The Student Room Group

Can I get into Medicine with these AS Levels?

So for my AS levels I got:

Maths - A
Biology - B
Chemistry - D

I dreamt of going to UCL to do medicine but I doubt that's going to happen now. Is medicine still possible? Has anyone been in a similar position?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by wajeeh1364

Maths - A
Biology - B
Chemistry - D

I dreamt of going to UCL to do medicine but I doubt that's going to happen now. Is medicine still possible? Has anyone been in a similar position?

Yeah it's still possible, but you might have to take a year out and apply with your A2 grades

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Without being predicted AAA it will be very tough. The D in chem will make it hard for you to be predicted an A for it. If you can't get predicted the required grades, I suggest you grind through A2 and try to get AAA. Then you can take a gap year and apply a year later.
Its pretty unlikely if you apply this year.

Your best option is to evaluate what went wrong, correct it, get AAA next year and apply then.

Graduate entry is also an option but is longer, more expensive and more competitive.
Well done on your maths result, the biology just needs a bit more of a push to get into A grade territory, but the chemistry grade is clearly what needs the most attention.

Are module resits still a thing? I think you need to do a few of those, try your best to get AAA and then re-apply during a gap year.

In short: yes you can get in, but maybe not straightaway. But that's okay, the most important thing is to keep going.
My advice for you would be to not even apply for university this year. Don't get distracted by UCAS, UKCAT, BMAT and the application process which is stressful enough already. The chances of your teachers giving you AAA predictions here is very very slim. Continue doing your A levels and resit some AS modules as well. Really knuckle down with your a levels. It is very much possible to still get AAA or higher with the right determination and hard work. Then when you get the grades you can apply to university in a gap year

Maths - A
Biology - B
Chemistry - D

From those results the maximum you really could get predicted would be A*AC, which sadly would not be high enough to apply for 2017 entry to medicine.

my best advice would be to focus on your A2 levels and get those A grades (resit some of your chemistry modules to pull that D up out of the water) and apply during a gap year with achieved A2 grades.
Reply 7
Original post by Natalierm2707
From those results the maximum you really could get predicted would be A*AC, which sadly would not be high enough to apply for 2017 entry to medicine.

my best advice would be to focus on your A2 levels and get those A grades (resit some of your chemistry modules to pull that D up out of the water) and apply during a gap year with achieved A2 grades.

Hey

Unfortunately chemistry is part of the a level reforms so the exams that I done were not a part of my overall a level, and I would have to redo the exams next year as part of my course.
Hey

Unfortunately chemistry is part of the a level reforms so the exams that I done were not a part of my overall a level, and I would have to redo the exams next year as part of my course.

thats even better, it means you can try harder, learn from your mistakes and have a clean slate to get that A grade!
Reply 9
Original post by Pinkberry_y
My advice for you would be to not even apply for university this year. Don't get distracted by UCAS, UKCAT, BMAT and the application process which is stressful enough already. The chances of your teachers giving you AAA predictions here is very very slim. Continue doing your A levels and resit some AS modules as well. Really knuckle down with your a levels. It is very much possible to still get AAA or higher with the right determination and hard work. Then when you get the grades you can apply to university in a gap year

Thanks for the advice :smile:. Going to work much harder this year.
Reply 10
Original post by Democracy
Well done on your maths result, the biology just needs a bit more of a push to get into A grade territory, but the chemistry grade is clearly what needs the most attention.

Are module resits still a thing? I think you need to do a few of those, try your best to get AAA and then re-apply during a gap year.

In short: yes you can get in, but maybe not straightaway. But that's okay, the most important thing is to keep going.

Thanks! I'm going to focus a lot more on chemistry this year and hopefully improve the grade.
Reply 11
Original post by nexttime
Its pretty unlikely if you apply this year.

Your best option is to evaluate what went wrong, correct it, get AAA next year and apply then.

Graduate entry is also an option but is longer, more expensive and more competitive.

I wasn't planning on the graduate entry route, so I might just take the gap year and work my a** off this year/

For my information...

Are universities having to more heavily rely on predictions this year? Is it because some applicants won't have to declare their AS grades?

I only ask as my former school had a standard policy of predicting 1 grade higher than what you got, 2 if you asked them to. That, if taken at face value and if done at other schools which I suspect it is, would really mess things up!
Reply 13
thats even better, it means you can try harder, learn from your mistakes and have a clean slate to get that A grade!

I've seen a course at Southampton University for medicine. It's part of their widening access scheme. The entry requirements are BBC. My predicted grades would comply with that. Should I at least attempt to apply for uni this year and if I end up with AAA next year take a gap year, and if I meet this offer then go for it?
Reply 14
Original post by nexttime
For my information...

Are universities having to more heavily rely on predictions this year? Is it because some applicants won't have to declare their AS grades?

I only ask as my former school had a standard policy of predicting 1 grade higher than what you got, 2 if you asked them to. That, if taken at face value and if done at other schools which I suspect it is, would really mess things up!

In medicine, it has always been that you must be predicted the entry grades- otherwise you will not get an interview. It's not that they use them in any way (in most cases), it's just that they need to lower their applicant numbers somehow. Not sure if that answers the question? :smile:
Hi! I actually have a similar question.
With regards to the AS grades, I got AAAAB, but the B was in Biology and I got A's in Chemistry and Maths, along with my other 2 AS's. Biology is a preferred/recommended subject for medicine, so should I be worried that I got a B when applying in October?

Some advice would be great! Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by StanleyCurley
Hi! I actually have a similar question.
With regards to the AS grades, I got AAAAB, but the B was in Biology and I got A's in Chemistry and Maths, along with my other 2 AS's. Biology is a preferred/recommended subject for medicine, so should I be worried that I got a B when applying in October?

Some advice would be great! Thanks in advance :smile:

No, as long as you're predicted minimum AAA.
Original post by vela1
No, as long as you're predicted minimum AAA.

oh okay, so an AAA prediction is 'enough' to get called to an interview (and i say enough with great caution) ?Thanks!!
Reply 18
Original post by StanleyCurley
oh okay, so an AAA prediction is 'enough' to get called to an interview (and i say enough with great caution) ?Thanks!!

Yes bar from a few universities which ask for A*AA (don't know which one's). Focus on your UKCAT/BMAT. I'm assuming you have some experience related to medicine i.e shadowing GPs, care home etc.
Original post by vela1
Yes bar from a few universities which ask for A*AA (don't know which one's). Focus on your UKCAT/BMAT. I'm assuming you have some experience related to medicine i.e shadowing GPs, care home etc.

Oh yeah, Im midway through a placement right now in a psych unit. Thanks a lot for your help! really appreciate it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending