.

You might also want to consider doing an EPQ as well as a buffer against the AS.

I know. I've only got myself to blame. And I'm definitely considering doing an EPQ but with the excessive workload and pressure that comes with failure, I'll have to really think whether I can deal with another thing on my plate.
Reply 19
Retake the as which actually counts and work really hard for the other 2 and you'll be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest