The Student Room Group

Anyone's A level results lower than expected?

Hey, I was wondering if anyone else had the same problem as me this year? Every single one of my A level results was exactly 1 grade lower than predicted. Fortunately I still managed to get into university with no issue, however after asking about 20 other friends almost all of them said the same.

I got told my coursework module was an A the entire year, and on my results it was marked at a C? I'm not too annoyed by it though as it didn't effect me as much, however I know some people who didn't get their first choice because of it.

Do you think it is an issue with the grade boundaries maybe? I reckon they bumped them all up because it's the final year ( at least for my college), before every course changes to the 2 years and one final exam style.

Just wondered if anyone else had noticed their results were lower than expected etc? :smile:
Yep, thought I'd get AABB (chemistry, pe, maths and biology) but got BBBC so fairly dissapointing for me.

Not sure whether they are decent results
Yes, however each year there are people disappointed with their results. It likely isn't a grade boundary issue but I am sorry you didn't get the results you wanted.
Original post by connorg35
Hey, I was wondering if anyone else had the same problem as me this year? Every single one of my A level results was exactly 1 grade lower than predicted. Fortunately I still managed to get into university with no issue, however after asking about 20 other friends almost all of them said the same.

I got told my coursework module was an A the entire year, and on my results it was marked at a C? I'm not too annoyed by it though as it didn't effect me as much, however I know some people who didn't get their first choice because of it.

Do you think it is an issue with the grade boundaries maybe? I reckon they bumped them all up because it's the final year ( at least for my college), before every course changes to the 2 years and one final exam style.

Just wondered if anyone else had noticed their results were lower than expected etc? :smile:

Teachers tend to over predict
Reply 4
The problem with coursework is that the teachers give you a mark there and then, and use last years grade boundaries to predict what grade it is and that's not often made clear. There can be significant difference in grade boundaries and therefore UMS scores the following year. Not only that, but teachers can often mark leniently. I don't think I've ever had a piece of coursework marked that hasn't changed by a mark or two.

The UMS scalings on these lower mark modules and also internally-marked modules can also be crazy. The difference in UMS between 41/50 and 44/50 on AQA Physics 6T is a gaping 9 UMS marks, for example.

One thing I learnt from GCSE and took into A-level - Never rely too much on the coursework. If you're looking for a particular score in the exam because of what you got told about the coursework, then aim even higher.
(edited 7 years ago)
Yeah was predicted AAAA but got AABC :frown:
I was predicted A/A* for my biology A Level but received a C grade instead.

I feel frustrated and disappointed as I was getting As and A*s on practice papers in timed conditions and was sure that I would get at least a B.
Original post by connorg35

Only done AS level however through the year I was getting B's and A's in my subjects(Maths, CompSci, Psychology) except Physics which I can't do. I expected decent results but I just received CCDE, which has been pretty shocking. Totally didn't expect that but at least I can move on to my second year.
Reply 8
Original post by SirHotWings
Only done AS level however through the year I was getting B's and A's in my subjects(Maths, CompSci, Psychology) except Physics which I can't do. I expected decent results but I just received CCDE, which has been pretty shocking. Totally didn't expect that but at least I can move on to my second year.
Don't worry about it. You can still do well. I got the same as you in AS and I collected my results today and ended up with BBC and I only resat one module. I'm sure you'll do fine if you put in the work.
IT sucks that there's a few of us in the same boat, but hopefully you'll all get where you want to eventually! :smile:
Thanks man, I know I can it's just a shame as I put in so much work and didn't get that much out. I don't have any problems with Maths I found C1 and C2 fairly simple so I must have made some stupid accuracy mistakes or something and Psychology apparently was very diverse in results for everyone so I guess I just messed it up. Hopefully I can get my grades up to at least ABB for uni(sheffield) next year. I guess the problem was that all my subjects except Maths were at least a brand new or changed spec, with CompSci being a brand new subject with limited resources. Also I didn't want to do bad in Physics (E) so I dedicated a few hours to it which probably could have been used better.

It shouldn't effect my uni offers though due to my predicted grades being fine and the fact I do the STEM program at Sheffield Uni so that should help and I got on the good side of the CompSci teacher there who apparently is the like entrance application reviewer xD

Thank you for the support :smile:.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TimidPhoenix
I was predicted A/A* for my biology A Level but received a C grade instead.

I feel frustrated and disappointed as I was getting As and A*s on practice papers in timed conditions and was sure that I would get at least a B.

Don't feel bad, I got a D :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest