The Student Room Group

STEP Prep Thread 2016 (Mark. II)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by physicsmaths
Its trinity ikr.
Dw all will be good.
What raw marks were your II n III?
Your chances in the pool are very very high.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Marks were 80 and 76 in 2/3 - given I basically panicked for half of each exam, I am absolutely shocked by those (11 marks higher than I was expecting in both) and was really expecting 2,2.

I hope so - I had to phone them up and they just said that there wasn't space. They seemed to be strongly implying I would get fished which I thought was a bit unfair in case I didn't but 'whatcha gonna do?'.

It's probably here somewhere, but how did it go for you? Did they let you in with 11?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by tridianprime
Marks were 80 and 76 in 2/3 - given I basically panicked for half of each exam, I am absolutely shocked by those (11 marks higher than I was expecting in both) and was really expecting 2,2.

I hope so - I had to phone them up and they just said that there wasn't space. They seemed to be strongly implying I would get fished which I thought was a bit unfair in case I didn't but 'whatcha gonna do?'.

It's probably here somewhere, but how did it go for you? Did they let you in with 11?

I got 87 in II and 78 in III and got accepted.
Yeh, so basically trinity have pooled people quite regularly with 1,1 last year and the year before and 1 guy with S,1 and nearly all get fished.
Yeh trinity doesn't have space hence why they have to reject you if you dont meet it, it is just trinity as a whole the hardly ever accept anyone with a misssed offer especially for maths.
If you get 1,1 you get flagged and are basically picked out for strength in some circulation of emails of some sort between DoS's etc so you will be fished most likely!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeh, so basically trinity have pooled people quite regularly with 1,1 last year and the year before and 1 guy with S,1 and nearly all get fished.
Yeh trinity doesn't have space hence why they have to reject you if you dont meet it, it is just trinity as a whole the hardly ever accept anyone with a misssed offer especially for maths.
If you get 1,1 you get flagged and are basically picked out for strength in some circulation of emails of some sort between DoS's etc so you will be fished most likely!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well done on getting in this time :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It makes sense.

It bugs me though because all this time the Trinity dons have been casually telling me how A Levels are meaningless to them and STEP is what counts and nothing more (except interview of course).

They must be rich enough to make one more space surely - maybe special consideration because I only got A in GCSE, so have a great value added? For some reason I doubt they will. :flute:
It makes sense.

It bugs me though because all this time the Trinity dons have been casually telling me how A Levels are meaningless to them and STEP is what counts and nothing more (except interview of course).

They must be rich enough to make one more space surely - maybe special consideration because I only got A in GCSE, so have a great value added? For some reason I doubt they will. :flute:

It is not that.
It is just the fact they can't reject everyone who met their offer to make space :wink:.
Original post by IrrationalRoot
Well done on getting in this time :smile:

Cheers mate!
Well done on your marks!
Have fun at wozza!
It makes sense.

To be fair to them this is quite possibly a case of distinction between dons and admissions tutors. The maths faculty very regularly say that and I don't think they're trying to mislead you when they do. However, there are a limited number of spaces - limited not just by their wealth but their amounts of accommodation and possibly quotas imposed by the college and (much less likely) the university or government. Unfortunately in this case I think Trinity have had a dearth of successful applicants and so you'll have been pooled instead.

For what it's worth I would be astounded if you are not pooled and fished out at another college with having met the STEP offer. As mentioned above, the college Directors of Studies do participate in the pool with supporting their stronger poolees and this should work in your favour.

If you do get pooled don't get hung up on Trinity either. You'll love whether you end up (or your money back :wink: ) and after their pooling of this years Senior Wrangler it's clear they're not infallible.
Original post by DJMayes
To be fair to them this is quite possibly a case of distinction between dons and admissions tutors. The maths faculty very regularly say that and I don't think they're trying to mislead you when they do. However, there are a limited number of spaces - limited not just by their wealth but their amounts of accommodation and possibly quotas imposed by the college and (much less likely) the university or government. Unfortunately in this case I think Trinity have had a dearth of successful applicants and so you'll have been pooled instead.

For what it's worth I would be astounded if you are not pooled and fished out at another college with having met the STEP offer. As mentioned above, the college Directors of Studies do participate in the pool with supporting their stronger poolees and this should work in your favour.

If you do get pooled don't get hung up on Trinity either. You'll love whether you end up (or your money back :wink: ) and after their pooling of this years Senior Wrangler it's clear they're not infallible.

No, you are of course right - I was just being light hearted. I'm not too bothered where I go - a big reason for picking Trinity was the breakfast seemed good so I'm not too fussy.
I got 1,1,1 for STEP

STEP 1 : 1 (93)
STEP 2: 1 (81)
STEP 3: 1 (65)
Anyone heard from @Insight314? He is normally so loquacious; I am starting to feel a little worried about him... :frown:
Hello, does getting a 63 in step 2 worth remarking ( the 2/3 boundary is 65) thanks
Original post by anonymousdude24
Hello, does getting a 63 in step 2 worth remarking ( the 2/3 boundary is 65) thanks

Do you need a 2 for uni? If so and they haven't accepted you then I would get a remark.
Just wondering, if you want to take maths at a uni and STEP is required, do you do the STEP exam during your A2s or AS? And also where do you do the exam? Who provides the centre to enable you to do the exam? Sorry I'm only doing GCSEs so I don't really know how it works ahaha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DamnDaniel2
Just wondering, if you want to take maths at a uni and STEP is required, do you do the STEP exam during your A2s or AS? And also where do you do the exam? Who provides the centre to enable you to do the exam? Sorry I'm only doing GCSEs so I don't really know how it works ahaha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

A2s - some schools will provide it, if not you'll go to an exam centre and have to make the arrangements wholly on your own.
Original post by ValerieKR
A2s - some schools will provide it, if not you'll go to an exam centre and have to make the arrangements wholly on your own.

Oh right ok :smile: thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3176
Original post by DamnDaniel2

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you're doing GCSE's, it's a bit early for you to be thinking about all of this. Chill out a bit. Anyway, it's called the sixth term examination paper, so it's sat in the sixth term, i.e: along with your A2's. You do the exam where you normally do your A2's, most likely your school. The centre provides the centre, not sure what you're asking there.
Reply 3177
Original post by gsckmom
Anyone heard from @Insight314? He is normally so loquacious; I am starting to feel a little worried about him... :frown:

Last I heard, he's in the pool. Check the Cambridge Offer Holders Thread for info from some of his posts. I feel for the guy. :/
I can say he is okay.
Just worried about the pool.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No, you are of course right - I was just being light hearted. I'm not too bothered where I go - a big reason for picking Trinity was the breakfast seemed good so I'm not too fussy.

True, the breakfast is great haha.
I hear brunch at Pembroke is mental.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending