The Student Room Group

Medicine 2017 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Natalierm2707
Cardiff, QUB, Birmingham, Edinburgh, Oxford are what I would class as GCSE heavy.

a lot of other med schools require high GCSE grades to so ensure you have a look closely at these if you want to apply to them: Nottingham, HYMS, Liverpool, Lancaster, HYMS, SGUL, St Andrews, Kings, Southampton.

Thank you!!
For Cambridge what average UMS (AS) should you be aiming for????
Original post by nellyelephant
For Cambridge what average UMS (AS) should you be aiming for????

Above 90% definetly, ideally above 95% in chem and bio x
I achieved AAAA at AS in biology, chemistry, psychology and Spanish; it's a shame that my UKCAT went awful averaging 610, my school teachers said that they would predict 1 grade above unless it was a low A so chances are I'm going to be predicted A*A*A*A* I think that I'm going to try to achieve these grades and then retake the UKCAT next year.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by marcobruni98
I achieved AAAA at AS in biology, chemistry, psychology and Spanish; it's a shame that my UKCAT went awful averaging 610, my school teachers said that they would predict 1 grade above unless it was a low A so chances are I'm going to be predicted A*A*A*A* I think that I'm going to try to achieve these grades and then retake the UKCAT next year.

Have you considered taking the BMAT? :h:
Also, there are some universities that will accept you with that score (can't name them off of the top of my head, but I think Keele is one of them if you have a lot of volunteer work) so there's no need to worry.

It could be a good idea for you to just apply next year instead if that's what you would prefer, though.

Also, before you start coming to conclusions about the UKCAT, wait until the statistics are released. People have been finding VR difficult this year (they always do, so I'm not sure if it's any different), so it's possible the average score may be dragged down a bit. I wouldn't place too much hope in this, though.
Original post by Gogregg
Have you considered taking the BMAT? :h:
Also, there are some universities that will accept you with that score (can't name them off of the top of my head, but I think Keele is one of them if you have a lot of volunteer work) so there's no need to worry.

It could be a good idea for you to just apply next year instead if that's what you would prefer, though.

Also, before you start coming to conclusions about the UKCAT, wait until the statistics are released. People have been finding VR difficult this year (they always do, so I'm not sure if it's any different), so it's possible the average score may be dragged down a bit. I wouldn't place too much hope in this, though.

Thank you for your reply, I have considered the BMAT however I don't do maths or physics so I'm at a great disadvantage on that one :/ I'm going to try my best on it anyway. Also most unis that want BMAT also want really high GCSEs which I don't have... The only thing that might save me is the fact that I do two essay based subjects so I will hopefully do alright on the essay. It's so annoying that for both the BMAT and UKCAT being good at maths is so helpful, my dad is a surgeon and he tells me that he rarely ever uses maths apart from very basic statistics. Frustrating.
(edited 7 years ago)
I have considered the BMAT however I don't do maths or physics so I'm at a great disadvantage on that one :/ I'm going to try my best on it anyway. Also most unis that want BMAT also want high GCSEs which I don't have...

The content is supposed to be at GCSE level, so you shouldn't be at a dissadvantage :h:
ICL don't look at your GCSEs, so if you have 2 weeks work experience, definitely apply there, BSMS aren't all too harsh either :smile:
Not sure about Leeds, though. I do know that Lancaster ranks As and A*s the same, if you have quite a few As at GCSE :u:
Cambridge want High As at AS.

So all is not over!
Give it some more thought and then see what you're willing to do :h:
I got an AAAA in Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics and Physics! Yay hopefully I'll be predicted A*A*A* and A in AS Physics ( I am going to drop it). Which universities are prioritizing AS levels? I know University of Birmingham isn't even looking at AS levels at all.
EDIT: Just found this https://www.themedicportal.com/medical-schools-as-levels-2017-entry/
This means although I did well in AS most universities won't even look at it :facepalm:
(edited 7 years ago)
So I got 2 Bs and 2 As for my results - I was wondering if I could still apply to Barts since I know they use a UCAS tariff and I don't know if the Bs will bring me down (i haven't done the UKCAT yet)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nomophobia
So I got 2 Bs and 2 As for my results - I was wondering if I could still apply to Barts since I know they use a UCAS tariff and I don't know if the Bs will bring me down (i haven't done the UKCAT yet)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Barts will look at your A2 predicted instead of your AS I believe. Just make sure to get at least an AAA prediction. I'm in the same boat, got AABB today too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Barts are UKCAT heavy! Make sure to prepare for it properly :smile:
Original post by Gogregg
The content is supposed to be at GCSE level, so you shouldn't be at a dissadvantage :h:
ICL don't look at your GCSEs, so if you have 2 weeks work experience, definitely apply there, BSMS aren't all too harsh either :smile:
Not sure about Leeds, though. I do know that Lancaster ranks As and A*s the same, if you have quite a few As at GCSE :u:
Cambridge want High As at AS.

So all is not over!
Give it some more thought and then see what you're willing to do :h:

I was looking at past papers and the biology and chemistry questions include a lot of stuff I learnt in year 12... I will tell you once I've deviced a study plan for it haha, I also think I'm going to take AS maths next year to help me a bit in the test.
I was looking at past papers and the biology and chemistry questions include a lot of stuff I learnt in year 12... I will tell you once I've deviced a study plan for it haha, I also think I'm going to take AS maths next year to help me a bit in the test.

Bleh, you just reminded me that I need to start preparing for it :lol:
But I've got my driving theory to do first and then I need to learn C3 maths and, urgh, too much stuff!

Sounds like a good game plan to me!
They say that for the BMAT, you don't need to buy any books, and it is best just to use the specification and past papers :smile:
Original post by ipanda99
Barts will look at your A2 predicted instead of your AS I believe. Just make sure to get at least an AAA prediction. I'm in the same boat, got AABB today too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you applying to Barts as well?

Barts are UKCAT heavy! Make sure to prepare for it properly :smile:

Thank you! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are you applying to Barts as well?

Thank you! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yup, the plan is still to apply to Barts. I'm planning to apply to ones that will not look at AS levels and rather focus more on predicted grades. Do you know what your on track to be predicted?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ipanda99
Yup, the plan is still to apply to Barts. I'm planning to apply to ones that will not look at AS levels and rather focus more on predicted grades. Do you know what your on track to be predicted?

Posted from TSR Mobile

you're* oops😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do AS levels even count for anything this year apart from predictions
Does anybody know of any medical schools who look upon high level sport more favorably than others??
Original post by nellyelephant
Does anybody know of any medical schools who look upon high level sport more favorably than others??

the universities that look heavily at the personal statement are more likely to favour high levels of sport, but you will also need a great personal statement with some other good things in. Have a look at Bristol, Sheffield and Liverpool.
Original post by Natalierm2707
Cardiff will be a good one with your GCSEs, also look at birmingham, bristol, QUB and even kings as your GCSEs are very high.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Will kings and Bristol not discriminate due to the band 3? :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending