The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Punkrockfan
Hello,

I was hoping to apply for Law and I even took part in the Law residential at Trinity.

But my AS grades are a disaster. I got ABBCC (History, Geography, Literature, Politics and Math). If my teachers predict me a grade higher for my top 3, I should have an A*AA prediction which is the entry requirement. Do I stand even the smallest chance?

Thank you!

Hello and thanks for your question. I'm sorry to hear that you are unhappy with your results. I think that you would be best waiting to get A*AA or above before applying as you are likely to be deselected with ABBCC. You might be best focusing on a smaller number of subjects. 5 is a lot of AS Levels.
Original post by Newmember100
Hi everyone,

I'm in year 12 and would like to do natural sciences. This summer I got an A* in my maths A level with a UMS of 599/600 and A's in Physics and Chemistry AS (no UMS as it's reformed subjects)
I also did FP1 (self taught where I got UMS of 87) and D2 (where I got UMS of 80)
My total UMS average is 95.75%
Do you think I would make a competitive application?

Hello and well done on your results. Yes, you will be competitive for Nat Sci with those results. Best of luck! :smile:
Original post by Christ's Admissions
Hello and well done on your results. Yes, you will be competitive for Nat Sci with those results. Best of luck! :smile:

Thank you :smile: would the 80 UMS in Decision 2 not make me a weaker candidate?
Original post by Newmember100
Thank you :smile: would the 80 UMS in Decision 2 not make me a weaker candidate?

It's not a great result but it's one module. You've shown strength elsewhere, though, so I wouldn't worry to much. Very few applications have perfect scores.
It's not a great result but it's one module. You've shown strength elsewhere, though, so I wouldn't worry to much. Very few applications have perfect scores.

Just an interesting point,
I got a U in D1, E in S4 and D in D2 and cambridge accepted me this morning for maths 😂😂😂😂.
I love it that Cambridge Maths doesn't care on bit for Decision maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are you doing ASes in Wales or Northern Ireland? If so, a SUMS of 93.5 is a little lower than most successful medics but it's not unusual to be accepted with that profile. I certainly think you'd get an interview and you'd be competitive providing you did well on other aspects of the application.

Yes I am indeed. Unfortunately a 90 in one of my sciences dropped my average quite a bit. So provided I do well on other aspects like the BMAT, Interview, PS I could still receive an offer. If I were to receive an offer hypothetically speaking, is it likely my offer would be higher than the average offer e.g A*A*A* instead of A*A*A?

Thank you very much.
Original post by physicsmaths
Just an interesting point,
I got a U in D1, E in S4 and D in D2 and cambridge accepted me this morning for maths 😂😂😂😂.
I love it that Cambridge Maths doesn't care on bit for Decision maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile

God knows I'm no mathmo, but it does seem like a bit of an odd option in Maths. I know lots of very strong applicants for Maths, Nat Sci and Engineeering with great Maths modules and duff Decisions ones. Well done on being accepted btw, great news!
(edited 7 years ago)
God knows I'm no mathmo, but it does seem like a bit of a pointless option in Maths. I onow lots of very strong applicants for Maths, Nat Sci and Engineeering with great Maths modules and duff Decisions ones. Well done on being accepted btw, great news!

Indeed it is!
Decision modules are useless pretty much except for 1 course in IB where they come slightly handy.
It is all algorithms and applying stuff blindly and easy stuff. Hence why it is being taken out of A level completely!
Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
Indeed it is!
Decision modules are useless pretty much except for 1 course in IB where they come slightly handy.
It is all algorithms and applying stuff blindly and easy stuff. Hence why it is being taken out of A level completely!
Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's a relief then! I wont have to listen to students tell me how bad decision maths is and that I should ignore how they did! :smile:
Original post by desertlover
Yes I am indeed. Unfortunately a 90 in one of my sciences dropped my average quite a bit. So provided I do well on other aspects like the BMAT, Interview, PS I could still receive an offer. If I were to receive an offer hypothetically speaking, is it likely my offer would be higher than the average offer e.g A*A*A* instead of A*A*A?

Thank you very much.

Excellent, good to still have some UMS questions even in the reformed era! :smile: You could still very much receive an offer with that profile yes. You *might* get a higher offer but it wouldn't be as a consequence of your UMS alone, it would have to involve other factors I would think.
Hello, has the university decided whether they are using the raw marks for reformed subjects as I have seen you mentioned somewhere they have hold of our results. Thank you.
Original post by anonymousdude24
Hello, has the university decided whether they are using the raw marks for reformed subjects as I have seen you mentioned somewhere they have hold of our results. Thank you.

We are not going to ask for raw marks in reformed subjects this year. Teachers can mention them in the reference if they wish.
We don't offer PPE at Cambridge, it's an Oxford course. Economics at Cambridge is very mathematical (in many ways it becomes something of an applied statistics course) and so you would need at least 19 in Maths and 20 would be better. Not having Economics is not really a problem at this stage, most students have it but it's not essential.

Sorry for the confusion. The thing is I'm also considering LSE and they have PPE there.

With a 18,6 final grade and the individual scores I previously mentioned (Math 19, Portuguese 19, English 20, Physics/Chemistry 17, Biology/Geology 17, Philosophy 17, Biology 20, Comp. Science 20), what are the odds of getting an interview for Econ? What about Land Econ?

Thanks in advance!
Original post by Watawata
Sorry for the confusion. The thing is I'm also considering LSE and they have PPE there.

With a 18,6 final grade and the individual scores I previously mentioned (Math 19, Portuguese 19, English 20, Physics/Chemistry 17, Biology/Geology 17, Philosophy 17, Biology 20, Comp. Science 20), what are the odds of getting an interview for Econ? What about Land Econ?

Thanks in advance!

No problem. Assuming you did well on the assessment then I think you'd get an interview.
Hey! Just got my AS results back and they're as follows;

C1, C2, C3: 100.
M1, C4: 96
FP1: 91
Economics: A
Predicted A* in all internal school exams

Will my disaster module in FP1 make a huge difference? I'm writing a research project on artificial intelligence for my EPQ, am a head of school, head of maths society, and have a few independent projects related to my subject - Comp. Sci - under the belt. Will I be competitive when applying for Cambridge?

Thank you in advance.
Original post by chuenleiklow
Hey! Just got my AS results back and they're as follows;

C1, C2, C3: 100.
M1, C4: 96
FP1: 91
Economics: A
Predicted A* in all internal school exams

Will my disaster module in FP1 make a huge difference? I'm writing a research project on artificial intelligence for my EPQ, am a head of school, head of maths society, and have a few independent projects related to my subject - Comp. Sci - under the belt. Will I be competitive when applying for Cambridge?

Thank you in advance.

Hello and congratulations on your results. 91 in FP1 isnt a disaster. Yes, you'll be competitive at this stage.
Hello and congratulations on your results. 91 in FP1 isnt a disaster. Yes, you'll be competitive at this stage.

Thank you very much for the speedy reply. Just for clarity, competitive means that it is likely I'll be able to obtain an interview with a decent Personal Statement, interview, and CSAT. Yes?
Original post by 124375
Hi, for year 11s(will hopefully be applying for medicine) I was just wondering if we only do the AS exam for the subject we're dropping will this disadvantage us as we won't have a UMS average at all yet alone an SUMS?
Thanks

Well, it depends on which subject you drop but as long as it isn't biology or chemistry then no, you wont be disadvantaged.
Original post by chuenleiklow
Thank you very much for the speedy reply. Just for clarity, competitive means that it is likely I'll be able to obtain an interview with a decent Personal Statement, interview, and CSAT. Yes?

Yes. You wouldn't be very competitive if you weren't likely to get an interview. :smile: Both the CSAT and the interview (!) take place at the time of interview, so with your Maths scores I cant see why a college wouldn't call you to interview.
No problem. Assuming you did well on the assessment then I think you'd get an interview.

Thanks for such a quick reply!

Just one last question: on the section "Information for applicants from Portugal" on Cambridge's website, under "Entry requirements", it says "Typical offers for applicants taking the Diploma de Ensino Secundário / Certificado de fim de Estudios Secundários with a minimum score of 18.0 in all subjects (...) ".

Just to be sure, does this refer to individual subject scores (as in 18 or above on every subject), or to the average score across all subjects? If it is the first, then I wouldn't qualify.

Sorry for making so many questions and thanks again!

PS: Any insight on tuition fee loans for EU students applying for 2017 entry? I'm kind of worried these will be discontinued.
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest