The Student Room Group

Need help resitting year 12

Hi, I just got my AS results back and I did terrible. Maths-C Chemistry-E Physics-U
I am 100 percent going to resit this year no matter what because these results are not enough for my future aspirations. I am also going to drop physics and take biology instead and I will be taking economics aswell for a backup plan. However I have one question to ask you guys. Will Russel group uni's look down at me and not let me into their uni's for resitting a year? I want to have a science degree or an accounting degree. (Not medicine)
Btw i did bad this year because of a lack of revision and effort unfortunately. I did not find lessons hard besides for physics.
(edited 7 years ago)
Depends on the uni. I think oxbridge are pretty strict on resits but the majority of russel groups are not. You might be best emailing a few unis to hear what they think directly.
Original post by Juvanile
Btw i did bad this year because of a lack of revision and effort unfortunately. I did not find lessons hard besides for physics.

Then is it necessary for you to resit the year? These results do not impact your final grade anyway. Why not just do better next year?
Original post by TheStudent19
Then is it necessary for you to resit the year? These results do not impact your final grade anyway. Why not just do better next year?

Bad AS grades= bad prediction grades for uni
Reply 4
As the gentleman said above me bad predictions for uni which will make me look bad and i would have to resit a couple of exams and do my a levels which is too much for me to handle
Original post by OddFuturez
Bad AS grades= bad prediction grades for uni

Depends on your sixth form. If they think you were capable of more and were just lazy, they may give you higher predictions anyway
Reply 6
Depends on your sixth form. If they think you were capable of more and were just lazy, they may give you higher predictions anyway

My sixth form said the highest predicted gradr they can give you is one grade above the grade u got for AS. In my case that is not enough.
Reply 7

My sixth form said the highest predicted gradr they can give you is one grade above the grade u got for AS. In my case that is not enough.
Hi, I just got my AS results back and I did terrible. Maths-C Chemistry-E Physics-U
I am 100 percent going to resit this year no matter what because these results are not enough for my future aspirations. I am also going to drop physics and take biology instead and I will be taking economics aswell for a backup plan. However I have one question to ask you guys. Will Russel group uni's look down at me and not let me into their uni's for resitting a year? I want to have a science degree or an accounting degree. (Not medicine)

I'm in the same situation and considering retaking the year as well. Are you thinking about taking the subjects in your current school or another one?
Reply 9
Original post by imanonymous123
I'm in the same situation and considering retaking the year as well. Are you thinking about taking the subjects in your current school or another one?

You can't resit a whole year in my sixth form so I will have to go to a college. If you have a choice I reccomend to stay unless you failed because of bad teachers.
You can't resit a whole year in my sixth form so I will have to go to a college. If you have a choice I reccomend to stay unless you failed because of bad teachers.

My head of sixth form agreed that I could stay on. But tbh, my teachers are completely terrible and I taught myself most of the content due to them not being used to the AQA specification as up until this year, they were teaching under Edexcel.
Original post by imanonymous123
My head of sixth form agreed that I could stay on. But tbh, my teachers are completely terrible and I taught myself most of the content due to them not being used to the AQA specification as up until this year, they were teaching under Edexcel.

OMG same here! Except that we switched to AQA in yr 11 and I had to teach myself AQA Core Science.
Reply 12
Original post by ChrisP97
I did my A Levels over 3 years, and was pretty much solely rejected by Warwick for economics because my initial grades were too bad (DDU). However, I still got offers from UCL and Nottingham, so it's clearly not that much of an issue.

That is great to hear since they are both very good uni's. However accounting is only a backup degree if i dont do well in my sciences again. Do you know anything about the sciences?
That is great to hear since they are both very good uni's. However accounting is only a backup degree if i dont do well in my sciences again. Do you know anything about the sciences?

By the sciences, if you mean medicine/ dentistry etc. you'll find it near impossible to get into any of the top unis as they nearly all require the grades achieved on the first attempt. For less competitive sciences though like physics & chemistry, I doubt re-sits will matter too much, as long as you do very well second time round

Quick Reply

Latest