The Student Room Group

Resit or Remark [AS]

Long story short:

Got a B in law - worst case scenario. My law teacher was shocked because he predicted me an A* for A2 before I even received my AS results.
Throughout the year I have been achieving 100% in every assessment and every mock exam for unit 1 and 2 respectively.

I came out of results day with the following on each paper:
Unit 1 - 69 UMS (C)
Unit 2 - 79 UMS (B)

My law teacher was confused considering other students who have been achieving 100% throughout the year have similar UMS scores (one has 67 UMS for paper one and another has 71 UMS for paper one - both ended up with a B as well).
I'm not in any stable financial situation nor is my family in order to pay for remarks and we don't want to risk losing any money because of the new remark system.

My law teacher strongly believes that our unit 1 was marked incorrectly. Half of the class were achieving 80%-100% on every single mock exam etc. and he's just so confused as to why this has happened.

Should I resit unit 1 because I simply cannot afford a remark for unit 1? And does resitting an exam create a lot of pressure during A2 because I get anxiety and have high levels of stress in school?
If it's the majority of your class that have received the same results, have you considered that maybe your teacher wasn't marking your mocks/assessments/texts very well himself? That's the first conclusion that I have come to.
Original post by dreamboxzoe
If it's the majority of your class that have received the same results, have you considered that maybe your teacher wasn't marking your mocks/assessments/texts very well himself? That's the first conclusion that I have come to.

My law teacher is an examiner (I have no idea if he marked this years AS/A2 papers though). I highly doubt it.
Original post by Muttski
My law teacher is an examiner (I have no idea if he marked this years AS/A2 papers though). I highly doubt it.

The school should pay for a remark of the paper 1s of anyone who wants one - the teacher needs to understand why everyone has done worse than he expected.
Original post by Muttley79
The school should pay for a remark of the paper 1s of anyone who wants one - the teacher needs to understand why everyone has done worse than he expected.

He's going to get a photocopy of my exam paper back and he's going to go through it with me - he's doing this with other students too.
He doesn't understand why all of the high achievers have been marked so low for unit 1 (the other students all got U's which is a real shame).

This is the first time in our school that the law results have been this bad - last year he had 25 A's and 5B's. This year he has 1 A, 16 B's and the rest are C grades or U grades (no D's or E's).
Reply 5
Original post by Muttski
He's going to get a photocopy of my exam paper back and he's going to go through it with me - he's doing this with other students too.
He doesn't understand why all of the high achievers have been marked so low for unit 1 (the other students all got U's which is a real shame)..

If the school is already getting the script back then I'd wait for that and see what comes out of it - they're generally back with 10 days, often much less. Although very few state schools can afford to pay for many re-marks, they may be more prepared to do so if the scripts show obvious poor marking.
Original post by Compost
If the school is already getting the script back then I'd wait for that and see what comes out of it - they're generally back with 10 days, often much less. Although very few state schools can afford to pay for many re-marks, they may be more prepared to do so if the scripts show obvious poor marking.

Yeah, but would you recommend I resit or remark?
Reply 7
Original post by Muttski
Yeah, but would you recommend I resit or remark?

I recommend you wait to see what happens when the scripts come back before making any decisions..

Quick Reply

Latest