The Student Room Group

24th Aug: How important are exam results?

On The Surgery this week we’re giving advice on what to do after exams, whatever your grades.

How much pressure did your parents put on you to do well in your exams? Did you get the grades you wanted? Do you need good grades to do well in life?

Join Gemma and Dr Radha on The Surgery on Wednesday 24th August for advice and support on life after exams, and share your experiences here.

Remember: you can post on this forum anonymously..
Original post by BBC Radio 1
On The Surgery this week we’re giving advice on what to do after exams, whatever your grades.

How much pressure did your parents put on you to do well in your exams? Did you get the grades you wanted? Do you need good grades to do well in life?

Join Gemma and Dr Radha on The Surgery on Wednesday 24th August for advice and support on life after exams, and share your experiences here.

I think good grades are usually a stepping stone to get to whatever the next stage you want to get to. For example, GCSEs - you need them to get onto A-level courses, summer schools as well and the top grades for Oxford and/or medical schools - on that topic, I think it is very sad (but also understandable) to see people needing really good GCSE / AS level results to apply for medicine - it must no doubt leave a lot of people disappointed when they're likely to have known / been set on studying medicine and being a doctor for whatever reason - whether it's them or their parents that want them to be doctors.

But anyway, I think it's not just about grades in life, but other skills and experience as well to be able to talk about in interviews and actually be competent enough in the job. You could be the most brilliant student ever and be involved in nothing at all and have no skills or experience, it just wouldn't be enough - if you have decent grades, skills and experience then you're setting yourself up well.
Reply 2
My parents have always been pretty chilled out about exam results, as long as they know I tried my hardest. I got ABC at AS, which I was so surprised with considering how hard the year went. I want to become a journalist, and I know a lot of people with lower grades who are going into journalism via apprenticeships, or starting at the bottom with very lesser known magazines or websites and hoping to work their way up. I'm planning to study journalism at uni, and hopefully that will allow me to enter the career in a higher position than others, but I do worry that maybe those other people will have more experience than I do by the time I graduate. However, I know I'd be more confident applying to a job with good grades and a degree than without them.

I've just done my GCSEs and I want really good grades - but we will find out on Thursday! :redface:

Only yesterday, did I decide what I am going to do, but who knows, by Thursday this may well change again - and I am very welcome to any advice on this. I've decided to go into an Engineering Apprenticeship instead of going to college to study Maths, FM, Physics and Chemistry and then progress into a degree in Physics or a STEM subject.

My parents really haven't pressured me into following any particular route, as neither of them have been to university or college and can't really advise me on graduate prospects. I really liked the idea of college and uni but I feel that getting some money behind me, and then possibly looking at sponsored degrees or cheaper/financially supported ways to get a degree. This way, I feel I will have experience (which is more important in Engineering, I feel) and then still have the opportunity to get higher qualifications with no or less debt from student loans.

However, like I said, if anyone wants to offer advice then I'd love to hear it - and Thursday may throw up some surprises :wink:.
Reply 4
For me, exam results are very important. Mainly since I want to get into Medicine, but also because it proves myself. I'd hate to be underachieving, and I know I can do very well, so I'd like to prove it!

I'd like to say my parents never put any pressure on me to achieve high grades, and for the most part, they haven't! Although, during GCSE year, my mother would always say to me "You're my last hope for all A*s at GCSE" which not only made me uncomfortable, since I knew I wouldn't get it (SPOILER: I didn't), it made my brothers and sister feel uncomfortable - as if they'd let her down. She'd always follow it up with some silly sentiment about it 'being just a joke' and that shed 'be proud no matter what we got' but it sometimes just made me feel a bit sick.

This year, I got the grades I wanted, which I was happy at. But part of me feels sick, since I felt more relieved than happy? I feel bad that I don't really feel that happy about it when my best friend didn't get back into school, but I guess I can't help what I feel.

I feel like no-one needs good grades to do well in life, but it makes it a whole lot easier! And of course, wanting to go into medicine, I need good grades. I can't afford to slack off, otherwise I may no longer be able to achieve my dream...

Edit: I've also always felt the need to do better than my siblings in exams. So I don't get forgotten about, I guess. It's not like they all had amazing grades, but it's something for me to aim for...
(edited 7 years ago)
very ****ing important
My parents are happy with whatever I get, because they have seen how much time I have put into revision and prep.

The pressure is quite immense to get good grades because it would be the factor in if I get into University and if all the effort at GCSE and A-Level would be for nothing, studying Medicine requires no mistakes and A* A* A at A-Level.

Students are getting smarter though, they are able to gauge how much work they really will need to put into their idea career path and thus I feel the parental input might not be the deciding factor, atleast for myself, I was my motivator and I put the pressure on myself to try and achieve high.

Good grades aren't essential to do well in life, but in order for you to have personal happiness and be able to go into your ideal career via it being your choice University etc, your grades do matter, without it you might not be able to achieve your dream.
The difference between booze or bleach on Thursday night :eek:

On a more serious note, I'd say that they're essential for me personally for what I plan to do post year 11; Sixth form with my option choices requiring any 4 C grades + a B in said topic.
My parents actually don't care how I do, even though they are high achievers themselves. I think is probably because of all the things I've went through with my medical condition. Along with the fact that my medical condition comes with severe hearing impairment as well.

I got the GCSE grades I wanted, but I still felt I could do better. Good grades are required for medicine, so for me is a yes. But ultimately, is not compulsory to have good grades to be successful in life, since there are high school dropouts who are billionaires now.

In terms of pressure, it was different. My mother does not expect a lot, in contrast to my father. He expected to give my best and in addition to it. No matter in what a mood I were at that time. Have broken off the school, after a long time, I decided to catch the missing time up and got the A levels by second-chance education. The grades were quite bad, but as I didn't expect something, I didn't care. Got an apprenticeship and I am working now. My experience: good grades are overrated, it is not a guarantee for a good life.*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending