The Student Room Group

So now what?

Okay so a lot of people would think that person getting 4 As as well as a Grade 3 in the STEP university entrance exam would be pleased with their results. However, I narrowly missed out on my A*AA offer by a few marks and my offer was also AAA with a Grade 2 in STEP.

I am currently trying to negotiate with the university even though I've been told that there are no places left on my desired course. I now have three options that I am finding difficulty deciding on.

- Try to find a job for a year ( essentially a gap year) and re-apply next year while retaking the necessary exams
-Accept my insurance university which I don't really want to go to anymore
-Apply to a different university through clearing but with the same course as my firm choice

Unfortunately I have fallen in love with my firm choice and of course would not prefer to take any of these options but I am now forced to. Any suggestions?
Original post by RodrígoRTN
Okay so a lot of people would think that person getting 4 As as well as a Grade 3 in the STEP university entrance exam would be pleased with their results. However, I narrowly missed out on my A*AA offer by a few marks and my offer was also AAA with a Grade 2 in STEP.

I am currently trying to negotiate with the university even though I've been told that there are no places left on my desired course. I now have three options that I am finding difficulty deciding on.

- Try to find a job for a year ( essentially a gap year) and re-apply next year while retaking the necessary exams
-Accept my insurance university which I don't really want to go to anymore
-Apply to a different university through clearing but with the same course as my firm choice

Unfortunately I have fallen in love with my firm choice and of course would not prefer to take any of these options but I am now forced to. Any suggestions?

You have said yourself you don't want to go to your Insurance, and you don't have to do that (though that is what I would recommend). If you can't find anything suitable in Clearing, then taking a year out is the only option left! Why don't you want to go to your insurance choice?
Reply 2
Original post by Nirgilis
You have said yourself you don't want to go to your Insurance, and you don't have to do that (though that is what I would recommend). If you can't find anything suitable in Clearing, then taking a year out is the only option left! Why don't you want to go to your insurance choice?

I think it's literally because I wanted to go to my firm choice really bad and I'm starting to think the degree is not the one that's for me.
I think it's literally because I wanted to go to my firm choice really bad and I'm starting to think the degree is not the one that's for me.

How about you go and research your Insurance choice now, and also have a look at what's about on Clearing? If you have some family at home that's interested, maybe go and get their opinion on the matter too?
Reply 4
How about you go and research your Insurance choice now, and also have a look at what's about on Clearing? If you have some family at home that's interested, maybe go and get their opinion on the matter too?

Yeah thanks that's what I've been spending my day doing, researching other universities but still quite unsure as to what my final decision should be
Yeah thanks that's what I've been spending my day doing, researching other universities but still quite unsure as to what my final decision should be

No matter what you decide tonight, sleep on it, and set your alarm for 7.30 tomorrow morning. If you decide to take your Insurance or go into Clearing, then you will need to be on the phones as soon as they open, whatever time that may be :yep:

I wish you the best man :five:
Reply 6
No matter what you decide tonight, sleep on it, and set your alarm for 7.30 tomorrow morning. If you decide to take your Insurance or go into Clearing, then you will need to be on the phones as soon as they open, whatever time that may be :yep:

I wish you the best man :five:

Will do! Thank you so much!

Quick Reply

Latest